ATP World Tour Masters/ WTA 2017 - Rogers/ Cincinnati

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

sportsfan
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP World Tour Masters/ WTA 2017 - Rogers/ Cincinnati

Post by sportsfan »

Ramk down a set against Donaldson
4-6, 1-0.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

He is well on the way to win set 2.
vparam
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vparam »

Go Ramk! Going to a 3rd set now. 4-6, 6-2.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Broken early in the third; Donaldson with the break.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Ramk playin grass court tennis.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Backhand needs a lot of work. Return game needs work. Foraying into the net on every serve(was doing it on both 1st and 2nd serves) is not going to help. Needs to mix up his game. Ground game(forehand and movement) is pretty much up there with the top players. Serve too. If he can work on these weaknesses, he can be top 20!
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

vatsal323 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:49 pm Backhand needs a lot of work. Return game needs work. Foraying into the net on every serve(was doing it on both 1st and 2nd serves) is not going to help. Needs to mix up his game. Ground game(forehand and movement) is pretty much up there with the top players. Serve too. If he can work on these weaknesses, he can be top 20!
my thoughts exactly. and no reason to believe he can't improve in those areas.. the way he's improved in last year or so, he seems to be able to work hard and put those things into match-play quite well.
fabshab

Post by fabshab »

Surely needs to work a lot on backhand
I dont know who comes to the net at every point of the service game
He was founding himself in no mans land most of the time while chipping forward and as a result was hitting volleys awkwardly
He was playing as if it was grass....there were hardly any rallies in the match making not enjoyable to watch
Serve and forehand is right up there....determination to win every point is heartening to watch
my thoughts "he is not playing like a top 100 player at all and would be suprised if he touches top 50 anytime in near future"
Really needs to take some time off....and work on the backhand but he carries on playing with that bug
Yuki is a far better and perfect player ....i have been watching both players for quite a some time now and yuki has shown a lot of progress comparitively than ramk who still relies on the serve and big forehand
Regardless of ranking ,for me yuki is the no.1 indian tennis player ryt now and if stays injury free he will shoot up the rankings very rapidly
And Yuki has the top 20 potential and i think he will be there sometime and i hope soon
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

I guess someone needs to put the score

Ramkumar Ramanthan(L) lost to Jarded Donaldson(W) 4-6, 6-2, 4-6
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Great effort from RamK. Sadly, this was played at the wrong time for me to watch/follow. But the fact that he took a set off Donaldson -- and off Baghdatis in his previous loss on the tour -- suggests he is comfortable at this level. We all know his backhand is a key weakness, but it has become slightly less of a liability than it was a year ago. RamRam is a fighter!
Varma

Post by Varma »

He sure is a fighter. I didn't get to watch, so I will rely on all the comments above to visualize how it went. I was following the score updates constantly and felt that he fought tooth and nail for each point, including the last game. I think he came from 15-40 to deuce in that last game as Donaldson was serving for the match, if my memory serves me right.

Bravo, RamK! Let's iron those kinks out soon.

- Varma
Varma

Post by Varma »

fabshab wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm ...Regardless of ranking ,for me yuki is the no.1 indian tennis player ryt now and if stays injury free
That has been this forum's unamimous opinion since we first saw the picture of Yuki in diapers 25 years ago :p

Damn...it's not funny anymore :damn:

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Great effort but as mentioned by other members he needs to work hard on those weaknesses.

Sania and Peng r in the quarters with straight sets win over Goerges and Savchuk ... Next, they r facing Romanian pair, Irina-Camelia Begu and Raluca Olaru.

At $2.5M Western & Southern Open 2017, Cincinnati, USA (Premier 5)

[R2] (4) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Shuai Peng (CHN) bt Julia Goerges (GER)/ Olga Savchuk (UKR) 75 64

[QF] (4) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Shuai Peng (CHN) vs Irina-Camelia Begu (ROU)/ Raluca Olaru (ROU)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Nice to see the partnership with Peng Shuai (who still plays singles quite successfully on tour); I hope this is a long-term arrangement. I remember watching Sania/Cara Black beating reigning champions Peng and Hsieh Su-wei 6-1, 6-0 in the final of the year-end WTA Finals in 2014. Soon afterwards, Sania began playing with Hsieh, but I remember thinking it would have been better to pair with Peng!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

I am so close ….. , I am there….. , I can feel it ….., I will make things work…….. these were the words Ram said in May when discussing the close losses , And "make things work" he did as they were no empty words and he has proved ever bit of it as from then onwards we have seen 2 challenger Finals , combined with quality wins including 3 Top 100 wins which could have been 5 easily , A Career high ranking and still rising and all this goes to shows what self belif and confindence in own self can do .

But one again the back hand apologist are in full force and no matter whatever he does this backhand rant doesn't look it will die out any time soon.If he really cannot play the back hand well , It’s a simple question would he be ranked so high , Would he be able to score any one of the theses unbelievable victories he has done in these past 3 months and instead would be languishing in 300 , 400 rank with some our guys who don't seem to have any issues about their backhand
None of these victories or rise in Rankings would have happened if all of these BackHand comments are to be believed.

This was match he should have won , In the eight game of the first set Ram 4-3 ahead on serve hand his opponent love 15 down and the next point had total control pining his opponent on the baseline who could barely return and than had one easy floating ball and instead of smashing it tried a volley which just missed the lines and would have had him love 30 down , and Ram when he has anyone love 30 in crucial game invariably breaks them and it would have been a different story had he won the first set. , But still no shame in this close 3 set loss to one of the hottest player on the circuit and at the start of the match knew Ram had a 50% chance and how well he lived upto it and just fell short of a major upset.