ATP World Tour Masters/ WTA 2017 - Rogers/ Cincinnati

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP World Tour Masters/ WTA Clay court season 2017

Post by prasen9 »

I think from time to time we are frustrated that people whom we support are not doing well. Then, we make emotional statements. In essence, Mr. Ghosh feels that there is not much point in Sania's playing because he does not put much value in a world #10 or #20 or #50 in doubles. But, I think the key is that it is the player's call to make as to what is valuable to him or her. To Somdev, doubles has no value (or he feels he cannot make it in doubles), while to Lee even challenger wins have value! Let them do what they want. It is up to us to follow or not.
rajitghosh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by rajitghosh »

arjun2761 wrote:
rajitghosh wrote:Time for Sania to retire?
Why? Clearly this is an absurd question from a tennis perspective as elegantly outlined by many above. Do you have other considerations that are in your mind?
Her results are worse than when she parted with Hingis. Looks like her game has gone down or no good player wants to partner her.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote:I think from time to time we are frustrated that people whom we support are not doing well. Then, we make emotional statements. In essence, Mr. Ghosh feels that there is not much point in Sania's playing because he does not put much value in a world #10 or #20 or #50 in doubles. But, I think the key is that it is the player's call to make as to what is valuable to him or her. To Somdev, doubles has no value (or he feels he cannot make it in doubles), while to Lee even challenger wins have value! Let them do what they want. It is up to us to follow or not.
Lee should anyway retire
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

rajitghosh wrote:
arjun2761 wrote:
Why? Clearly this is an absurd question from a tennis perspective as elegantly outlined by many above. Do you have other considerations that are in your mind?
Her results are worse than when she parted with Hingis. Looks like her game has gone down or no good player wants to partner her.
She still had a WTA masters final and couple of SF'S this year. No reason to even think of taking drastic step of retiring as you suggested.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

rajitghosh wrote:
prasen9 wrote:I think from time to time we are frustrated that people whom we support are not doing well. Then, we make emotional statements. In essence, Mr. Ghosh feels that there is not much point in Sania's playing because he does not put much value in a world #10 or #20 or #50 in doubles. But, I think the key is that it is the player's call to make as to what is valuable to him or her. To Somdev, doubles has no value (or he feels he cannot make it in doubles), while to Lee even challenger wins have value! Let them do what they want. It is up to us to follow or not.
Lee should anyway retire
You've said this a few times, but there is no reason for him to do so until he decides he's had enough. He is the defending French Open MxD title holder, after all.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Mr. Ghosh is entitled to his opinion. However, the rest of the world possibly does not care about his opinion. And, Lee does not care and should not care about what anyone else thinks. As long as he wants to do it, he should keep playing. Ditto for anyone else. Sania. Yuki. Etc.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Paes/Lipsky lost the SF in Geneva to top-seeded Rojer/Tecau 36 63 (3-10).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

prasen9 wrote:Mr. Ghosh is entitled to his opinion. However, the rest of the world possibly does not care about his opinion. And, Lee does not care and should not care about what anyone else thinks. As long as he wants to do it, he should keep playing. Ditto for anyone else. Sania. Yuki. Etc.
I feel very sad about Lee. I used to play tennis at South Club in the early 90's around the time Lee had won Junior Wimbledon. I used to watch him practice with his coach Piperno. I was amazed by his work ethic as against a certain Zeeshan Ali who projected himself as the son of one of the club officials (Akhtar and Zeeshan Ali had some attitude that Lee never had). He has achieved everything he could have achieved over the years. He has given us more joy that perhaps any other Indian tennis player winning matches he was not expected to win- who can forget Frejus or the Olympics. Watching him grind it out in the Challenger circuit is pathetic. He has nothing left to prove. He has reached the phase where people are questioning why not rather than why. I don't think his best ever partner Radek Stepanek would partner him again.
I think Sania is going the same way. Parting with Hingis was suicidal. I am not sure if her game has regressed but what is certain is she is not able to find the right partner. If she had somehow partnered with Bethanie Mattek-Sands she may have done well but otherwise it would be all downhill for her. Now her results are worse than what they were compared to her last few months with Hingis. Fact is even Hingis is doing only marginally better.
In doubles chemistry counts a lot so pairs like Lee-Hesh, Lee-Radek and Santina like work but the individuals with others won't be as effective. Hesh for example, never reached the same heights after parting with Lee in spite of playing with Rohan and others.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

But, if Lee enjoys playing, why should others take it upon themselves to force their opinion wrt what he has to do with his life? Ditto with Sania. Why can't we just let them play? They are not forcing us to follow them.

I agree with you that Sania-Hingis was perhaps one of the best partnerships Sania has been part of. However, we do not know everything. How do you know that Hingis wanted to continue playing with her? Tennis doubles history is rife with players breaking up. Marriages break up even when there are children because people cannot just tolerate each other. And, it is not that abuse happens in most of these. People just get disinterested. They get offended by what someone said sometime. And, these rifts then never get healed. That is what may have caused Lee-MB to break up. Maybe something like that happened between Sania and Hingis. Maybe they are mature and do not want to wash their dirty laundry in public. We have to accept that human relationships do not stay the same all the time. And, tennis players are human. Even though that acceptance has come after much agony for me wrt the LP-MB split and the Olympics doubles medal dream remaining unfulfilled.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

prasen9 wrote:But, if Lee enjoys playing, why should others take it upon themselves to force their opinion wrt what he has to do with his life? Ditto with Sania. Why can't we just let them play? They are not forcing us to follow them.
Prasen, In any case I do not think whatever we say makes any difference in the decision the players make in regard to their career plans. Else, we would have seen a lot of changes in their plans. :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

That's right. They do whatever they want. Fans say whatever they want. Free for all. :-)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Leander has extended his clay court season as he is playing with David Marrero at Prostejov Challenger.

At $150K+H Prostejov Challenger 2017, Czech Republic (Red clay)

[R1] (1) David Marrero (ESP)/ Leander Paes (IND) vs Julian Knowle (AUT)/ Igor Zelenay (SVK)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Less than a fortnight to go before he turns 44, and Leander's commitment to his game remains undimmed. Respect :notworthy:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

After winning the first set, Lee-David were a break up in the second, 1-0 ... After that, they lost next 6 games for giving favor to their opponents ... Here I thought they will fold easily in the match tie-break, but they recovered in the match tie-break for good win ... Next, they r facing Albot and Molchanov.

At $150K+H Prostejov Challenger 2017, Czech Republic (Red clay)

[R1] (1) David Marrero (ESP)/ Leander Paes (IND) bt Julian Knowle (AUT)/ Igor Zelenay (SVK) 76(4) 16 10-6

[QF] (1) David Marrero (ESP)/ Leander Paes (IND) vs Radu Albot (MDA)/ Denys Molchanov (UKR)
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Why? She'll retire when she thinks it's time (like she did from singles). She is still young and seems to be enjoying herself. As long as she is getting into events (based on her ranking), she should keep playing. It's not like she is taking away somebody's spot on a team.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the rest of the comments until after some time and I totally agree with prasen and PKB. I had to post as soon as I saw yours :)