ATP Grass season 2017-w/c 15/7 Newport HOF

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP Grass season 2017-w/c 17/6 - Queens/Halle/Ilkley/Brum

Post by sameerph »

Overall Yuki won more points than Fritz (97 to 94 ) but still lost the match. Sad that he could not win those key couple of points which mattered.
vparam
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vparam »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 pm Yuki needs to work a lot harder in the gym. Even when he dominates a player in the first set, he starts feeling the pressure late in the second set, partly because he knows that he isn't going to last through the third set (my theory/hunch). Otherwise, it's difficult to explain the choke at 30-0 on his own serve, leading 61 53. He should be able to make decent serves at that stage (even if he loses say 2 of the next 6 points).Losing 4 consecutive points at that stage is unconscionable, and is a mix of physical and mental issues (I think mainly the former, which works on the latter).
Well said PK. I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see a consistent top 100 Indian singles player. I have been absent from this board for a while as the continued disappointment from our so called "up and comers" have been depressing. Even the doubles results have been mostly inconsistent as Sania is showing signs up slipping as she continues to change partners and Bops and Paes level of play seems to be declining.

Yuki briefly making into the top 100 was short lived and Ram K it appears will be a challenger/futures player for his career. Hope I am wrong but this sinking feeling of our players never being able to compete on the ATP tour is beginning to set in.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If Yuki is fit for the next 3 months, he will be back in the top-100. Grass is a surface he has played too little on, and I'm glad he has played a full season on the surface this year. But hard courts are where he thrives. Asian hard courts especially -- but he missed that part of the season with injury.
Even if he gets back to the top-100, I think Yuki will struggle to move up because he has limitations in his game (first serve mainly) and especially his fitness level. He has to work a lot harder on the latter if the next 5 years are to be productive (by which I mean consistent top-100 ranking, and the occasional foray toward #50 when opportunities arise).
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

78 of the current top 100 players are older than Yuki, many of them by several years. So, age is not necessarily a barrier. However, we still have not seen Yuki ever play a full season of tennis. That's the bigger hurdle.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Pretty good win by Bops & Dodig to make it to the semis by beating the top seeds and world# 1 team!

At €1.9M Aegon Championship 2017, London, England

[QF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/Ivan Dodig (CRO) d. (1) Henri Kontinen (FIN)/John Peers (AUS) 7-6(2), 4-6, [10-2]

They will get a day's rest tomorrow before playing the winners of Bryan/Bryan or Benneteau/Roger-Vasselin for a place in the title match.

- Varma
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

vparam wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:04 pm
PKBasu wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 pm Yuki needs to work a lot harder in the gym. Even when he dominates a player in the first set, he starts feeling the pressure late in the second set, partly because he knows that he isn't going to last through the third set (my theory/hunch). Otherwise, it's difficult to explain the choke at 30-0 on his own serve, leading 61 53. He should be able to make decent serves at that stage (even if he loses say 2 of the next 6 points).Losing 4 consecutive points at that stage is unconscionable, and is a mix of physical and mental issues (I think mainly the former, which works on the latter).
Well said PK. I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever see a consistent top 100 Indian singles player. I have been absent from this board for a while as the continued disappointment from our so called "up and comers" have been depressing. Even the doubles results have been mostly inconsistent as Sania is showing signs up slipping as she continues to change partners and Bops and Paes level of play seems to be declining.

Yuki briefly making into the top 100 was short lived and Ram K it appears will be a challenger/futures player for his career. Hope I am wrong but this sinking feeling of our players never being able to compete on the ATP tour is beginning to set in.
No investment = No results. It's not rocket science.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Bopanna/Dodig is obviously a strong partnership, as we've also seen in the IPTL. Beating the world #1 pair is a big deal.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Excellent win by Rohan and Dodig.

Btw, Here is the recording of Yuki's match against Fritz yesterday-

Yuki vs. Fritz
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Leander/Shamasdin are live on the ATP stream against Millman/Saville 3-4 on serve

Breaks at 4-4 to go 5-4 up and serves out to win the 1st set 6-4
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

64 45 now. Paes/Shamasdin had two break points in the 9th game of set 2 but couldn't convert.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

6-all in the second set. Tiebreak time.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

And Paes wins the tiebreak 7-2, almost every point being a Paes point (either brilliant volleys or fine service returns like the last point).
Through to the final 64 76(2)

At $150K+H Ilkley Challenger 2017, England (Grass)

[SF] (1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Adil Shamasdin (CAN) bt (PR) John Millman (AUS)/ Luke Saville (AUS) 64 76(2)

[F] (1) Leander Paes (IND)/ Adil Shamasdin (CAN) vs (WC) Brydan Klein (GBR)/ Joe Salisbury (GBR)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Without hitting the ball Sania-Coco r in the semis and they will face 4th seed Aussie pair.

At $820K Aegon Classic Birmingham 2017, England (Premier)

[QF] Sania Mirza (IND)/ CoCo Vandeweghe (USA) bt Lucie Safarova (CZE)/ Barbora Strycova (CZE) w/o

[SF] Sania Mirza (IND)/ CoCo Vandeweghe (USA) bt (4) Ashleigh Barty (AUS)/ Casey Dellacqua (AUS)
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Coco just retired at 1 set all in her singles QF so that probably means the end of the tournament for Sania :-(
Varma

Post by Varma »

End of Pre-Wimbledon party for Bops and Dodig. One break each in either set did them in against the French pair.

At €1.9M Aegon Championship 2017, London, England

[SF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/Ivan Dodig (CRO) l. Julien Benneteau (FRA)/Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) 5-7, 4-6

- Varma