US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

Post by PKBasu »

This is the first time Purav has won a match at the US Open.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Nitin lost in straights, 4 & 3 :damn: :damn: :damn:

- Varma
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

MD R2 - Simone Bolelli (ITA)/Fabio Fognini (ITA) def. Rohan Bopanna (IND)/[10]Pablo Cuevas (URU) [10]5-7 | 6-4 | 6-4

MD R1 - Feliciano Lopez (ESP) [11]/Marc Lopez (ESP) [11] def. Andre Begemann (GER)/Divij Sharan (IND) 6-4 | 6-4

MxD R1 - Jelena Ostapenko (LAT)/Fabrice Martin (FRA) def. Sania Mirza (IND) [2]/Ivan Dodig (CRO) [2] 5-7 | 6-3 | [10-6]

BQ R1 - Nick Hardt (DOM) def. Nitin Kumar Sinha (IND) [14] 6-4 | 6-3
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Ostapenko blew Sania out of the mixed doubles. We have heard that her forehand is more powerful than Andy Murray. Sania felt it today. What a player!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Saniapower wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 pm We have heard that her forehand is more powerful than Andy Murray.
Our resident expert Sin Hombre said that that is because women use lighter balls than men. I think that is true in some tournaments and not in others. I do not know where the measurements were taken that resulted in this folk knowledge.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Divij-Begemann lost 46 46 to Feliciano and Marc Lopez (last year's French Open champions).
(Sorry, I didn't see Samarth's post earlier: pretty awful day for us at the US Open, with the exception of Leander-Purav).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 pm MD R2 - Simone Bolelli (ITA)/Fabio Fognini (ITA) def. Rohan Bopanna (IND)/[10]Pablo Cuevas (URU) [10]5-7 | 6-4 | 6-4

MD R1 - Feliciano Lopez (ESP) [11]/Marc Lopez (ESP) [11] def. Andre Begemann (GER)/Divij Sharan (IND) 6-4 | 6-4

MxD R1 - Jelena Ostapenko (LAT)/Fabrice Martin (FRA) def. Sania Mirza (IND) [2]/Ivan Dodig (CRO) [2] 5-7 | 6-3 | [10-6]

Friends many may not like my comment but Rohan is India's most over hyped tennis player ever. The only thing he has is a big mouth and smart talk. While it is good to see Leander win it is time he retires gracefully. He has been the perennial over achiever but I think time has come. For Sania, I am not sure breaking up with Hingis was the right choice and I think over the next year or so she would have to wind down her career.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, turned to be a terrible day for Indians ... The only new pairing of Lee-Purav scored an impressive win ... Next, they r facing exciting #NextGen Russian players, Karen Khachanov and Andrey Rublev.

[R2] Leander Paes (IND)/ Purav Raja (IND) vs Karen Khachanov (RUS)/ Andrey Rublev (RUS)
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

Varma wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 pm Nitin lost in straights, 4 & 3 :damn: :damn: :damn:

- Varma
I was there right from the start. He did well and should have won the first set, and he even told me that right after the game that he made a mistake in set 1 and that he should have clearly won.

Regarding 2nd set, his opponent was brilliant and I thought he just out played Nitin there. Nitin still has a long way to go and needs to learn the art of slowing down the pace of the ball as a lot of balls were flying out of Nitin's racket. But nevertheless, I do see promise in him and feel I will see him in ATP circuit one day. This guy needs to be backed and given proper support by someone in India. He needs a coach first up as he has promise.
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:44 am
S_K_S wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 pm MD R2 - Simone Bolelli (ITA)/Fabio Fognini (ITA) def. Rohan Bopanna (IND)/[10]Pablo Cuevas (URU) [10]5-7 | 6-4 | 6-4

Friends many may not like my comment but Rohan is India's most over hyped tennis player ever. The only thing he has is a big mouth and smart talk. While it is good to see Leander win it is time he retires gracefully. He has been the perennial over achiever but I think time has come. For Sania, I am not sure breaking up with Hingis was the right choice and I think over the next year or so she would have to wind down her career.

Why you want him to retire? Is he blocking someone's way? He is bringing so many Indian fans to the grandslams and other sporting events, you should just see. He is still bringing little smile on otherwise sad day at the US Open where most Indians lost, then why you want him to retire? This is not cricket team where he is blocking someone.

Yes, I do not want him in Davis cup and rather have Purav and Divij play there but in grandslams and other events, what is wrong in having Leander in the draw. Thats his living also.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't want LP to retire. I don't want RB to retire. And, I am not going to retire either despite my age. Tough luck, Mr. Ghosh.
Varma

Post by Varma »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:44 am...While it is good to see Leander win it is time he retires gracefully.
A player's wins and resulting ranking will retire him/her automatically. Thankfully there is no Ravi Shastri to decide who plays in a Grandslam (or any tournament) and who doesn't. It is obvious that Lee still has fire in his belly. He expects more from him than anyone else. Unlike most who just fade away, he didn't shy away from going back to playing challengers. That shows how committed he is to the sport! As long as he has that drive, more power to him. Who are we to ask him to retire?

Just to give you benefit of doubt, I suppose it was painful for you, an ardent fan, to watch him past his prime?

- Varma
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Please, let's not turn this thread into whether Leander should retire or not.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Sat 2/9 at the US Open

Court 7 4th match - Approx 4pm Local time
WOMEN'S DOUBLES - R2 - Jana Cepelova (SVK)/Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK) vs. Sania Mirza (IND) [4]/Shuai Peng (CHN) [4]

Court 11 2nd match - Approx 1pm local time
MIXED DOUBLES - R1 - Gabriela Dabrowski (CAN) [7]/Rohan Bopanna (IND) [7] vs.Heather Watson (GBR)/Henri Kontinen (FIN)

Nice write up by the tournament - http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articl ... tml?chip=3
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

Fabio Fognini suspended from any participation in US Open.

Does that mean his opponent get bye in 3rd round in mens doubles or can Bopanna/Cueves go to the third round as lucky losers?