2017 Chennai Open

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2017 Chennai Open

Post by PKBasu »

Saketh had a break point in the 5th game, but couldn't convert (although it was Youzhny's second serve on that point). 2-3 now (on serve).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Oh, Saki had a bp at 30-40 on Youzhny serve ( a superb lob to get to that bp). He played a superb drop shot on that point and left Youzhny return and it just landed in. :-( He had the break in his bag there.

After that Youzhny won the next 2 points to hold for 3-2.

Saki taken to deuce but holds for 3-3.

Saki again had a look at Youzhny serve with 30-0 up. But, he made a poor choice of shots on that trying a drop shot on a half court ball and that gave the initiative away. Youzhny won the next 3 points to hold for 4-3.

Saki holds at 15 for 4-4. Saki has won 13 out of 13 points on first serve here with 4 aces.

Youzhny holds at love and now Saki has a tough service game coming up at 4-5.

Damn, from 40-15 up, Saki lost the next 3 points and a sp down but had a nice high kicking serve on Youzhny bh and good volley. Deuce. Another sp down but saves it with a great volley, deuce, ad-in Saki, deuce , another bad ufe on fh gives third sp for Youzhny.

And Youzhny takes it this time to win the first set 6-4. Bad loss of serve from 40-15 up for Saki. I thought he just got a bit edgy there, just did not get too many first serves in that game and that made the difference.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Saki has a bp at 30-40 in the first game of the seconds set but Youzhny saves it with a big serve and then wins the next 2 points to hold.

Saki has made a lot of errors on forehand today. It is certainly his weaker wing. His backhand ( especially down the line) has been excellent. He needs to improve on his forehand.

And Saki gets broken at 30 to be 0-2 down. :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[R1] 7-Mikhail Youzhny (RUS, 57) d. Saketh Myneni (IND, 192) 64 63
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

And Youzhny kept that break and won the set and the match.

[R1] (WC) Saketh Myneni (IND,192) l. (7) Mikhail Youzhny (RUS,57) 46 36

Saketh played well but his forehand was a bit off color and he missed key points in the first set when he had a chance to take control of the match. In the second set , Youzhny asserted his class and never game Saketh a chance.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

When playing a higher-ranked player, one really has to grab every opportunity that comes one's way. Winning a set, for instance, can alter the trajectory of such a match.
I wish Saketh had played a Futures somewhere just to get into the winning habit. His last competitive match was in late-September, I think, and such rust is a big disadvantage in a match like this. Effectively, the home advantage is neutralised if the home player is rusty and out of practice.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

Saketh's first serve deserted him at crucial junctures. That was the turning point!
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Regardless of preparation, Saketh was always a very heavy underdog in this match. Youzhny is a top player & has been for a long time (QFs or better at all four GS for example). Even fully prepared, on a home court, Saketh would have needed lightning in a bottle here.
vishalg

Post by vishalg »

Is there any link to highlights of the match between Ramk and Yuki?
Varma

Post by Varma »

sameerph wrote:And Yuki completes a totally dominating win in 52 mins.
[R1] (Q) Yuki Bhambri (IND,474) d. (WC) Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,227) 61 61
What can we do to keep this guy healthy for the rest of this year? He had spent more time of his professional career on the sidelines licking wounds than being on court hunting. Do I need to mention that he hunts like a tiger whenever he is on song?

Let's see if sparing Yuki of his plight is in the list of God's new year resolutions!

- Varma
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yuki and RamK's comments after the match.

Chennai Open: Was important to not let go of the momentum, says Yuki Bhambri
“I just didn’t take my foot off the gas and it was important for me to keep pushing and keep at it because he’s a good fighter.”

“It was a bad match, bad day for me. I just don’t want to talk about it. But fair play and credit to Yuki for the way he played. He played it smart and credit to him for it,” Ramkumar said.

“I would take a few days off from here. In 2017, like 2016, I plan to play more Challenger events and to build from there,” is how Ramkumar would sum up the upcoming few weeks.

“I’m improving with every match. I still think there are a few areas I need to work on and get better, still to perform consistently on the court. That would come with more matches I play and to keep that going into Australia. That’s what the bigger picture is – to keep playing and keep winning,” is the different angle provided by Bhambri to his future.

Bhambri expects the second round against Paire to be an interesting one. “I’ve seen him around and he’s had good results. It is going to be a tough match. If I play solid, I give myself a good chance,” he concluded.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Today, 3 of our doubles matches will be played. Back to back matches on court 1 for Rohan/Jeevan and Saketh/RamK and the big match on centre court ( last one) between Leander/Sa vs. DiPu.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I like to call it "Paes-Sa vs DiPu" :p
(Paisa is the mild pun intended, although the paisa is now virtually extinct).
Ram

Post by Ram »

Abish arul wrote:can someone say how about yuki's groundstrokes did he got enough support from crowd however I haven't watched the match
Saw the match in the stadium. Definitely not one of RamK's good days. it was embarrassing as Yuki kept exposing the weakness in RamK's game rally after rally. Yuki definitely had his share of supporters like he mentioned at the end of the match. Chennaites are known for appreciating good skills. Plus it was an Indian Vs Indian. (remember Ind-Pak cricket match?).
Reg ground strokes : They were solid . I was particularly impressed with his service returns which forced RamK to go for broke and hence brought down his 1st serve %.

Talked to a famous local coach after the match & he feels aggression is getting lost in Indian tennis courtesy too much Junior tennis and Spanish sojourns. His remedy, ban all Junior tournaments upto 14yrs for the next 6 years. After seeing this match thought he made sense. :-)
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

[R1] Bopanna/Nedunchezhiyan defeat Demoliner/Mektic 64 64

Jeevan (now ranked #100 in doubles) made the doubles SF last year at Chennai (partnering Somdev), so he needs to win two more matches to defend his points.

Next up for them is Cerretani/Oswald, who beat top-seeded Erlich/Lipsky 10-8 in the STB.