American hardcourt Challengers 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: American hardcourt Challengers 2017

Post by Varma »

RamK folded pretty quickly to Harrison. Is he carrying an injury or something? But then he is playing doubles too, so it can't be anything to do with his physical condition. How can he be so bad? I am leaning towards the thought of him feeling the exhaustion after playing so many weeks. In terms of tournaments played, he has got to be at the top 10-15 percent of the players on tour. It's time for him to slow down a bit.

At $100K Stockton Challenger 2017, California, USA

[R1] (5) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,150) l. Christian Harrison (USA,266) 1-6, 2-6

- Varma
Saniapower
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Saniapower »

No injury, good players do play doubles!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Varma wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:39 pm I am leaning towards the thought of him feeling the exhaustion after playing so many weeks. In terms of tournaments played, he has got to be at the top 10-15 percent of the players on tour. It's time for him to slow down a bit.
He is among top 2 in that among top 200. He has played 34 tournaments for the year so far same as Paulo Lorenzi from Italy. So, both are tied at top among top 200 . There are a couple of players in the 200-300 ranking bracket who have played more tournaments. But, it is astonishing the number of tournaments RamK has played.

The scorelines in his losses in last 3 weeks have been really bad.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

It has been one disappointing result after another to wake up to for a few weeks. The score lines are a bit worrying but we have nothing reported as being an issue.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think he should play a better schedule. Sooner rather than later, Mother Nature will win if you do not take care of your body and rest judiciously.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

I look at these losses to be "tactical" ones - he is losing to players much lower than him - maybe this impacts his current ranking and points situation less?

I agree with others in this forum - if he has played too much this year he should space it out a bit and factor in some recovery time between tournaments between now and the end of the year (also factor in some personal training time). This will put him in a stronger position and hopefully injury free at the start of the New year.

Prof
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Last 3 weeks one sided losses are disappointing. But, overall RamK still generally struggles at challenger level. Of the 17 challenger tournaments he has played this year, he has lost in first or second round in 15 of them. The 2 challengers where he has made past the second round, he has gone on to reach the final. He needs to do better at challenger level to be a consistent top 150 level player and better.

He may not be getting too much time to train well due to this constant stream of tournament play.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

knarayen wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm I look at these losses to be "tactical" ones - he is losing to players much lower than him - maybe this impacts his current ranking and points situation less?

I agree with others in this forum - if he has played too much this year he should space it out a bit and factor in some recovery time between tournaments between now and the end of the year (also factor in some personal training time). This will put him in a stronger position and hopefully injury free at the start of the New year.

Prof
If you meant that he is experimenting to improve his game, perhaps by hitting his backhand or working on some other aspect, then these losses are fine....
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

arjun2761 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:56 pm
knarayen wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm I look at these losses to be "tactical" ones - he is losing to players much lower than him - maybe this impacts his current ranking and points situation less?

Prof
If you meant that he is experimenting to improve his game, perhaps by hitting his backhand or working on some other aspect, then these losses are fine....
Yes that is what I meant. He should know best what he is trying to do - but the choice for him is to struggle to win with what he has, or work on some new things (for example, a more attacking return of serve) that will require more skills than he currently has. If he is working on these new things, then he runs the risk of getting creamed by some guys who are much lower than him, which is what may have happened in this case. Hard to tell since I wasnt physically there to watch.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

knarayen wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pmYes that is what I meant. He should know best what he is trying to do - but the choice for him is to struggle to win with what he has, or work on some new things (for example, a more attacking return of serve) that will require more skills than he currently has. If he is working on these new things, then he runs the risk of getting creamed by some guys who are much lower than him, which is what may have happened in this case. Hard to tell since I wasnt physically there to watch.
I don't know if any of our guys try to do this, but on the other hand, if anybody does, it may be RamK. That's because, unlike other guys who try to play less and are constantly under pressure of defending points and moving up, RamK seems to just enter one event after another, and so may not be under that kind of pressure. He could well be trying what you are saying. At least I hope he is. It is extremely valuable to do that in competitive games and improve one' game, though only very few guys ever think like that.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Because it gets costly and especially for our guys who don't have money to travel, that is a luxury. Anyway, good luck to him and hope he rebounds back soon. But, perhaps, I wish he would not be experimenting in so many of them: 15 out of 17 Challengers :p
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

RamK and Hach Verdugo lost in the straight sets against qualifiers.

At $100K Stockton Challenger 2017, California, USA

[QF] Hans Hach Verdugo (MEX)/ Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND) l (Q) Denis Kudla (USA)/ Mikelis Libietis (LAT) 67(5) 46
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

With his last few weeks form, this will be a tough match for RamK against former top-75 Kamke.

At $100K Fairfield Challenger 2017, California, USA

[R1] (7) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,149) vs Tobias Kamke (GER,199)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

RamK's R1 match is around 1pm today in Fairfield, CA.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Lost the 1st set 4-6. 2 breaks to 1.