Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by VReddy »

jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm
S_K_S wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm
rajitghosh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 pm Then Yuki should apply to Jet Airways or Air India for free travel. Both these airlines, if we count their partner airlines have good network outside India. It would save him a lot of money.
If only it was so easy. I think it's all about who you know and having the right connections.
And unfortunately, in India, only AFTER an athlete has achieved some success politicians fall all over themselves to be associated with them and they dole out all kinds of benefits like cash awards and free land - all public assets, of course. Sania Mirza got a ton from the Andhra Pradesh government after she won Grand Slam titles, when she didn't need it any more. But no one wants to support developing youngsters because they think it might be a wasted investment. People want to invest in blue chips instead of promising startups.
I disagree. We had the same discussion in the Olympics thread couple of years back. Sindhu / Saina had received funding much before they had become famous. The TOPS scheme has been funding Yuki and others in its own bit too. CB Naidu supported Sania even before she won the WTA HYD open.

There have been similar stories in the Tamil Nadu region too. Even Vishnu was well supported by the Telangana govt last year which enabled his travel. Even Ankita Raina owes her current exploits to the Gujarat Govt. Overall the Govt support has been tremendous for the sport. Now as you said, most of this support comes from regional government sports ministry.

Has Yuki's team event tried to contact the AAP folks, does anybody even know?

Overall, as an outsider, it appears to me that most people in Indian Tennis scene are too self-centered and expects the other person to do the work in Indian Tennis unless it benefits them. An year back, I would always think negative of AITA but there is a reason why AITA exists like that.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

sameerph wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am
Apart from AITA, I would partly blame him and his team too for perhaps not showing enough drive to try to attract sponsors at that stage. I am not sure if they had any clear plan like done by say Vishnu-Bala recently.
Frankly, in my opinion, either one believes in the talent or doesn't. If somebody is serious and knows someone needs help, they would be proactive to approach the player and see how they can help / iron out the details themselves. For all the detailed plan from Vishnu / Bala and inspite of Sania / Mahesh and others publicizing it, it was a waste of time. Infact I wonder, if Vishnu / Bala ended up reading the Ankita Raina sponsorship discussion given the way how the campaign was setup and seeing how many of the core forum members are in his friends list.

I am sure Yuki's family did everythig and even Yuki's public outreach fetched only 2-3 lakh rupees. I remember reading multiple times that Ankita / Indu ji had reached out to multiple corporates, nothing worked. I think it is as mentioned by SKS, they don't have the right connections who can make the strings pull + deciding to remain in Delhi instead of moving Yuki under Mahesh's wings + general case of lack of empathy in Indian Tennis system of helping out each other.

In my limited time of volunteering / working with Schweizer Sporthilfe, the contrast is so glaring that it is just mind-blowing.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

cricketics wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:16 am Guys, a lot being written about Sandgreen and Isner.

I am not sure about Sandgreen but I can ensure you Isner is totally opposite of what is being explained above. I work at private aviation and meet him all the time and know him wel. The guy is nicest dude you will meet, not as friendly to all like his friend Sam Querrey but still pretty damn good person.

Also on that note, not all southern people are racist guys. Not everyone from Tennesee is like that either since I have spent time ther eand I can tell you many people are just absolutely fantastic and open, especially towards Indians. I have to mention this since there is this souther family who ensured they always make veggie burgers for me when I visit to meet their son knowing I am vegetarian. Southerners from the past might be racist just like some of us Indians are too back home with our class system, but not all are the same.

Also Isner talking about the crowd not supporting him but Monfils is his frustration for not being able to win the home crowd. That doesn’t mean he is being racist or whatever one meant above.

Sorry, I had to log in and post since I have known Isner since his college days when he used to come visit to play in Leg Mason/Citi and the guy has been very friendly.

Bingo :notworthy: . For all the racism that we see in India, I feel one should give these chaps a bit of breathing room for the occasional outburst. Atleast coming from India and from the class / caste / all kinds of differentiation that I / the society have come from & meted out on fellow indians, I feel very awkward to criticize others.

I hardly know anything about this Sandgreen guy but I did read that he has been sort of active in the fund-raisers for Rajeev Ram - he has my respect already inspite of some short-comings.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

VReddy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 pm
jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm
S_K_S wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm

If only it was so easy. I think it's all about who you know and having the right connections.
And unfortunately, in India, only AFTER an athlete has achieved some success politicians fall all over themselves to be associated with them and they dole out all kinds of benefits like cash awards and free land - all public assets, of course. Sania Mirza got a ton from the Andhra Pradesh government after she won Grand Slam titles, when she didn't need it any more. But no one wants to support developing youngsters because they think it might be a wasted investment. People want to invest in blue chips instead of promising startups.
I disagree. We had the same discussion in the Olympics thread couple of years back. Sindhu / Saina had received funding much before they had become famous. The TOPS scheme has been funding Yuki and others in its own bit too. CB Naidu supported Sania even before she won the WTA HYD open.

There have been similar stories in the Tamil Nadu region too. Even Vishnu was well supported by the Telangana govt last year which enabled his travel. Even Ankita Raina owes her current exploits to the Gujarat Govt. Overall the Govt support has been tremendous for the sport. Now as you said, most of this support comes from regional government sports ministry.

Has Yuki's team event tried to contact the AAP folks, does anybody even know?

Overall, as an outsider, it appears to me that most people in Indian Tennis scene are too self-centered and expects the other person to do the work in Indian Tennis unless it benefits them. An year back, I would always think negative of AITA but there is a reason why AITA exists like that.

Yuki can talk to the Tatas. They have sponsored innumerable sportsmen and women in the past, set up world class academies (TFA, TAA, Prakash's academy) and still sponsors the ATP event. Their partnership with Singapore Airlines will help Yuki. In fact, ACC when it sponsored Naresh Kumar and Premjit Lall was a Tata company. He might get a breakthrough.
Somdev comparing himself with Gopi is a sham. Gopi gave 200% dedication to his academy. He even mortgaged his own house for that. Only when he was still not able to build it did Chamundeshwarnath of Hyderabad Cricket Association step in and give him a grant that resulted in India's best ever sports academy in any sport. Moreover, in badminton circles while the odd rivalry and jealousy may exist, in general, the relations between people who matter i.e. BAI officials, Gopi, Prakash, Sindhu, Saina etc. is quite cordial. So the atmosphere is conducive for success. In tennis, that atmosphere doesn't exist. Forget state associations, even clubs in Calcutta and Chennai that have produced so many good tennis players are at war with each other.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

VReddy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 am he has my respect already inspite of some short-comings.
You need to read what he has written and liked.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

R Bopanna-T Babos have won the first set 6-4 in the Mixed Doubles QF match against J Cabal-A Spears
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

S_K_S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 am
VReddy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:00 am he has my respect already inspite of some short-comings.
You need to read what he has written and liked.

He is a young 26-yr old chap who is in a maturing phase, acknowledges his past, might still hold those beliefs but wants to start a new phase where he expresses his beliefs in a more mature way. I have seen the 3 reports below now thanks to your comments and I still feel the same.

Nobody is perfect in this world. For every mistake that we point at others, we would have tons of similar issues in our own sphere - I get into this debate a lot with Trump haters who turn out to be Modi followers (and I also voted for BJP btw) which I find ironic leaving aside Trump's trash-talk. This is a huge topic but more relevant for an off-topic thread :)

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2018/01/ ... pen/71592/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/t ... 053072001/
http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/ten ... 68cae2f9d5
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Bopanna wins and onto the Semis :D :bounce:
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Mixed Doubles Quarterfinals

T.Babos(HUN)/R.Bopanna(IND)[5] def A.Spears(USA)/J Cabal(Col) 6-4, 7-6(5)

Will play either
S.Sanders(AUS)/M.Polmans(AUS) or M.Martínez Sánchez(ESP)/M.Demoliner(BRA)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Cabal/Farah and Marach/Pavic, the two pairs that defeated the all-Indian pairs, will be playing each other in the men's doubles final. So our pairs lost to the hottest pairs in the tournament.
Varma

Post by Varma »

It has become a norm of sorts for guys who beat Indians to become hot :D

- Varma
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, we are good heaters who rarely get hot....
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Come on, Leander's been hot many times.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Chung era ended as expected. Left the stage to avoid further humiliation. Very short era indeed.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

R Bopanna-T Babos have won the first set 7-5 in the Mixed Doubles SF match against M Martinez Sanchez- M Demoliner