American ATP hardcourt season 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

cricketics

Re: American ATP hardcourt season 2017

Post by cricketics »

Our guy yuki played with full heart.

I just got thr word that henpulled out of Montreal. His physio was telling me that it was even hard to find flights at this time.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

I had to teach a class and missed the match after 4-4 in the first set. He was playing very well when I watched. Just the temperament was fun to see. So glad that he is back. I'm sure it will be up and up from here on, again. Hope injuries stay away... Jay
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Wow, awesome performance from Yuki! A slighter fitter and injury free Yuki (with good logistics and training/recovery support) clearly has top 50-60 game. Hope he can sustain his results to achieve that level. It's time for the sponsors and the AITA to find some resources to help him get there.

If he can develop his serve into more of a weapon, he could have top 30 potential.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Congratulations to Yuki on a very very good week.
punarayan

Post by punarayan »

The first game of the third set, with Yuki serving was the sliver of difference between them. Yuki I think started with a double fault and missed a few lines closely. Against another player, an early break is not conclusive, but with Anderson it is. Yuki is immensely more gratifying to watch, - the tall man's game is almost one dimensional. Yuki is a much improved player, with mature temperment and a go to inside-out forehand. The serving is accurate and his direction well disguised. I thought Yuki started reading Anderson's serve in the second set, but in the third Anderson was winning with unreturnable second serves. Against Pella, there was a moment in the second set, and being a break down, Yuki pulled off his bandage and let loose, throwing caution to the wind - it worked with a full flowing game and Pella was a puddle. Last few times I saw Yuki in person, he was hobbling to the net to finish a losing cause. I think he is more physically fit, mature and heading to the apex of his talents. He needs a team around now - it is unthinkable to have him trot the globe with no coach and funding. I hope this changes. Look forward to seeing more Indian tennis in the next few weeks. Cricketics - I was looking out for you on TV, but failed to spot you. You must have been the voice cheering Yuki in the background!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Good run by Yuki in reaching the qtrs and when he was playing his first qualifying match nobody except PKB believed he could reach this far.

It's probably too late to work on the serve ,but accuracy and good placement should compensate for speed.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yuki's impressive journey ended in Citi Open ... Very proud of with his performance and the way he played these matches with newly found vigour ... I think deserving one week break for him after all these matches against top players.

For completeness, Rohan's score.

[QF] (WC) Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Donald Young (USA) l (4) Bob Bryan (USA)/ Mike Bryan (USA) 57 46
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Rajiv wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:41 am Good run by Yuki in reaching the qtrs and when he was playing his first qualifying match nobody except PKB believed he could reach this far.

It's probably too late to work on the serve ,but accuracy and good placement should compensate for speed.
PKB is the eternal optimist but he thought Ram had the easier draw when I mentioned that Yuki had a nice draw with Kozlov and the inconsistent Monfils.

In any case, Montreal Q draw and Yuki as expected has pulled out. I think he could have made it through qualifying so a bit unfortunate.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sania-Monica lost the match in the match tie-break against Bouchard-Stephens after winning the first set comfortably.

At $250K Citi Open 2017, Washington, USA (WTA Tour)

[SF] (1) Sania Mirza (IND)/ Monica Niculescu (ROU) l Eugenie Bouchard (CAN)/ Sloane Stephens (USA) 61 57 8-10
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Divij-Purav lost after winning the first set against Cabal-Huey ... In the second set, they were a break up at 4-3 but lost next three games losing their serve twice ... Cabal-Huey proved better in the match tie-break.

At $728K Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Mifel presentado por Cinemex 2017, Los Cabos, Mexico

[SF] (4) Divij Sharan (IND)/ Purav Raja (IND) l (2) Juan Sebastian Cabal (COL)/ Treat Huey (PHI) 63 46 7-10
cricketics

Post by cricketics »

punarayan wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:37 am Cricketics - I was looking out for you on TV, but failed to spot you. You must have been the voice cheering Yuki in the background!
Sir I made a lot of noise for him today and through out the week. I can be seen in the highlights in the fromt row today early in the first set and then in the 2nd row after first set. I was wearing blue hat and yellow shirt.

Am I going to see you in New York later this month?

I will be there cheering for our Indian players.

Hope to see you soon.
Rahb

Post by Rahb »

Yuki not in Aptos Q draw . Either he got WC into the main draw or he is skipping this week
Biswarup

Post by Biswarup »

Is there any chance that bhambri might get a SE in Toronto main draw?
Varma

Post by Varma »

I would rather have him rest this week and come back fresh for Cincinnati qualies. He is in amazing form and certainly seem to have reached the next level with his game. Managing his body is of prime importance than just chasing points. If he stays healthy, he will raise his ranking up in a hurry.

- Varma
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Varma wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:49 am I would rather have him rest this week and come back fresh for Cincinnati qualies. He is in amazing form and certainly seem to have reached the next level with his game. Managing his body is of prime importance than just chasing points. If he stays healthy, he will raise his ranking up in a hurry.

- Varma
Ditto - I hope he takes a break especially if he has to play on Saturday in Cincinnati again. Just stay in the East Coast. Spend time with family and then head there after 3-4 days.

Offtopic but we should get more Indians to come out and support Ram / Yuki especially when there are so many Tennis playing / loving Indians in the US. Probably the bridge of information / awareness missing.