Australian Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

knarayen

Re: Australian Open 2018

Post by knarayen »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm All the breaks in the first set were because of shambolic handling of the return of serve (i.e., the third shot in his service points). The returns from Marcos were nothing great, but were landing deep in his court -- and Yuki would shank the return instead of bending low and getting them over the net. That stood out for me as a glaring weakness that can be easily fixed; he was either not concentrating, or simply isn't used to an opponent returning his serve decently. At the ATP level, he needs to be better-prepared to handle this.
Surprised by his lack of preparation - it is as much mental as it is physical. This is a very common amateur error - apparently it afflicts professionals too!!

Not being prepared for a good deep return is not a good excuse - and PKB good of you to catch that - and complaining about the wind is not great to hear either - the wind affects the other guy too and he seemed to have managed ok with it.

Prof
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

I stayed up until 4 AM watching the whole match... If you discount the fact that I must have been half asleep by the end of the match, I felt that this was a match Yuki lost rather than Baghdatis winning it...

I didn't see a plan other than coming into the match swinging heavily, which worked fine until 2-0 in the first set....
It must also be pointed out that Yuki & team had less than 24 hours to prepare for his R1 opponent. The rained out qualifying days and the fact that Yuki was playing his R1 match on Day 1 seemed have added negatively to the result....
Another day of planning and rest would have definitely helped....

In my opinion, his inability to finish points when on top was what affected the result more than his weak first serve...
Not able to finish that point at 3-1 in the first set tie-break was what turned the match around...

But it is what it is... he has to move on, not give excuses, and build the year gradually.... :goodluck:
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Thanks Prashantm - this throws more light into what happened.
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

prashanthm wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:50 pm ...I felt that this was a match Yuki lost rather than Baghdatis winning it...
That's exactly what I felt. All Baghdatis had to do was keep going. Yuki was either missing the chances he was being dished out, or give the advantage back whenever he cashed out a break-point. He pretty much looked like going through motions. I do not give too much importance to not having enough crowd support as the cause for losing the match. He was moving freely, got one of the easier possible opponents for a qualifier, which in itself should be motivating enough to get a main draw win in a grand slam. I was very upset that he didn't grab such an opportunity with both hands.

Anyway, time to move on and look forward to the upcoming tournaments.

- Varma
meyyis

Post by meyyis »

GIRLS - SINGLES: Australian Open (Australia) - Qualification, hard

[R1] (10) Akanksha A BHAN (IND) d. Lisa MAYS (AUS) : 6-3, 3-6, 6-1

In the Final qualifying round, she faces the eight seed Rina Saigo of Japan.

[FQR] (10) Akanksha A BHAN (IND) vs (8) Rina SAIGO (JPN)

The Australian Open website doesn't carry the Juniors Singles Qualification draw or scores. :-( There is no sign of Mahak Jain in the qualifiers. :-(
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

You can get the qualifying scores here -

AO juniors qualifying live scores

Also the qualifying draw-

AO juniors girls qualifying

Mahak Jain need not have played qualifiers. She would have made it to the main draw had she gone there. But as we discussed on other threads, for some strange reason she has decided to skip this.
Prem

Post by Prem »

And Marcos Baghdatis loses the next match against Rublev in 4 sets. Waiting for the doubles matches to start.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Only Rohan is playing in the MXD ... He is partnering Hungarian Timea Babos and they r facing Australian wild-card pair in the first round.

Mixed Doubles
[R1] (5) Timea Babos (HUN)/ Rohan Bopanna (IND) vs (WC) Ellen Perez (AUS)/ Andrew Whittington (AUS)

Tomorrow, our all three doubles pairs having their matches.

[R1] Leander Paes (IND)/ Purav Raja (IND) vs Nikoloz Basilashvili (GEO)/ Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT) - 2nd match on Court 19
[R1] (16) Rajeev Ram (USA)/ Divij Sharan (IND) vs Marius Copil (ROU)/ Viktor Troicki (SRB) - 3rd match on Court 19
[R1] (10) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) vs Ryan Harrison (USA)/ Vasek Pospisil (CAN) - 2nd match on Court 22
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Pretty tough R1 matches for Bopanna and Rajeev/Divij. Rohan/Roger-Vasselin play the 2014 WImbledon champion (Pospisil), albeit with a different partner (Sock then, Ryan Harrison now -- himself the French Open doubles champion last year with Michael Venus).
Troicki/Copil will be a tough first opponent for Divij/Rajeev, especially since the latter will be playing their first match together. (The good news is that Divij has shown excellent adaptability to new partners).
Last edited by PKBasu on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Wouldn't surprise me if only Ram/Sharan get through. Fingers crossed I am wrong.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

In the game of musical chairs that is men's doubles today, Michael Venus (who won the FO title last year with Ryan Harrison) is playing with Raven Klaasen here (they are seeded 8th), which is what has created the possibility of a Rajeev/Divij partnership (as Rajeev was jilted by Klaasen, while Venus jilted Harrison), and the potentially potent Pospisil/Harrison pairing (unseeded but dangerous floaters).
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Fascinating game of musical chairs...some things never change in tennis. This was the case even 20 years ago. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Rohan and Christopher win the first set 6-2.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Bopanna/Roger-Vesselin beat Harrison/Pospisil 62 76(5)

Reigning FO champion and his former Wimbledon champ partner are knocked out. Klaasen/Venus also lost!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Paes/Raja lead Basilashvili/Haider-Maurer 5-2 in the first set.
And they break again to take the first set 6-2.