Davis Cup 2018 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Florian Buechting
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Davis Cup 2018 - India

Post by Florian Buechting »

VReddy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:34 am Serbia has visa-free policy for Indian Citizens. Shall be there (incase I don't get kicked out of my workplace/Switzerland ofcourse, touchwood) - hopefully you will be there too. If it happens, will only be the second time to meet fellow SI member after Sandeep.
I have to warn you. I am getting completely mad during a Davis Cup and occupy two seats, depending on the stadium :)

But it will be cool to cheer with you... Mission Impossible MMXVIII :)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ridiculously tough match. The only hope is if the top-3 or 4 Serbian players don't play. Clutching at straws here, with much dependent on Djoker staying away for a start.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Serbia currently has #s 13, 27, 68, 90, 95. At home, maybe. In Serbia that is very daunting.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Serbia has 5 top 100 singles players, plus Zimonjic for doubles. Their fans are supposedly one of the most boisterous Tennis fans in the world. We are still several months away, so we may have an outside chance if Yuki, RamK, and Saki keep improving and one of our doubles pairs evolve (hopefully Vishnu and Balaji).

- Varma
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

We can win the doubles match, if we plan properly, Zimonjic notwithstanding. THAT should be the first (and only) thing we should discuss.

The singles matches will go how it is going to go, and nothing much we can do on that. If Joker plays, we are dead meat. If not, it is not a given that they will win 3 out 4 on us. Take the doubles match, and hope for Yuki to upset at least their #2 (a decent chance is there for that). Then hope for one of two things to happen: (1) Everything clicks for RamK for one match like it clicked for Prajnesh the other day, or (2) one of their guys gets a stomach upset or cramps or a twisted ankle. If Joker doesn't play, I would say that we have a 20-25% chance for an upset, IF we take the doubles point. If we don't take the doubles point, we have a 1 percent chance to upset them, with or without Joker.

But actually, it all depends on who they have in the team. Serbia doesn't always have any of their best show up.
Florian Buechting

Hi everyone,
if I get this link correctly:

http://www.teniskisavez.com/vesti/dejvi ... -kraljevu/

Serbia has suggested the ITF (do they really have a right to decline?) in Kraljevo, some 200kms South of capital Belgrade... I would call it Serbian Nomansland... But I haven't checked anything about the city so far...

They want to play in a place called Ibar Sportscenter, seems to be indoor... Found this picture - but I would not fully say that this is the venue we finally in... Serbian language if far away from being my strength ;)

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Sports ... 20.6938909

Just reserved a hotel there... Felt like this might be sensible to do ;) Not too many options on booking.com - but the prices are very handy :)
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Thanks for digging this bit of info out, Florian. It doesn't look bad at all looking at the pictures. Perhaps it's well intentioned.. maybe they want the remote places to get a slice of action (revenue generated) from sports/tourism.
If it's going to be indoor courts, the gps co-ordinates of that indoor court do not matter, imo :-)
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Yes, thanks Florian. There is a slight chance I will get to see you as well if I figure out my work schedule for that week. There are no direct flights to that city from Chicago but I think there are buses/trains to commute from Belgrade.
Florian Buechting

Hi everyone,
first of all, it is confirmed by ITF now in a better-to-understand language:

https://www.daviscup.com/en/news/286241.aspx

I could not find out too much about the place, as Serbian is nowadays written in Russian letters, which is a bit complicated. The arena seems to be really cool, though, quite new, the website says "3000 to 6000" to its capacity. As bujilover said, there is a train station, likely bus connections... or you take a rental car, which seems to be quite cheap on the one hand, but the Serbian road conditions might be not that advantegous...

Adventure ;) At least a hotel night is roughly 50 USD in one of their four star accomodation and all the other costs there should be reasonable as well...

Need to sort out that with my boss this week ;)

Florian
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Indoor clay court ... Interesting.

So RamK and Prajnesh have made strong cases as the first choice for the singles with Sumit and Yuki.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Florian Buechting

Atithee wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 am
I could not find out too much about the place.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraljevo

http://www.kraljevo.org/Opstina-Kraljevo-Home__eng
Thanks for the links... English wikipedia is significantly more informative than the German version... I guess this will be great fun :)

By the way, the train line does not seem to connect (or not connect directly) with Belgrade... But busses are very frequent...
Florian Buechting

Just a short message: Kralj... whatever, here I come - just booked flights and hotel.

Will fly and drive in Wednesday evening and party home on Monday morning :) Hotel is called Crystal. There are two **** ones, both very reasonably priced, I just guessed random which one could become the tournament place ;) If not, no curry for me for breakfast ;)
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Haha. Crystal showed up on top on my search as well.
Florian Buechting

Tournament Hotel seems to be a place called "Hotel Turist", right in the city centre. At least, it is the only place which is sold out. Looks fancy, reviews are however worse than for some other places around. Looked at the menu prices in the restaurants... Will be a very nice trip :)