American ATP hardcourt season 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Biswarup
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: American ATP hardcourt season 2017

Post by Biswarup »

He is way down the qualifying alternates list in cincinnati.Needs a host of withdrawals to have a chance.Viable option would be to play vancover challenger that week
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I think he should have played in Montreal. Had he won today, he would have had to play one or two more matches this week, and the qualifier opponents will be easier. Momentum is too precious a thing to waste.

I particularly disliked the silly excuse given by his trainer to cricketics ("we don't even know if there is a flight to Montreal"). I guarantee him there are lots. Yuki sadly has not had professionals around him at all through his career. Hopefully this week's prize money will help to change all that.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

So what is he doing: taking off this weekend?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks punarayan for your description and analysis.

From the few glimpses of his play that I watched, Yuki looked fit and determined, a tough opponent to beat. If he develops that sort of reputation early, it'll be to his advantage. Also, the phlegmatic and seemingly downcast Yuki we see in Challengers was banished from the big stage, where Yuki was animated and emphatic in his celebrations of tough points won. Clearly the bigger crowds help him raise his game, which is great to see. He needs to permanently graduate from the Challenger level and play the proper ATP tournaments on a regular basis. This week's points will help immensely. He needs a couple more like this in the next 4-6 months, and he'll be there.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Cricketics, was Ankita courtside for all Yuki's matches? I'm trying to figure out if she has become his travelling coach -- which would be a great interim arrangement.

This week Yuki had a large part of his immediate family with him, which must have helped. Somehow this (apart from Newport) is one tournament Indians have always done well in: it was here that Somdev beat Marin Cilic in 2009 (after losing the Chennai final to him earlier in the year).
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am I particularly disliked the silly excuse given by his trainer to cricketics ("we don't even know if there is a flight to Montreal"). I guarantee him there are lots. Yuki sadly has not had professionals around him at all through his career. Hopefully this week's prize money will help to change all that.
Probably he meant that there were hardly any tickets available. For example: Rohan mentioned in his video (https://www.facebook.com/Rohan.Bofors.B ... 217520801/) that he was trying to find a flight to Montreal but could not find a ticket and hence he will be there on Sunday. Given that, I guess Yuki had no option but to opt out given that he needed to be there on Saturday.

Ofcourse if it was well planned then they could have done flexible ticket bookings much in advance which allow them to change the dates but difficult to criticize Yuki's group for that.
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:15 pm Cricketics, was Ankita courtside for all Yuki's matches? I'm trying to figure out if she has become his travelling coach -- which would be a great interim arrangement.

This week Yuki had a large part of his immediate family with him, which must have helped. Somehow this (apart from Newport) is one tournament Indians have always done well in: it was here that Somdev beat Marin Cilic in 2009 (after losing the Chennai final to him earlier in the year).
Hey buddy, no. Ankita was not there. I saw Sana in the qualifying game over the weekend and then did not see her either. His uncle, aunt and cousins were there along with Physio. His uncle and I had a chat and he lives in Virginia only and he and his family visited every game and supported him well.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

KAndy defeated Sock 6-4, 6-3 in the semis so Yuki's performance looks even more creditable.

My only concern is how much of this translates to other tournaments. The commentators mentioned that the surface in DC was the second fastest on the tour in 2017 so far which clearly helped Yuki a lot (as it did for the big serving Anderson).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, Sinhombre. On a faster surface, Yuki's serve is less of a liability. In the last 3 matches against top notch player he lost his serve only 1-2 times in a match while at challenger level we see him dropping his serve so many time ( although he makes up for that by breaking his opponent's serve more times).

Earlier this year while playing challengers, Yuki had shown that he is comfortably playing at top 125 level, perhaps even top 100. But, this week is first time he has shown that he can play at top 50/ top 30 level. Lets see if he can sustain that level week after week and on slower surfaces. That will be the next test for Yuki, apart from of course maintaining his fitness.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Varma wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 am I would rather have him rest this week and come back fresh for Cincinnati qualies. He is in amazing form and certainly seem to have reached the next level with his game. Managing his body is of prime importance than just chasing points. If he stays healthy, he will raise his ranking up in a hurry.

- Varma
I agree. Watching Yuki I feel we have a top 50 (and more) player in the making. I'm going to try and make cinci quaiies.
It was great to see Yuki stand up to Anderson the way he did. But for a few serve decisions in the 3rd set first serve game, where he went down 0-1, this match was heading into Yuki territory and Anderson was looking shaky - he knew he pulled off a lucky win.

The thing that helped Anderson was the fast courts( faster than wimby!) and lighter balls.

Prof
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Does anyone know for sure if Yuki is playing qualifying at Cincy? I am about to book my flight and get some tickets online. The WS open page does not yet have the qualifying list of players.

Prof
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Currently Yuki is 30 out from qualies draw at Cincy. Not sure if we will see that many withdrawals from main/qualies draw.

He is 9 out from Vancouver challenger main draw. He might decide to go there.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

sameerph wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:06 pm Currently Yuki is 30 out from qualies draw at Cincy. Not sure if we will see that many withdrawals from main/qualies draw.

He is 9 out from Vancouver challenger main draw. He might decide to go there.
Thanks sameerph. I haven't decided yet.
sanjay8886

Post by sanjay8886 »

Yuki is 7 out from main draw in Vancouver. He has not withdrawn. In Cincinnati masters, he is 19 out of qualies. At this time, Vancouver is most likely destination.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It would be a travesty for him to have to play qualifiers in a Challenger, but that may be the only way to get some match-practice in the week before the US Open qualifiers. It makes sense to play in Vancouver rather than go into the USO qualifiers after a 2-week absence from match-play.