Asian Challengers July-October 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Asian Challengers July-October 2017

Post by VReddy »

At $75K Shenzhen 2 Challenger 2017, China

[SF] Vishnu Vardhan (IND)/ N. Sriram Balaji (IND) d (3) James Cerretani (USA)/ Toshihide Matsui (JPN) 7-6 (5) 7-6 (4)
[F] Vishnu Vardhan (IND)/ N. Sriram Balaji (IND) Vs Austin Krajicek (USA) / Jackson Withrow (USA)

Vishnu and Sriram appear to be back at their best again. Now that they are focusing likely full-time on doubles (and singles if they make the cut), looks like they should make the cut into the top-100 by early next year (?). Hopefully we can see them transition to ATP 250 / GrandSlams over the next 6 months.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Wow, bold prediction Vishnu ... :)
But will really love to see that happen with these two humble personalities.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Vishnu is ranked 134 and Balaji is 147 in doubles at the moment. They are currently 127 and 144 in the live rankings, and will rise to 118 and 139 respectively if they win the title this week. Vishnu has a reasonable chance of making it to top-100 by the end of this month (i.e., by winning both the Challenger titles in India), but Balaji probably cannot do it. Vishnu will need another 200 points (I think he could earn about 220 points or a bit more by winning both the India Challenger doubles titles, although that could be a bit tough if Yuki plays doubles in those Challengers with Divij, for instance).
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

At $75K Shenzhen 2 Challenger 2017, China

[F] Vishnu Vardhan (IND, 134)/ Sriram Balaji(IND, 147) d Austin Krajicek (USA, 126) / Jackson Withrow (USA, 114) 7-6 (3) 7-6 (3)

Well I didn't realize it was a bold prediction till Jaydeep called it out :p . Some layman comments below!

Given my comment, I made it a point to watch them play for the first time today (had watched Sriram play a bit in Singles and Vishnu ofcourse given his stature in Hyderabad). Their game was exactly like how I imagined - strong on service games, decent return game and I would say decent volleys for Challenger level but as they move up, they may need to improve it by a notch here. The volley exchanges did not have much angles nor pace/depth and so more often they were the weaker team in this part and relying on opponent mistake (vs say how Lee/Purav who would more often than not dominate volley exchange points). So their pattern as expected is lot of tie-breaks and win an occasional service break with flashes of brilliance.

Ofcourse I saw Lee/Purav play the other day on livestream, I would much rather be in Vishnu/Balaji's position. Lee/Purav have a very weak second serve these days and the opponents were just SMASHING the return - Lee/Purav had no chance but to rely on reflex actions.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Vishnu-Bala may or may not reach top 100 level this year but they are surely on their way there. Third challenger title this year for them and fourth one for Vishnu (who had one with Matsui). They also had 1 runner up finish and Bala had another runner up with VSP.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great job by Vishnu/Balaji to win yet another Challenger doubles title. Balaji has some points falling off on Monday and 15 points falling off next week. So he needs to garner a few additional points to get to top 100.

Vishnu has duly risen to 118 (a new career high) and Balaji to 139 in the live doubles ranking.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Vishnu outlined the same goals that both of them have in this interview to Telangana Today: https://telanganatoday.com/vishnu-balaj ... bles-title