Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by prasen9 »

I wish more of our players who are journeymen would do something like this.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Yes, but they have to be really good at doubles too. Unfortunately, we did not have those level of doubles player too since Rohan ( top 10 level). Divij reached a career high of 36 but I think with his weak serve he has hit his ceiling. Jeevan hit a career high of 64 but has now come down to 151. Balaji and Vishnu went upto top 100 briefly but have since gone down. So, our doubles prowess which started with LP/MB and then RB seems to be ending now.

Perhaps ones who I think may have top 10 doubles potential if they take it seriously are Ramkumar and Yuki.

P.S : Just thought to take Prasen's thread forward and discuss something other than Corona. :D
Varma

Post by Varma »

It's about time Saki took a call on his career. I remember him mentioning in one of the interviews not too long ago that his interest in doubles is only secondary. Given his long history of injuries, he is better off focusing on doubles. If he does that, I am pretty sure he can easily be top-50 or better.

- Varma
suresh

Post by suresh »

I agree with Varma. Saki has been slow to come back and he appears to be nowhere close to the levels that he was playing at before his injury. He can be a very good doubles player.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

First, thanks to all of you who took my bid for attention to respond. Sports India has been a source of pleasure in my life especially in the last decade when my personal life has been ... let's say rocky. The news all around is depressing. So, as you have realized, I am fishing deep to find topics and chit chat.

Thanks Sameer. Yes, I think Saketh, Yuki, and Ramkumar should try to play doubles at the top level and play qualifying singles if necessary and if they get the chance. Maybe ATP should try to water the doubles game. For example, if the SE slots are not taken, then they will be given to the top-ranked doubles player will be given the SE if he is within 100/200 (or 25% lower) than the rank of the last accepted player in the draw (including qualifying players). The last factor is to make sure that totally useless players are not included in a tournament to make a farce of a game.