Egypt Mens/ Womens ITF tournaments 2017

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

bujilover
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Egypt Mens/ Womens ITF tournaments 2017

Post by bujilover »

Excellent comeback. I stopped following the scores when she was 1-4 down. Rutuja and Pranjala are our next best hopes in women's tennis, of course in addition to Karman and Zeel.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Glad that she won it. I'm a little concerned that she failed to serve out the first and second sets.

BTW There had been an MTO towards the end of the 2nd set. I hope everything's alright with Pranjala.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

bujilover wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm Excellent comeback. I stopped following the scores when she was 1-4 down. Rutuja and Pranjala are our next best hopes in women's tennis, of course in addition to Karman and Zeel.
And Mahak and Mihika?
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Daniel wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:04 pm
bujilover wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm Excellent comeback. I stopped following the scores when she was 1-4 down. Rutuja and Pranjala are our next best hopes in women's tennis, of course in addition to Karman and Zeel.
And Mahak and Mihika?
I meant immediate prospects. :-)
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Good to see Pranjala win the title despite the poor first set tiebreaker. Her opponent was ranked 703 in 2015, and has made the QF (losing to Riya Bhatia) and R2 in Futures at Sharm-el-Sheikh last year, so I'm surprised she's currently unranked. (That seems to suggest that the 3-tournament points rule applies even when you make a comeback to the WTA rankings, not just at the beginning).
Giada Clerici lost in R1 of several Futures this year after qualifying in, but this was certainly a spectacular week for her. Pranjala should not have struggled so much to beat Clerici (despite the latter's straight sets 63 61 win over 2nd seeded Mihaila in the SF): perhaps nerves in the final for Pranjala. But good that she pulled through in the end.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We have a very good cohort of talented young players now: Karman, Pranjala, Zeel Desai, Riya Bhatia (all competing to catch up with the slightly older Ankita Raina), plus Mahak Jain probably the most exciting prospect, and the slightly older Mihika Yadav the reigning Asian junior champion.

And Rutuja and Kanika (returning to the circuit from US colleges) will probably provide some intermediate competition to this group.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Terrific comeback in the final set by Pranjala ... Happy to see she managed to control her nerves after 1- down ... This was mostly due to her first ITF women's singles title match.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Good
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We have a very good set of players indeed but none of them have performed anywhere near top 100 potential yet. I do expect all of them to max out around 200 at this point.

Amongst the women, you need to be consistently in the top 20 in your age group to get there.
http://tennisabstract.com/reports/rankingsByAgeWta.html

Note that Yuki, RamK and Sumit (who is 18 amongst u20s currently) all have been in the bottom half of those lists.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki was in the top half of these rankings between the ages of 18 and 20, and occasionally when he was 21-22. While these are reasonable predictors, some late bloomers do come up (Daniel Evans being a good example), and many fail to fulfill their early promise. I think RamK is on track again to be a top-100 player with a bit of luck. Karman has many of the tools to make it to top-150, and I like the fact that Pranjala is willing to retool her game to achieve the necessary results. From this cohort, those two have always been the ones with the greatest potential. Mahak is still very young, so the next couple of years of preparation will be crucial for her.
Abish arul

Post by Abish arul »

pranjala has a well rounded game with no major weakness and he has a blistering backhand as the weapon.plus she is mentally tough she is the right candidate for our quest to wta top 100
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This week Kanika lost in final round of qualifying. :-(

Q1
Kanika VAIDYA (IND) [2] 6-1 6-2 Bianca BEVIONE (ITA)
Mayar SHERIF (EGY) 6-1 6-2 Swara KULKARNI (IND)
Adele Diana BIBA (CMR) 6-4 2-1 Retired Meenal MAHARWAL (IND)
Anastasia BURSA (RUS) Walkover Sitara PRABHU (IND)

Q2
Mayar SHERIF (EGY) 6-2 6-4 Kanika VAIDYA (IND) [2]

Mayer Sherif is not ranked now but has been ranked at a high of 575 earlier.

Main draw -

[R1] (SE) Pranjala YADLAPALLI (IND,1054) vs. (Q) Arlinda RUSHITI (SUI,1046)
[R1] Sri Vaishnavi PEDDI REDDY (IND,1004) vs. Verena HOFER (ITA,788)
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Kanika's single form is inconsistent and awful although her opponent was ranked as high as in the 500s and is staging a comeback. Rutuja is joining our girls from next week :D

Also, SVPR & Pranjala upset the top seeds in Doubles R1 earlier today. :clap:
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

Good grief! I never would have thought that Vera Zvonareva, a former top-10 player would play in Sharm El Sheikh,even if she wanted to stage a comeback.

Pranjala might just have to play her if both her and the Russian clears round 2.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Wow, that's totally unexpected. Vera was a solid top-10 player (possibly top-5 for a few years?). She made it to the finals of Wimbledon once, I think? Too lazy to dig out the facts. She might be playing this event for match practice. Otherwise, I am sure she would easily get wild cards for a few events.

- Varma