US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

Post by S_K_S »

JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES - R1 - Sofia Munera Sanchez (COL)/Sada Nahimana (BDI) def Mahak Jain (IND)/Mihika Yadav (IND) 6-3 | 6-2
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Our junior challenge got over after loss of Siddhant in the doubles ... Siddhant-Shinji lost very close match against Dutch kids in the second round.

Junior
[R2] Siddhant Banthia (IND)/ Shinji Hazawa (JPN) l Jesper De Jong (NED)/ Ryan Nijboer (NED) 67(2) 62 10-12
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Del Potro is not stopping Federer.
Sania/Peng looks to be strong team siince the Doklam crisis is over now.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sania's QF is suspended at 2-2 in the first set.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Bopanna/Dabrowski lost to Venus/Chan 64 36 8-10.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Brilliant play from Del Potro to end Federer's campaign at the US Open.
Del Potro all the way to the title now :goodluck:
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:34 am Sania's QF is suspended at 2-2 in the first set.
Sania and Peng win the first set 76(5).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sania-Shuai completed the win in straight sets against Babos and Hlavackova ... After winning the first set in the tie-break they were cruising and serving for the match at 5-2 ... But they failed to hold in the 8th game and missed six match points on opponent's serve in almost 15 mins long 9th game ... Sania-Shuai kept their composure and completed victory after converting 7th match point but before that, they needed to save a break point ... Next, they r facing 2nd seed Hingis and Chan.

[QF] (4) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Shuai Peng (CHN) bt (5) Timea Babos (HUN)/ Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) 76(5) 64
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Tough, tough semi (not that there is ever an easy one)

[SF] S. Mirza (IND) [4]/S. Peng (CHN) [4] vs Y. Chan (TPE) [2]/M. Hingis (SUI) [2]
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I am was watching Sania's match in Grandstand. Peng was the weakest link. I don't usually say this but she was awful. Missed so many easy volleys and putaways. Sania still got a few years left. She's slowed down since I saw her a few years ago. Not a huge liability in doubles but would definitely be a better player if she worked hard on her fitness. Also made many tactical errors. They kept going to Hingis and she kept killing them. they had many opportunities to go down the line on Hingis backhand but they kept going to her forehand.

Hingis was amazing at the net but has no ground game. Chan was not great shakes, just steady. I think she got into Sania's head quite a bit. Kept smiling every time she won a point against Sania. All is not well between them (needless to say :)).

Also watched Strykova and Safarova. I wish Sania had someone like Safarova as her partner. Great at the net and also from the baseline. Strykova has a great serve but appears very temperamental.

Rohan's coin toss was awesome! It was live on ESPN3 and the ESPN app. Will post some pics later!
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

WOMEN'S DOUBLES - SF
(4) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Shuai Peng (CHN) l (2) Martina Hingis (SUI)/ Yung-Jan Chan (TPE) 46 46
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Thanks Gautam for your insight view about the matches and share Rohan's coin toss ... :)
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

gbelday wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm I am was watching Sania's match in Grandstand. Peng was the weakest link. I don't usually say this but she was awful. Missed so many easy volleys and putaways. Sania still got a few years left. She's slowed down since I saw her a few years ago. Not a huge liability in doubles but would definitely be a better player if she worked hard on her fitness. Also made many tactical errors. They kept going to Hingis and she kept killing them. they had many opportunities to go down the line on Hingis backhand but they kept going to her forehand.

Hingis was amazing at the net but has no ground game. Chan was not great shakes, just steady. I think she got into Sania's head quite a bit. Kept smiling every time she won a point against Sania. All is not well between them (needless to say :)).

Also watched Strykova and Safarova. I wish Sania had someone like Safarova as her partner. Great at the net and also from the baseline. Strykova has a great serve but appears very temperamental.

Rohan's coin toss was awesome! It was live on ESPN3 and the ESPN app. Will post some pics later!
I watched a part of the match. Sania was committing a lot of unforced errors on her forehand side that is supposed to be her strength. The commentators kept on pointing out some technical deficiencies that appear to have come into her forehand. Looks like she needs to go back to the drawing board. Agree on her speed also. Hingis was simply brilliant in the match. She was practically controlling the game. I still don't understand why Sania split with her.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:38 am I still don't understand why Sania split with her.
We are somewhat ego-centric here. And, I am guilty of that too often. But, the framing of the sentence is that Sania did it. From their press releases, it seemed to be a joint decision. But, if it was not, we don't know if Sania dumped Hingis or Hingis did. If Hingis did, then there is nothing to discuss. If Sania did, we can ask questions of Sania.

Sometimes partnerships become stale. After their spectacular success Santina had a somewhat off year by their previous standards. So, they decided to split.

At least that is the official version.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

gbelday wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm Chan was not great shakes, just steady. I think she got into Sania's head quite a bit. Kept smiling every time she won a point against Sania. All is not well between them (needless to say :)).
There is something between Sania and Chan? Was there any previous incident?