Davis Cup 2017 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Davis Cup 2017 - India

Post by Atithee »

Prasen, how about simply the combined ranking of their top 5 players?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

I didn't have to look far although it has only top three. Don't know why we would not include #1 player, so I did. Here's one list. I think Prasen used the same one. I substituted 999 for blanks and India came out 26th. Not too shabby, eh?

http://tennisabstract.com/reports/countryRankings.html

Here is a better site with more data that can be used to normalize:

https://levashov.biz/the-most-tennis-countries/

There is a .csv table that you can extract.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

sameerph wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm
rajitghosh wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm As far as Davis Cup is concerned India had a terrible period between 1975 and 1980 when Onny Parun had Vijay Amritraj ' s number. But during that period on the tour we had several good players. Anand was there as was Sashi Menon. Ramesh had emerged by 1979. There were quite a few others like Chiradip Mukerjea, Ashok Amritraj, Premjit Lall in his closing years, Jasjit Singh etc. Who were competitive. I just don't see that happening any more.
So, you are comparing to a situation 40 years back and in that context did you say that Indian Tennis will sink further in next few years. Sinking further that what ?
. Among the current crop barring RamK I don't see anybody reaching even a 2nd tier level.
How do you define 1st tier and 2nd tier. If 1st tier is top 50 ranking, I too doubt if anyone will reach that level. But, we did not have anyone at that level for last 30 years. If 2nd tier is top 100, Yuki had already made it to that level.
Agree with sameer here.

Tennis was an an amateur upper class sport in that era.

As prasen said elsewhere,we need to normalize these "good" players by the general lack of competition.

Tennis is truly global now and has been for a while.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Atithee wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:43 am Prasen, how about simply the combined ranking of their top 5 players?
I would be fine taking the combined ranking of their top 2 singles players, giving it twice the weight, and the combined rank of the top 2 doubles players and giving it half the weight as a proxy of Davis Cup success. But, top-5 players is useless. Pretty much only the top 2 play, maybe if you take out the superstars who do not play, then top-3/4. Top-5 for all countries is not very useful a metric. That is, I do not really care about India's #5 for DC.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Nice work, Prasen in working out that ranking

Anyway, our current davis cup ranking is #20 which is based on performances in davis cup in last 4 years. I think that is a pretty good indication of where we are currently.

Davis cup rankings

Atithee may say that everyone from top nations does not play in davis cup but I do not think there will be too much difference in this ranking and the way you are working out.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Hmm ... Will be interesting match.

Davis Cup: Did India's doubles misdirection against Canada cost the team a place in World Group?
As it turned out Balaji got injured just before the Indian squad flew to New York for a week-long camp and Myneni was too rusty to play. “Saketh has been training hard but we felt that he is still a few weeks away from playing a five-set match,” Bhupathi told the press on the eve of the tie.

A few weeks away from playing a five-setter, let along winning one. If Myneni was so far behind in his fitness, what miracle was Bhupathi exactly hoping to work in a week in New York? And if he was not in shape to play a doubles five-setter how would he have played a singles rubber if required?

While India decided to ignore Paes’ experience, Canada decided to reward Daniel Nestor. At 45, Nestor is the only man on the tour older than Paes. A former world No 1 and 12-time Grand Slam champion, Nestor has also slid down the rankings, all the way to 43, this year. He had lost five successive matches heading into the Davis Cup tie. But rather than leaving him in the cold, Canada gave him the best-possible foil in Pospisil.

Even though there were times when Nestor played every bit like a tired 45-year-old, his champion instinct was intact at the crucial points.

The Indian team, meanwhile, was remarkably low on energy. Bopanna is not one of life’s natural-born leaders, but the tall Coorgi needed to step it up in the match. He was the highest ranked player on the court, by far, and should have been inspiring his less-experienced partner. But Bopanna was happy to remain in the shadows and survive on his serve. Raja made a few clever interceptions at the net with Bopanna serving, but Bopanna did very little to protect Raja’s under-fire serve. Canada, anchored by the athletic Pospisil, was a tough but by no means an unbeatable team. They made 27 unforced errors, to India’s 21, and gave the visitors 12 break point chances. But India converted only four and never really rose to the occasion.