Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by Sin Hombre »

I hope this will mean the end of comments like how the AO playoff is such an easy opportunity and why player X or Y not traveling to China to play in it was so stupid (in future years).
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

Few years back Sania played the same the tournament, lost in the finals to Na li. By the time AO came Na Li was a direct entry, hence Sania made it in, made it to R3. Won Hyderabad open few weeks later.

How much of my memory is correct how much of it is my figment of imagination, i will let fellow members to decide. But this tournament is for our players to exploit.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

RunJee come home with no trophy! :p
Hopefully they can still sneak in by the twins getting direct entry. Might that still possible?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Omkara wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:29 pm Few years back Sania played the same the tournament, lost in the finals to Na li. By the time AO came Na Li was a direct entry, hence Sania made it in, made it to R3. Won Hyderabad open few weeks later.

How much of my memory is correct how much of it is my figment of imagination, i will let fellow members to decide. But this tournament is for our players to exploit.
That was Asian championships where the winner was given granted AO wild card. That was held in September. Now, all the tournaments for the year are over (except futures). So, no chance for Ratiwatana brothers to sneak in and Jeevan to get that wild card like Sania did.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The twins are ranked 92 and 101 in doubles, so very unlikely to get in without a wildcard. Only a lot of unexpected withdrawals and very few singles player entering the doubles draw might get them in. Chances seem slim though.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The women's results out there in the Asia-Pacific wildcard playoff were truly, incredibly, bizarre. Can anybody explain the results - check this out - https://www.tennis.com.au/wp-content/up ... -Final.pdf ... I have never seen anything like that.

How did a 16 year old girl ranked in the 700s (albeit 6th in the juniors, though without any great junior grand slams results) win this whole thing, which had 8 seeds ranked #122 to #279? And how did a wildcard player from Papua New Guinea (only the 2nd pro player ever from that country, it seems, though she is in the top 350) end up as runner-up??? ... How did Jing-Jing Lu lose 16 16 to that girl in the semi, in China? Huh? Nothing makes sense.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Line calling must have played a huge role. This tournament gets more farcical every year.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, truly bizarre. Mahak took a set off the winner here, Xinyu Wang at the US open juniors.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

jayakris wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 pm The women's results out there in the Asia-Pacific wildcard playoff were truly, incredibly, bizarre. Can anybody explain the results - check this out - https://www.tennis.com.au/wp-content/up ... -Final.pdf ... I have never seen anything like that.

How did a 16 year old girl ranked in the 700s (albeit 6th in the juniors, though without any great junior grand slams results) win this whole thing, which had 8 seeds ranked #122 to #279? And how did a wildcard player from Papua New Guinea (only the 2nd pro player ever from that country, it seems, though she is in the top 350) end up as runner-up??? ... How did Jing-Jing Lu lose 16 16 to that girl in the semi, in China? Huh? Nothing makes sense.
Abigail (the PNG player) was a star for Georgia State as I recall her reaching the NCAA semifinals once. On the other hand, most of these Chinese players build their ranking only based on the numerous home tournaments. So, I have no doubt about her performance.

The 16 yo. already has a MD win at the $100K CH level that too against a top-150 player. She is definitely the Mahak Jain of China ;). Would be interesting to see her first round match at the AO.

P.S. Talking about heights (some other thread?), Abigail is 5'6".
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

MD entry list stops at 100 with lots of PRs; I think Prajnesh is likely to miss out.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

DAMN!! Maybe it is like I thought. All the PR guys and other injured guys who thought they had no chance to make money, other than by showing up and shaming themselves on court, can now say they will play, till the Thursday of the qualies, when they will go there and say they have to withdraw... And they will get a cool $10K or something for just that. If that is the case, I cannot believe they have made such a stupid rule. But that's what I instantly thought when I saw the new rules.

I hope I am missing something, but if I am right, expect a qualies cut around 215 or 220 which may not even drop much... And then there will be some 10 LL spots by the time the qualies finish. Good for Yuki and RamK, I guess, and bad for Prajnesh. The horror is that even Sumit may miss the initial cut if things go that badly.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Last year too initial cut off for main draw was 99 and 6 players withdrew before qualifying draw for final cut off to end up at 105. We will have to see if there are that many withdrawals this time too.

But, if one goes by last year's trend the initial cut off for qualies may be somewhere between 225-230 and it may be touch and go for Prajnesh to make it in the final cut.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I am guessing sameer has been busy of late.

Initial qualifying EL is out and it is not terrible from an Indian perspective.

14 BHAMBRI, Yuki IND 116
35 RAMANATHAN, Ramkumar IND 142
103 NAGAL, Sumit IND 223
119 BRKIC, Tomislav BIH 240

ALTERNATES
1 DELLIEN, Hugo BOL 241
2 DANCEVIC, Frank CAN 241PR
3 GUNNESWARAN, Prajnesh IND 243

There are quite a few double booked players so I would guess that Prajnesh should make it in comfortably. Yuki will be seeded and Ram needs a few early MD withdrawals to get there.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Phew... It isn't as bad as I thought it could be!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Prajnesh should get in comfortably now. There are 9 players in the qualifying list here who are also in the Auckland and Sydeny ATP qualies of that week. If they qualify for main draw there, I think they will be taken out from here. But, if they lose in qualifying there, I think they can still play AO qualies. Also 1 of the players is in Canberra Challenger main draw. So, he would be taken out from 1 of the places for sure.

There are 3-4 main draw wild cards which are also still to be distributed.

Saketh with his PR of 267 is 23 out. But, hard to see the cut dropping so much. It may eventually end up at around 255, I think.