US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: US Open Tennis 2017, Aug 21-Sept. 10

Post by sameerph »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:38 am
I watched a part of the match. Sania was committing a lot of unforced errors on her forehand side that is supposed to be her strength. The commentators kept on pointing out some technical deficiencies that appear to have come into her forehand. Looks like she needs to go back to the drawing board. Agree on her speed also. Hingis was simply brilliant in the match. She was practically controlling the game. I still don't understand why Sania split with her.

I watched the whole match on TV. Sania was over hitting a lot of her forehands and gave away a lot of free points to their opponents. Similarly Peng was making a lot of errors. All in all it was a poor match played by both of them.

I thought ( and Hingis said so in the post match interview) it was Chan who was the best player on the court yesterday and really pulled their team thru yesterday. Hingis was very good at times but her serve was weak and was under pressure all the time in the match unlike Chan.

Still the best grand slam performance of the year for Sania and I hope she gets a good partner and she goes back to top 3 or at least top 5 ranking in womens doubles.
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

prasen9 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:13 am
gbelday wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm Chan was not great shakes, just steady. I think she got into Sania's head quite a bit. Kept smiling every time she won a point against Sania. All is not well between them (needless to say :)).
There is something between Sania and Chan? Was there any previous incident?
Sorry, I mixed up sentences there. I did mean to say Chan was steady but it was Hingis who was trying to get into Sania's head.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

rajitghosh wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:38 am
I watched a part of the match. Sania was committing a lot of unforced errors on her forehand side that is supposed to be her strength. The commentators kept on pointing out some technical deficiencies that appear to have come into her forehand. Looks like she needs to go back to the drawing board. Agree on her speed also. Hingis was simply brilliant in the match. She was practically controlling the game. I still don't understand why Sania split with her.
She doesn't go going low or use much of her legs when hitting her forehand. I suspect it has to do with her fitness. Also it's very flattish (always been). It's tough to control shots when you don't put much stop spin. I personally didn't think her game deteriorated that much. Peng was the weak link as I saw it. To be fair, Peng was playing with a heavily strapped right thigh.

Hingis was also doing some subtle things to put pressure on Sania and Peng (like moving slightly at the net just after the serve). She also communicated and switched quite well with Chan. Chan of course didn't commit any errors and was very steady but maybe that is enough for doubles when you have someone like Martina at the net.

Sameer, all four were serving poorly. Hingis was never known to have a good serve anyway. Her motion is a bit awkward..
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sania really does need to find a steady partner. This year has been extremely unstable, and I don't think she will make it to the WTA finals this year, since no partnership has lasted long enough to garner enough points for the year-end championship. A real pity!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

I know it is somehow controversial in here but Sania needs to find a better player as a partner again. She never does well as the "senior" partner in the pairing.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

gbelday wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm
She doesn't go going low or use much of her legs when hitting her forehand. I suspect it has to do with her fitness. Also it's very flattish (always been). It's tough to control shots when you don't put much stop spin.
I suspect it's the movement and footwork around the shot that she needs to clean up not the swing... she is where she is because of THAT forehand and her aggressive style of play. the way she hits it.. there isn't much safety margin, it's a high risk shot but so are the rewards. I don't think that's going to change at this stage of her career OR importantly she won't be willing to change her signature shot and style.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm I know it is somehow controversial in here but Sania needs to find a better player as a partner again. She never does well as the "senior" partner in the pairing.
I don't think that is controversial here. She needs to find a very good partner again. Period. Preferably one with whom she can have some chemistry.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

There aren't too many better doubles players than Sania, so it will be difficult to find a partner that meets that description. Strycova she's tried (and didn't enjoy because the partner had singles obligations too), Safarova is waiting to reunite with Mattek-Sands. Hingis would have been the best partner, but I think their relationship is ruined (especially with Hingis doing better in both women's and mixed doubles).
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Great win for Hingis and Murray. Turned out to be a tough match with an exciting STB.

Doesn't make sense why the final has to have deciding point and a STB. The singles final is well over 2 hours away from when the STB finished.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

12th seeded Rojer/Tecau won the men's doubles title, defeating Lopez/Lopez (the conquerors of Sharan/Begemann in R1) in the final. The latter had lost no sets until their SF, where they dropped a set but beat the Bryans.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Stephens will be the favorite in the women's singles final