US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

Post by sameerph »

US open qualifying draws came out and 3 of our players - Ramkumar Ramanathan, Yuki Bhambri and Prajnesh Gunneswaran have all comfortably made the qualies draw cut. So, there will be no heartbreaks this time like Wimbledon. The initial cut off is lower than expected at 238. Much lower than Wimbledon where Yuki could not make it even in final list with a ranking of 240+.

Junior entry lists are also out and Siddhanth Banthia among boys and Zeel Desai, Mahak Jain and Mihika Yadav among girls have made the main draw cut. Some of the other juniors may also play qualies.

With our usual doubles strength, we will have a good contingent present in the last grand slam of the year.
cricketics

Re: US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

Post by cricketics »

Any chance if Yuki goes deep in this citi open then they might give him direct wild card to the first round? Or is it too late for all that?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

No. Not too late for WC. But, I doubt if they will give it to an Indian. Also, Yuki is not a 18-19 year old who are more likely to get wild cards (unless you are an American). Yuki will have to win the whole thing at Washington to make a case for himself.
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

Copy that, thanks for the info.
Omkara
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Omkara »

sameerph wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm No. Not too late for WC. But, I doubt if they will give it to an Indian. Also, Yuki is not a 18-19 year old who are more likely to get wild cards (unless you are an American). Yuki will have to win the whole thing at Washington to make a case for himself.
They didn't give Som WC who won 2 NCAA titles, why the heck will they give it to yuki?
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Hello everyone on the forum.

Nitin Kumar Sinha(Current Asian Junior Champion, ITF Junior Rank 98) is in the qualifying draw of the US Open. AITA, as we would expect, has shown very limited support. After rounds of requests from Nitin, they have agreed to cover just the flight costs for Nitin, and it is upon him to manage his accommodation, food and other expenses. Nitin comes from a not-so-good background and is looking for financial help to play in the US Open. Staying in New York can be expensive, and the tournament provides hospitality only once Main Draw starts. He's looking to get there 3-4 days before the tournament starts. So it would be great if people here in the forum could contribute and Nitin's dream of playing in the US Open is not interrupted due to lack of money. Another way we could help is if someone is staying in New York, if they could let Nitin stay for 4-5 days, it would be great. Looking for a reply at the earliest!

Edit - He updated saying that he's looking for a financial help of around 400-500$.

Edit - He also told me that he'll have to withdraw from the Grade 1's right before the US Open because of lack of funds. It's just extremely sad, as he is not as fortunate as a Siddhant Banthia or an Adil Kalyanpur, but he's much more talented than them as he has a positive Head To Head against both of them. It will be a shame if he missed the US Open, so please come forward and help guys! :)
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

I am doing an airbnb to New York during US Open, which does not allow another person as it is someone's peoperty. I wish he could stay with me if i was doing a hotel. But he should start a gofundme page and share and we can do donations and share that page.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Vatsal/Nitin,

I am pleased to know that Nitin is planning to play at the US Open. I'll contribute to his goal but I'm not sure $400-$500 will go very far in NYC area for 3-4 days. Perhaps he has other funds to cover some part of his expenses. Let me know how to contribute. Best wishes to him.

P.S. I'd recommend not to compare his cause to others' resources. It's not necessary.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Atithee wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:57 am Vatsal/Nitin,

I am pleased to know that Nitin is planning to play at the US Open. I'll contribute to his goal but I'm not sure $400-$500 will go very far in NYC area for 3-4 days. Perhaps he has other funds to cover some part of his expenses. Let me know how to contribute. Best wishes to him.

P.S. I'd recommend not to compare his cause to others' resources. It's not necessary.
I can chip in another $500.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sorry, I saw this a bit late. I will support with a $200. If more needs to be raised, I am sure we can find sponsors. vatsal, could you ask him to just decide to come? No, we will not let him go starving in NY.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. Vishnu(VReddy) has come forward to help in a big way, as he found Nitin a place to stay and contributed 800 Swiss Francs. Varma Sir helped too. Cricketics offered to help too.

On a side note : I had a chat with Nitin. While the existing contributions should be enough to facilitate Nitin's visit to NY, he asked if it would be possible for us to help in him in anyway so that he gets to train and play tournaments in Europe. I know it's a long shot, but can we find a way? He's kind of stuck at the same level now, and needs a change if he is to make it big on Tour. And he has the potential, for sure! Thanks guys. Would be looking for responses!
Rahb

Post by Rahb »

vatsal323 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:35 am Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. Vishnu(VReddy) has come forward to help in a big way, as he found Nitin a place to stay and contributed 800 Swiss Francs. Varma Sir helped too. Cricketics offered to help too.

I want to help as well Vatsal if it is not too late. Let me know please
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

I have found a video of nitin in youtube in search of playing college tennis in US has he got an opportunity in any college vatsal. I mean that's not bad either since he is struggling financially :cry:
suresh

Post by suresh »

Lots of generous souls here. Best of luck to Nitin.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Sorry, Vatsal. So sorry, I didn't see this message until today. I am willing to help as well. He is more than welcome to stay with me in NJ. It's a bit far from NY and I may not be able to drive him to the site every day but I can pay for Uber both ways etc.

Vishnu is the most generous soul that I've met so far (albeit virtually). I am hoping to meet him someday in person. Good luck to NItin.