2008 Campbell's HoF ATP, Newport, July 7-13 (Prakash runner-up!)

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

usaindian
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Campbell's HoF championship 2008,Newport,RI,July 7-13th: Amritraj in final!

Post by usaindian »

RB/AQ match started  and they lead 1-0 in first set
up 3-2
Last edited by usaindian on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKBasu

Re: ATP Campbell's HoF championship 2008,Newport,RI,July 7-13th: Amritraj in final!

Post by PKBasu »

The doubles final not going so well for our pair, against hard-serving Isner and Fish. Rohan/Aisam lost the first 4-6, and are up 4-3 in the second set with the opponents now serving (ie, it is still on serve in the second set).

Our pair just missed a chance to break in the seventh game, and it is deuce now (after being 15-30 and 30-40) on the opponents' serve.
And it's 4-4 now in the second set. 30-0 in the 9th game. Our team is having little trouble holding serve (they hold at love)...5-4.
Last edited by PKBasu on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sad that Prakash could not figure out the veteran Magician, who really is a wily old fox -- and a genuine grass court master without necessarily having all the traditional tools to dominate on the surface. He was of course the holder here, underlining just how tough a campaigner he is on grass, and specifically so in Newport. Terrific effort by Prakash in Newport this week, and I hope he capitalizes on this through the next 12 months -- culminating in a good run at Wimbledon next year.

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Onto a tie-breaker in the second set of the doubles final. Our pair are down a mini-break, serving at 1-3.

Uh-oh! Not going well. Down 2 mini-breaks, and it is 5-1 now after Isner aces a second serve  :damn:

R Bopanna / A Qureshi l. M Fish / J Isner 4-6, 6-7 (1)  :(
Last edited by PKBasu on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insider

Re: ATP Campbell's HoF championship 2008,Newport,RI,July 7-13th: Amritraj in fin

Post by Insider »

Tough loss for our pair.  Our guys had four opportunities to break in the second set, including a set point at 6-5.  But they also showed their mettle by coming back from 15-40 down on Qureshi's serve.  All in all, a good showing by the Indo-Pak Express.

suresh

Re: ATP Campbell's HoF championship 2008,Newport,RI,July 7-13th: Amritraj in fin

Post by suresh »

Tough day in the office for our guys but they leave with their heads held high. The key is to sustain this form through the next couple of weeks. Santoro as PKB correctly pointed out does not seem to have the tools to compete on grass (for that matter any surface) but wins a lot because he is a good tennis player with the ability to adjust his game to the surface/opponent. I hope Kash picked up some tips from playing him.

Thank you Kash and Rohan for an enjoyable week.

Suresh

nballa

Post by nballa »

Rajiv wrote: thanks to rohan and prakash this tourney has trully captured our imagination , 17 pages of quality discussion and still growing  almost the size of wimby pages
and here i come.
so whats the next tournament this guy is playin in?

gigado

Post by gigado »

I watched the finals today. I felt that Prakash went for too much on his returns against Fabrice. At crucial stages in the match, it would have been sufficient to make Fabrice play. Also, on the return games, Prakash consistently got behind, all Fabrice had to do is to get the first serve in at moderate pace. All match long Prakash didnt make the adjustment on the body serve. Fabrice, in the second set won 100% of the first serve points and he was serving 70+%. Fabrice's serves are good, but not that good. FS' placement, court craft, shot selection and temparament are some thing else and Prakash will do well to learn from the magician on how to optimize one's skills and consistently execute.

Great run by Prakash this week. Hope he is not content just with this performance and can perform consistently rest of the season and beyond.

Is he going to be in Aptos next week?. I may be able to catch a match or two towards the end of the week.

gvhvhg

Post by gvhvhg »

What a weekend!

Just got back from Newport about an hour ago. Where shall I start? An Indian male in an ATP final? Did I really just see that? I don't think its really sunk in.

So I went up with my family, and we got so lost in Rhode Island that we barely made it in time!!! We made it during the warmup! Prakash had gotten us 75$ courtside seats, although they were at a weird angle that with the sun glistening down, made it difficult to see the lines! However after Prakash won the first set, superstition told me not to move seats! Once he lost the second though, I moved forward right behind the clock/ballboys where I felt more comfortable being vocal. It must have worked :wink:.

Alot of you 'oldtimers' :devil: must know all about this style of tennis--this is what wimbledon must have been like 30 years ago. There are no rallies at newport. It's totally attacking tennis. When serving its serve and volley of course. But even on the return game, you have to hit a powerful return and come in. If a baseline exchange starts, you have to go for a winner, or create an opportunity to come in. Needless to say, this place is perfect for Prakash's game. The biggest difference I saw between now and Forest Hills three years ago was the return. He was reading Dancevic's serve incredibly well and hitting some sizzling returns. How the first set even went to a tiebreak I dont know--P$ had so many break point opportunities. But Dancevic played these points well---as he did on Prakash's first six match points, when the canadian was serving at 2-5 in the third! But Prakash held his nerve and played a great tiebreaker, really pumping himself up all along the way. I thought Dancevic's attitude was a little weird actually--almost like he didnt really care all that much.

In the second set Kash actually came out firing IIRC. I thought he was going to wrap it up quickly and get the early break. He must have had some chances in FD's first service game of the second set, but not cashed in...and then all of a sudden a loose service game and HE was down the break. That was the difference really in that set. But in the third again he kept up his intensity, got that break, and didnt let go. In fact he had six match points (as I mentioned earlier) on Dancevic's serve. However, in that game Kash hit two memorable shots, that ill probably not forget for a long time. One was a forehand cross court acutely angled winner that he took out of the air, that landed on the line. The other was this sick one-handed backhand (I really dont know why he ripped it with one hand!) cross court passing shot.He may have blown two of those match points on long returns but other than that it was just clutch serving from FD. But Kash didnt let it rattle him and served it out.

Now as you guys know I consider myself to be friends with Kash. However, I assumed Papa Amritraj would be a whole different kettle of fish. But I was pleasantly suprised--which just proves how down to earth Prakash is...when I introduced myself to Mr. Amritraj he was like "Oh YOURE Ashish!" as if Prakash had told him all about us! Similarly this afternoon when I was telling the former #16 player in the world about our exploits finding a hotel room--he told me that Kash kept saying to him last night, "I hope they find a hotel!" And yeah its true....Kash was genuinley thrilled we were staying for the final. He called me from the locker room a bit after the semi to tell me hed be out in a few minutes--assuming we were driving back down to NY. And I was like dude....assuming youre getting us tickets again...we're staying :).

Anyway, as for todays match. Someone was sitting in my seat (not the original weird angle one, but the one near the clock) so superstition was out of my control! So I ditched my parents and I went at sat with Papa Amritraj!!! :devil: :D Apparently, (according to Arun, or amr090) I was on TV everytime they showed Papa! I talked to Vijay a bit before the match started....the topics: Prakash's elbow (which he has grazed badly several times diving this week,) how Kash was getting out to Aptos, the grass here versus the grass in England...but after the match started I talked to him maybe four times...I think two of which were merely me asking if I was obstucting his view!! Obviously I didnt want to be a nuisance! However, I did have the honor of sitting with him, and cheering for Prakash in unison with him! Although I was generally doing it in English while Vijay kept on breaking out into Tamil "ugugdugula" "itakakkgakla" and what not :devil: I do fear I may have jinxed things though because after the first return game I said to Papa Amritraj--'hes returning well..."....the returns were sub par after that :oops: :tomato: :damn:

As for the match...There wasn't much of one if you ask me. I mean--Prakash came out firing in that first game, breaking Santoro with some excellent returns, just like yesterday. Naturally then at that point I had visions of our first titlist in ten years. However after then he MUST have gotten nervous...dropping 4 games, 2 service ones in there. And then really after that first game, I dont think Kash EVER got two consecutive returns in. Santoro didnt really do anything special. Atleast 2-3 of Santoro's service games were literally Prakash just hitting four returns long. Which needless to say, was a little pathetic. But as his dad said to me afterwards, when youre playing a guy like Santoro, you start trying to do too much on the returns. There were a few good points where you could see Santoro's craftiness, and Prakash even looked over at us at one point and said "this guy is getting annoying." However, there were probably less than ten of those points over the course of the match and really it was just a sub-par performance from Kash. Other than the games he got broken in, like yesterday, he served (and volleyed) superbly.

Now as GREAT as this run was--I am going to throw some (what some may see as negativity) but I merely see as factual information into the discussion :devil:. I think everyone should realize that a) This is the ATP tournament that suits Prakash's game best---and that unfortunately, there isnt another like it! and b) The field was weak...and Kash's draw even weaker! There was nobody he played (other than Santoro) who is consistently an ATP level player...i.e. they all play some, if not a majority of challengers. THAT BEING SAID. I AM NOT TRYING TO UNDERMINE KASH'S PERFORMANCE. HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY. I just don't know that he'd have been able to do this with a stronger field at a hard court ATP tournament. However--I can only hope that that chapter of his career is still to come :)

Speaking of which, unfortunately he had entered at Aptos, otherwise he could have gotten an SE spot at the Indianapolis ATP tournament. Indy is also shockingly week this year---Aisam made the main draw at 169! However its off to Aptos...which must be an awfully strange feeling. To go from an ATP grass final to a hard court challenger, as an unseeded player, drawing the #1 seed in the first round!!! I wouldnt be shocked if he goes out in the first round.

Other things to note? I think Vijay Amritraj is quite possibly the most famous person in Newport, R.I.!!! :rofl: He strolls around waving to people like the queen of england! And the people love him! Even making the final isn't enough for Prakash, at a place like Newport, to gain his own identity. It was still--Vijay's son in the final. Not Prakash. Prakash deals with it well though. Very well.

Before he changed his flight depature location from NYC to Boston, we were going to drive PA down to NY with us! But he changed it, which is probably for the better. But it was great catching up with him, and having my parents come too, whom he always asks about when I speak to him. After Aptos he hasnt decided whether to stay in the states for the LA ATP (and one other...slipping my mind right now) or to go to India for the challengers. I think he should go to India (unless he can get a WC at LA.) But otherwise Ill try and convince him to go to India---what do you guys think?

As for Rohan-Qureshi...tough loss today...But they looked good. And they've got great chemistry/camraderie. Obviously by going to Indy instead of Aptos, its clear that Rohans singles career is now taking the back seat. Im not saying I disagree with this decision--but its kind of funny to do that when youve just reached an ATP QF eh? Anyway, Im going to pass out now...more later if I remember things that I left out.
Last edited by gvhvhg on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

nice report gvgh, and good to get some inside info , you are one lucky guy

BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

gvhvhg wrote:
Now as GREAT as this run was--I am going to throw some (what some may see as negativity) but I merely see as factual information into the discussion :devil:. I think everyone should realize that a) This is the ATP tournament that suits Prakash's game best---and that unfortunately, there isnt another like it! and b) The field was weak...and Kash's draw even weaker! There was nobody he played (other than Santoro) who is consistently an ATP level player...i.e. they all play some, if not a majority of challengers. THAT BEING SAID. I AM NOT TRYING TO UNDERMINE KASH'S PERFORMANCE. HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY. I just don't know that he'd have been able to do this with a stronger field at a hard court ATP tournament. However--I can only hope that that chapter of his career is still to come :)
Thanks for the excellent first hand report.  It must have been an honor to sit next to Vijay Amritraj and shout encouraging words to Prakash in unison. 

Your above quoted comments are well taken.  The key comment was "HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY."  How many times have the Indian players missed taking advantage of weak fields at tournaments held in India!!!  The grass courts suited Prakash's game and he was the better player than the other players except for the winner of the tournament. 

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Superbly written first hand report ... Ashish great work ... :notworthy:

Ashish, u r damn lucky to get chance of sitting with Amritraj Sr and also getting chance of chatting with him.

Jaydeep

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Ashish for the excellent report & you are a lucky guy to be sitting next to great Vijay Amritraj.

I agree with your comments that we should not heighten our expectation on Prakash based on this just one tournament about him having top 100 potential & all. He has to show that he can do this type of runs on hard courts ( on which most of the tennis season is played on apart from clay which Prakash never plays) at challanger levels to start with . Perhaps, he will do so soon .
After Aptos he hasnt decided whether to stay in the states for the LA ATP (and one other...slipping my mind right now) or to go to India for the challengers. I think he should go to India (unless he can get a WC at LA.) But otherwise Ill try and convince him to go to India---what do you guys think?

Going to Delhi for challangers seems a safer option . If he can make a big run at those challangers (where field may not be great) he will earn a whole lot of points which can put him into top 175 or so immediately which will be usefull to enter higher level tournaments later. LA / Washington ATP is a high risk option . Who knows he may have similar kind of run like this week in one of those tournaments or it may not yield anything.

At the same time, he will also to consider the fact he has to return immediately after second Delhi challanger & play in US open qualifying & there will be long travel involved.  He also has the third option of playing in Bighampton/ Bronx challangers ( which I suppose are closer to New york where USO Q are held) if he is making the main draw there.

Difficult to make a definative decision. Any other opinions on this ?

gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Hey Ashish, great report man!! I really envy you!!  I would have really made the trip to Newport again (I was there the prior week).  There was a crisis at work (past few days) and it needed to be taken care of.  Damn, I even missed going up to watch Somdev (just an hour away from where I am).  I had such a easy time at work these past few months and I am so dejected that everything had to come apart this past week.  Anyways, hopefully we'll get to meet up at another *ATP tourney* soon!!  I am counting on these two guys again!!

PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Thanks, Ashish, for the excellent match-report and other nuggets. Vijay is such a wonderfully engaging personality, isn't he?

I disagree, however, with your comments about the quality of the opposition. The Newport field contained some of the world's finest grass-courters: had there been separate grass-court rankings, all the players Prakash beat (Sirianni, Levine, Bopanna, Dancevic) would have been ranked in the top-100 (some perhaps in the top-50) for the surface. Dancevic won the Surbiton Challenger, and at #83 has clearly "graduated" from the Challenger to the ATP-tour level (especially after beating Nalbandian at Wimbledon). That Prakash Amritraj came through such a field is a huge credit to him.

Of course, we cannot extrapolate from this that he is about to break through to top-100 or even top-150. But the climb up the ATP ladder is based on capitalizing on each opportunity, especially on surfaces and in venues where you have an advantage. A lot will depend now on how well PA leverages on the points he has earned at Newport. Playing the India Challengers, and attempting to dominate them, will be the logical progression.