Tennis at the London Olympics 2012

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

rajorshi
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Tennis at the London Olympics 2012

Post by rajorshi »

So you expect to say anything about any player and get away with it. I am sure she would not have been ''mediocre'' had she showed praises on Lee.
Bdw since you like ''argument'', care to check Sania's highest singles ranking?

P.S. Be my english teacher!
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

I strongly disagree with any suggestion that Sania is mediocre. She has not had a mediocre career by any means. Winning two Slam mixed doubles titles (coming from a country that has never produced another top-100 woman player ever) is a remarkable achievement -- as is being ranked in the top-50 in singles for 5 years running, and in the top-10 for doubles for a total of nearly a full year. Only Vijay Amritraj and Ramesh Krishnan have done marginally better in singles (among the men) and neither did quite as well as Sania in doubles. If she is mediocre, Indian tennis has produced only mediocrity (which is a notion I strongly disagree with; among Asian countries, our achievements are still among the top 3-4 over the Open era).

The "excuse" offerred by Sania for MB-SM's performance at Wimbledon is nonetheless pretty lame.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

rajorshi wrote:So you expect to say anything about any player and get away with it.
No, I welcome reasonable debates. But, calling someone mediocre mediocre is not abuse. If someone exaggerates, I will defend my use.
I am sure she would not have been ''mediocre'' had she showed praises on Lee.
No, she would be still mediocre. Logic, my friend.
Bdw since you like ''argument'', care to check Sania's highest singles ranking?
No, I do not. Her highest singles ranking was close to #30, if I recall correctly. That means that about 30 players were better than her at that point of time. I am not sure about the exact number but there should be at least a hundred players would have had a career high rank of 30. Mediocre.
P.S. Be my english teacher!
No time sir! :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKB, how we use labels is subjective. BTW, when I use an adjective, I am using world standards. Obviously, she is the best women's tennis player from India ever. She is, no doubt, an Indian great. Asia does not really have a great tradition in tennis. So, an Asian great, perhaps too. But, wrt world-wide standards, she is rather mediocre. Two mixed doubles slams not withstanding. Maybe a very good doubles player. But, that is about it. A mediocre tennis professional. In my books.

The greats in women's doubles are Navratilova, Shriver, Court, Zvereva, Fernandez, King, Williams sisters, Novotna, Ruano Pascual,Wills Moody, Hingis, etc. [Not a comprehensive list.]
Last edited by prasen9 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Your standards are obviously rather high. Among the 100-200 million tennis players in the world, she has been ranked in the top-50 for five consecutive years (in singles; and top-10 in doubles for more than 12 months). That is not mediocrity in my book; if I were top-50 in the world in anything, I would be mighty pleased with myself...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKB, agreed with your post fully. I would be quite happy to be top 500 in the world in anything. But, in sports, generally, champions take pretty much all the credit. I think no child dreams of being world #30 when they start playing.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

prasen ,is this the 1st time you're taking classes for a 10 yr old? why are you demoting yourself? Time will speak about the greatness of Lee apart from history .
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

No Dinesh. We are not talking about Lee's greatness here. Kindly follow the posts before you comment. And Prasen uncle has been taking my classes for quite sometime now. So guess, he is already ''demoted''.

And Prasen uncle, Sania's highest singles ranking was 27 and ''not close to 30''. I thought you would at least know that! If you wana talk ''logically'' please get the basic facts right 1st. And before anyone else jumps on me saying this is against Lee and in ''blind faith'' on Sania, I would like to say- good night! LOL
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

27 is not close to 30 (when talking about rankings)?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

prasen9 wrote:27 is not close to 30 (when talking about rankings)?
Yes, it is to most. However, a hypothetical 10 year old mind (mental age just to be clear and often bearing no relation to their physical age) may not consider it so especially when they are arguing for arguments sake. :D Typical behavior is then to start abusing and threaten to go home to their figurative mommy. :D
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

Forget about the playing ability for a sec here...she keeps saying she will play with anyone, national pride, attacks Lee for not playing with anyone...and yet ironically keeps saying she should play with Mahesh. Which is it? You can't attack India's best tennis player for having some reservations about World # 300 and in the same sentence also express such great sadness at being paired with World #7 over world #14. Reeks of double standard, notwithstanding some feminist arguement that I'm sure is the basis for this.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Just to clarify. Obviously, Sania is not mediocre when we are talking about all tennis professionals. My context was champions and the elite tennis players. She is mediocre among the top echelon. Mediocre among the Olympians and to-be Olympians. That is the class we are comparing to here. That is what most fans care about. Nobody cares about #420! By mediocre, I meant, not a world-great. Sania used to be very good, but not a world-great. Currently, she is merely good if we take all tennis players, imho.
rajorshi

Post by rajorshi »

arjun2761 wrote:
prasen9 wrote:27 is not close to 30 (when talking about rankings)?
Yes, it is to most. However, a hypothetical 10 year old mind (mental age just to be clear and often bearing no relation to their physical age) may not consider it so especially when they are arguing for arguments sake. :D Typical behavior is then to start abusing and threaten to go home to their figurative mommy. :D
when people can't argue logically, they usually make these kind of comments. A new low for this forum. Shows your class.
bujilover

Post by bujilover »

rajorshi wrote: A new low for this forum. Shows your class.
rajorshi,Why are you always generalizing your comments? If a discussion is happening between a group of 3 to 4 people,you dont have to prick upon the forum.
SaniaFan2

Post by SaniaFan2 »

if anybody says sania is a mediocre kind of a player, i would have no choice but to laugh at that person :P
no mediocre player can win 2 grand slams and reach top 30 and please guys lets respect each other views :)