2017 Chennai Open

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2017 Chennai Open

Post by Prashant »

PKBasu wrote:Federer played junior tennis (and won the Wimbledon junior tennis), Nadal was specifically kept away from junior tournaments. Both models have their pluses and minuses.

True. However, Federer was playing tennis, soccer & squash competitively till he was 12. Then he decided to focus on just tennis. So he started taking the sport more seriously around the age of 13.

Jay has made this point above - I am very reluctant to use either Federer or Nadal as an example. These guys are generational prodigies. We need to look at all the top 100-150 and see the path followed, and there I would say probably 90% played the junior tournaments.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I have been meaning to write on this topic for a while and this might be a good time although not the right thread. I feel that in India, in order to make progress to senior level as a professional, it is critical that you excel at junior level, that you are far from everyone by a large distance (as Jay has also mentioned). So, when I hear about Indian juniors' success in any field, sports for sure, I really don't give much credence to that because in most developed countries, by and large, the juniors do play for fun, learn the basics, and not necessarily to get that competitive edge. It is there but it's not as critical as it is in India, so it's no surprise that Indian juniors seem to do well compared to the other counterparts in the world. However, when these juniors start their senior career, they have to compete with their counterparts in the world who are really really good and are focused on the game. They know the game in and out and, therefore, play the game much better than an Indian junior ever needed hitherto even at the world level. Of course, there are exceptions like Sania in the same way as Federer, Nadal, AB DeVilliers, etc., who are "generational" players as said by Prashant. But, it's a rarity in India where you always have to hedge your bets and develop an academic side at the expense of 10,000 hours of devotional sports practice, which is the minimum needed to be just "top" class and not necessarily sufficient to be "world" class.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Fabulous win for DiPu in the semifinal. A measure of revenge against Molteni too! Actually it's the second consecutive victory over him (following St Petersburg where DiPu then lost to Paes) after one loss at a Mexico Challenger last April.
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Atithee wrote:I have been meaning to write on this topic for a while and this might be a good time although not the right thread. I feel that in India, in order to make progress to senior level as a professional, it is critical that you excel at junior level, that you are far from everyone by a large distance (as Jay has also mentioned)......
<truncated long quote>

Well said. One thing I would add is the need for these juniors to cross-train in other sports like soccer for example (cricket even). I don't see a lot of that happening.

Prof
vatsal323
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by vatsal323 »

Have we ever had an all-Indian final in the history of ATP tournaments? Like where all 4 finalists are Indians?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Need to dig out that info. But, probably in the older times of Sr. Krishnan we might have had 2 doubles pairs in an ATP final as we had so many good players back then.

Rohan and Jeevan have won the first set 76(4). :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And they get the crucial break in 10th game of the second set to win the match and set up an all Indian doubles final.

[SF] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) d. (4) Nicolas Monroe (USA) / Artem Sitak (NZ) 76(4) 64

Also it is the first ATP final for Jeevan.

[F] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (IND) vs. Purav Raja (IND)/ Divij Purav (IND)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful to have an all-Indian final.
I had predicted at the start of the tournament that whoever won the DiPu vs PaeSa match would win the title. Now that it's an all-Indian final, it is anyone's match. May the better pair win!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I think this is the first-ever ATP tour event in which there is an all-Indian doubles final.
The closest I can remember was the doubles SF at Calcutta in the 1975 Indian Open, in which Vijay and Anand Amritraj beat Sashi Menon and his American partner (Jim Delaney). And the doubles SF in New Delhi in 1973 in which the Amritraj brothers beat Ramanathan Krishnan and Jeff Borowiak. The 1978 semifinal in Calcutta had Sashi Menon/Sherwood Stewart (the eventual champions) beating Anand and Ashok Amritraj.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

2006 Mumbai: Mahesh partnering Mario Ancic beat Rohan and Mustafa Ghouse in the final.
2012 Shanghai: Lee and Radek beat Mahesh and Rohan.
These are finals.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Yeah. But they weren't all-Indian finals in the sense that all 4 were Indians.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

rajitghosh wrote:2006 Mumbai: Mahesh partnering Mario Ancic beat Rohan and Mustafa Ghouse in the final.
2012 Shanghai: Lee and Radek beat Mahesh and Rohan.
These are finals.
Thanks for that, rajitghosh! The Shanghai final is probably the biggest tournament in the Open era with a near all-Indian doubles final (3-quarters Indian).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The singles final is underway. 20 year old Daniil Medvedev looks like another of the emerging stars on the ATP tour. Can he truly become one by beating 2nd seeded Bautista-Agut?

The all-Indian doubles final is scheduled to start 90 minutes from now.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Bautista Agut easily beat Medvedev in straight sets to win the singles title.

Doubles final has started and RoJe are upto a quick start leading 3-0 in the first start against DiPu.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

From 0-3 to 3-3. DiPu are getting into their stride.