Davis Cup 2018 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: Davis Cup 2018 - India

Post by knarayen »

Watching the Laver Cup matches on TV live from Chicago today and tomorrow - and seeing the crowd and player enthusiasm, suddenly it struck me - this is going to be the premier version of the Davis cup of the future. The format - Europe vs World with top 50 player participation - the camaraderie, all of it is starting to resonate with players and audiences. Davis cup will gradually transition to tier 2 and 3 players from emerging tennis countries. What do you think?
vparam
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vparam »

Prashant wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:53 am Hmm. The "World" team put up Tiafoe, Sock & Schwartzmann for today's singles matches. Not exactly electrifying, and definitely not something I would take time to watch. This doesn't come close to replacing the intensity of Davis Cup.

Now, replace that by the three BEST non-Europeans (currently del Potro / Anderson / Isner) or even the fourth best (currently Nishikori), and you might have my attention. But Francis Tiafoe? Give me a break.
Tiafoe was a last minute replacement for Del Potro.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

I watched days 1 and 2 of the laver cup on TV. No question, the players have all understood that this format is the only escape from ITF and country association control. The ITF was refusing to accommodate the top players in the ATP with their schedules. The laver cup is the only chance to wrest control. Now the ITF is waking up to the realisation that the top players may never come back to Davis cup, so they have introduced some format changes. It was 20000 strong in Chicago for the laver cup. All about what draws the crowds in. And the atp wants to move into team competition using laver cup as the vehicle. The war is on. The next version may expand to include more countries in a 3-way format - could happen if the attendance keeps trending upward.

Prof