Davis Cup 2017 - India

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Davis Cup 2017 - India

Post by PKBasu »

For what it is worth, Yuki beat Schnur 64 46 64 in the final dead rubber, so India officially lost 2-3.
Sad to see that RamK seems to have failed to put up much resistance against Shapovalov. The crowd must have been a big help to Denis. RamK's first serve percentage of just 48% couldn't have helped, and nor would have his performance at the net (11 of 39 points won there).
Varma

Post by Varma »

S_K_S wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:57 pm Any country in the world where it isn't?
I don't know about other countries, but in the US there are tons and tons of public tennis courts all over the country. In most places, you just have to walk less than 10 minutes to get to one. All you got to buy is a decent racquet and tennis balls, which are not really all that expensive, to get your kids initiated into the sport. Community and group tennis lessons are fairly affordable to most. But once you get serious and want to get private lessons (if you think the kid is talented enough), money factor kicks in...probably big time as you progress through the ranks. But that initiation and introductory phase to Tennis is almost impossible and unreachable to a major chunk of kids in India.

- Varma
Florian Buechting

Post by Florian Buechting »

S_K_S wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 pm It's Schnur vs Yuki in the meaningless 5th rubber which I never understand why it has to be played.
Very different opinion on my side. Because it is a matter of honour to compete for your country. And because the people who went there deserve it
Florian Buechting

Post by Florian Buechting »

Hi everyone,
final words from Edmonton, I guess.

2-3 loss in the tie, I feel most of us would have liked this result before starting this thing off. Me too... It has been a good result and though there has been potential to do even better, we should be really proud of our guys and the way they performed.

I really loved RamK playing... I have been very afraid after the first games which the Canadian converted so quickly... But then, RamK gave him a good fight. Two crucial situations, the set points non-converted and finally a terrible call by the referee - I agree to RamK that it looked like he challenged a ball (which seemed to be wide out...). But he did all he can. Hesh looked like finally giving up after Ram got broken in that one... A bit sad, it just had been one break... Finally, we converted too few chances in all three, rubber #2 to #4, to take the sensation...

I was very happy how Yuki played and fought to get that fifth rubber. Both players deserved huge credits for their effort in this match from my point of view. Final score 2-3, an overall of 19 sets... I feel it has been a really cool weekend in Edmonton... Bad luck, we have to be back in playoffs in Sep 2018 now...
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agree with Varma - I have 6 public courts a mere 5 minutes walking distance from my home.

I had one close to where I lived in Amsterdam as well but unfortunately that got demolished.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

S_K_S wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:57 pm
jai_in_canada wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 pm it's still a sport for the rich
Any country in the world where it isn't?
Good question. Made me realize that I did not articulate my point well. It is indeed very expensive to develop a talented tennis player into a professional one... anywhere in the world. I was thinking more along the lines that Varma has articulated so much better than I did when he stated "... that initiation and introductory phase to Tennis is almost impossible and unreachable to a major chunk of kids in India." They don't even get to start.. or think about starting. I had in mind the Williams Sisters as a model.

Even if it is done in tiny increments over the next 50 years, it might be a worthwhile goal... but one that will need to overcome massive hurdles like the lack of will, vision, focus, planning, funds, integrity and energy.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:07 am For what it is worth, Yuki beat Schnur 64 46 64 in the final dead rubber, so India officially lost 2-3.
Sad to see that RamK seems to have failed to put up much resistance against Shapovalov. The crowd must have been a big help to Denis. RamK's first serve percentage of just 48% couldn't have helped, and nor would have his performance at the net (11 of 39 points won there).
Add to that an ineffective second serve and Shapovalov had possibly many more winners than RamRama by virtue of better shot-making. I thought he was outplayed at the crucial times although he tried to hang in for a significant part of the match.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Happy with the result. We fought hard. Saketh gets healthy and our doubles problem gets sorted.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, better than which we predicted before the tie ... Here r complete result of the tie.

At Davis Cup 2017 - World Group Play-off, Edmonton, Canada

India l Canada 2-3

Day One
[R1] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,154) bt Brayden Schnur (CAN,202) 57 76(4) 75 75
[R2] Yuki Bhambri (IND,157) l Denis Shapovalov (CAN,51) 67(2) 46 76(6) 64 16

Day Two
[R3] Rohan Bopanna (IND)/ Purav Raja (IND) l Daniel Nestor (CAN)/ Vasek Pospisil (CAN) 57 57 75 36

Day Three
[R4] Ramkumar Ramanathan (IND,154) l Denis Shapovalov (CAN,51) 36 67(1) 36
[R5] Yuki Bhambri (IND,157) bt Brayden Schnur (CAN,202) 64 46 64
Varma

Post by Varma »

Asking Yuki and Saketh to stay healthy has not been practical thus far. Yuki was always expected to be top notch (at least by Indian standards), while Saketh - with no junior record - started making huge strides with his explosive game. Even though we got to know him a bit during his college years, he certainly beat all expectations we have had on him by a mile. I have nothing but huge respect towards these guys for showing so much of perseverance after each long layover. Given his age, it may not be a bad decision for Saketh to switch to doubles full-time, if he can't go past his career best soon. Yuki may still fancy his chances in singles for another few years. Anyway, I can't imagine what the past few years would have been like, had these two stayed healthy. There is the Khanna dynasty, and then there is fate...two perennial nemeses of Indian Tennis. :damn: :damn: :damn:

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Expected result in the end. Both RamK and Yuki beat Schnur. This is good as he is ranked only a few places below them and on home courts could have been expected to create an upset. They did not allow that to happen. We needed one more win which we could not get. The closest to get was Yuki on the first day who put a valiant fight against Shapovalov. Doubles was somewhat of a disappointment as Canadian pair did not seem to be at their best but we could not capitalise.

So, for the fourth straight year, we lost in the world group play off. But, I think we are closer to the world group level now than the earlier years.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

jayakris wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:56 am Not a bad day for the Asian zone. In the world group semis, AUS 1-1 at Belgium in the world group, and in the world group playoffs, JPN 2-0 at home against Brazil, KAZ 1-1 at home against Argentina and India 1-1 at Canada. Looks like at least Japan will be there with Australia in the world group next year, and hopefully India and Kazakhstan can join them.
Australian lost the SF from being 2-1 up going in to the final day. The key match was Goffin beating Kyrgois in the first reverse singles.

Kazakhstan and Japan advance to the world group with wins over Argentina and Brazil respectively.

We remain in Asia Oceania Group 1.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

The day we have 3 fit top 100 players, some way or the other we will make it the world group
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

The biggest disappointment was the doubles. We perhaps did better than expected in singles on the road, with both our guys beating Schnur and Yuki playing such a tough match against Shapovalov who is clearly on his way to the top-20 very soon.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

My schedule is all a mess these days... Could only check scores a couple of times each during the matches. Well, we did not embarrass ourselves or anything, but a bit more fitness for Yuki in that 5th set on day-1, we could have pulled this off. The doubles loss was a real disappointment, though they stayed close in the match.

Back to Asian zone once again. No Kazakhstan, Japan or Australia to worry about, next year.

If Bops isn't playing regularly with an Indian, there is no point in taking him based on his high doubles ranking. A regular Indian pair that plays with each other is certainly better. But to find one good backup singles player who is great at doubles too, has been a real chore - so doubles only team is not a possibility either. Anyway, if Bops is there, play one of our singles guys with him, because he has rarely been able to do much by taking over a doubles match like LP or MB could do in their primes, whoever was playing with them. We just need to go with a strategy to win the doubles, rather than to win 3 singles matches because that is not going to happen easily in a world group playoff tie. Play Yuki or RamK who is healthy enough in doubles with Bops and give up a reverse singles match which may anyway be lost... Or if Saketh gets healthy and keep singles going a little longer to be a viable backup, but paying doubles more seriously on the tour, then we will go places.