US$600,000 WTA Bangalore Open, March 3rd-9th 2008

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: US$600,000 WTA Bangalore Open, March 3rd-9th 2008

Post by jayakris »

I was about to quote that "Paes criticizes Sania" article.  Thanks Jaydeep.

There goes Leander again.  Just keep your mouth shut and stay away from it Leander.   We all remember your playing in Doha the same week as Chennai.   And we do remember the newspaper articles that talked about the reason as disagreement over appearance money for you!

Now, if you are not talking appearance money and are commenting on Sania's stated reason for not playing Bangalore, you had a duty to support the lady who has gone througha  lot of crap in India.   Don't act like she is any less patriotic than you.  Because some of us know that she is not.

Holy crap; the more we look for some reason to support Leander, the more gems he comes up with, causing some of us to call his bluff.  Enough Leander.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puneets
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by puneets »

Jay - If for a moment I forget that LP said those words, then they seem perfectly okay to me.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Sure puneet.  The comments from LP by themselves were nothing offensive. When he says it however, there is so much of "holier than thou" in it, that it elicits a response from some of us who have observed him too (and have supported him and held back criticizing him on similar occasions in the past - does anybody remember the 1998 Davis Cup in Italy?) ..

Well, Sania is one lady who has stood up to Leander and called his bluff in private on occasions (not in the press).   I suspect Lee has not digested that well.  She is one he knows has taken the limelight away from him, and he is using a chance to go after her.  Or, at least it looks like that.  He should have stayed away from this.

[I know, I am more openly and personally criticizing Leander than I have in the past, except on one occasion when HM was unjustifiably dropped from the DC team when he was the India #1.   Well, LP continues to ask for it, from us]

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kothai

Post by Kothai »

All Sania needs is a very intelligent and smart PR manager who knows how to work the press to Sania's advantage

Kothai
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Lee - "Look at every celebrity; who does not have controversies? We all have adversities. Every celebrity has adversities in their lives. It's how dignified and honest you are. It's about how you project yourself and how you handle them."
In case any one was wondering, Lee himself has confirmed that he is a celebrity.  And in case you missed it, he helping you understand how dignified and honest he is.
"I do not want to get into it. I am not bothered, but the greatest joy for any athlete is to play for the country and in the country and play for the people."
And of course he did not want to get into it, he needed to get into it.
"Nobody is greater than the game. That's something Sania has to be careful about it."
Of course not, but some people are greater than others, I suppose.
10nis_ace

Post by 10nis_ace »

I'm LOL on your comments, Jai.

Now I know why India is a country where day style soaps are such a hit in prime time. India must be the only country where prime time TV is dominated by mushy soaps. We can never get tired of drama... and this issue is getting more amusing day by day.

I liked Vishal Uppal's comments the best -
Vishal Uppal - "She said she has done it to avoid controversies, but I think she has created another controversy by opting out."
  :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Leander Paes, most of us joined Tennis-India.org to celebrate your emergence. But your mouth keeps letting you down. When will you ever grow up?

Such utter sanctimonious nonsense. For Leander, nobody exists but himself -- and he knows how to play the Indian media to the hilt.

I fully understand the reasons behind Sania's decision. But she (or her spokesmen) need to be more explicit about some of the specific things (PILs, etc.) that have caused her to be fed up. Otherwise, she has opened the door to endless innuendo -- plus the sanctimony of people like Leander. The latter should realise that as a tennis player, someone who briefly made it to #71 in the world has no business commenting on a player who has been in the top-30 in the same sport for at least 10-12 months. And Vishal Uppal, I notice, has started a sports-marketing company (launched yesterday), but he never made it even to the top-400 in the world so it is a bit absurd to hear his comments (which, of course, give him some free publicity when he needs it).

But Sania probably didn't bargain for this news making it to the front pages of several of our leading newspapers (it was the biggest front-page story in the Telegraph of Kolkata!). This has raised the stakes. She should either turn completely away from it, or find a way for both sides (Bangalore Open organisers, and her team) to save face and make up. 
nballa

Post by nballa »

sania mirza has none to blame except herself
for years this girl has used her fame and immense popularity as leverage to commit brazen
acts of disrespect to the nation, her religion and now the sport of tennis by putting herself
above the game. Be it opening her annoying mouth over sensitive issues like pre-martial sex
or walking inside the premises of a mosque with her uncovered head and shoes or hanging her
legs to dry in front of the national flag and blaming it all on the over-reaction of the
indian public.

with over four years of international tennis and only one tier IV tournament win to show for,
her underachieving self should quit international tennis, not just skip tournaments. her time
is up folks.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

her time
is up folks.
yah nballa wait till she hits u on ur face.

I support sania's decision if it is to avoid controversies. Leander grow up.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

nballa wrote: sania mirza has none to blame except herself  ... her time is up folks.
I'm sure she loves you too, nballa!  :D  Sorry, I forgot she doesn't know you exist. 

Still, without sounding as disgruntled as you, I agree that Sania and her counselors have to own some responsibility in all this.  And so do her "fans" and the media.  When somebody is put on a pedestal, guess what happens.

With regards to her time being up.... I think she has some kick left in her, she will likely learn from all this and adjust the way she manages her time, her public profile, her training, off court commitments, tournament schedule etc.  It is a tough balancing act with no preceding model to leverage.
tennisfan04

Post by tennisfan04 »

I agree with leander….sania has just over reacted too much and is bringing more shame to India by this decision rather than being indias pride….considering that even the foreign media is covering it….its quite a stupid decision when she is making appearances in commercials and other promotional
if the fed cup or asian games or Olympics was in india would she still be without playing???
And as far as prize money goes if the kslta agreed to give the appearance money to serena or venus and not sania it was a  good decision….sania may be big in india but come on serena and venus have 14 grand slam singles titles between them and are much bigger stars…..leander and Mahesh haven’t really played in chennai past 3 yrs but that hasn’t really affected the ticket sales there…..they have only increased and they weren’t really missed there…..if bangalore ppl really love tennis im sure they will love to see the Williams sisters in action even if sania is not there…….
I think the media is unnecessarily making a big deal out of this…..even without sania I think the event will b great if all the players turn up….esp if it’s a venus-serena final it would b great….which other event other than the slams can boast of having an all Williams final???
I agree with nballa sania just talks too much…
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

nballa, is that u? or should i say welcome tennisfan04? :D
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Cool, now Sania answered ...

Sania defends 'no show' decision
Sania - "This is the first time in my career, when I have not entered an international tournament being played in India for genuine personal reasons. I do not think I'm in the right frame of mind right now to do justice to myself or my abilities."

"If I was to play in this state, I believe I will be letting my fans down."

"I don't think that all sportspersons have faced the kind of situation that I have, particularly in the last two months.

"Why nobody made an issue when two of our greatest tennis players, Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes, chose to skip the ATP event in Chennai?" she asked. :devil:

"The millions of genuine fans all over the country follow me through television, irrespective of whether I'm playing in India or anywhere else in the world. Not more than 6000 to 7000 spectators can get to enter the stadium to watch the match live and it is unfortunate that they will miss out on this opportunity."

"We also probably need to take a look at the lack of restraint with which certain sections of our media tend to highlight petty issues relating to me, which are bound to encourage mischievous elements because of the massive publicity that they generate. If two people out of a billion file a case on me, the whole world hears about it and it is wrongly projected to be a mass reaction against me."

"But I have reiterated several times that I will always be available to do duty for my country whenever and wherever I'm selected to represent India."
Kothai

Post by Kothai »

:Offtopic:
I am wondering why film actresses like Mumtaj (Tamil Movie actress) weren't given fatwa..  :wink: what abt Kushboo ?? :wink:
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Still, without sounding as disgruntled as you, I agree that Sania and her counselors have to own some responsibility in all this.

Guess who her main counseler is now.  Apparently, there has also been a fall out between this counselers marketing organization and the organizers of the B'lore open.  So this could well be commercial dispute hidden under all the smoke.

BTW, the sanctimonious ones here criticize a former number 73 right to criticize an number 29, please note that the number 6,000,000 types (and that if they are over ranked :D) who haunt this forum have no problem criticizing the number 73.   Of course, I understand that most of the world does not care about what is said here but the double standards are the same....

PS -- I am a huge fan of Sania who is a real traiblazer and achiever (and someone who does not disgrace India by being called India no. 1) and believe that she is being villified unnecessarily and deserves all our sympathies.  It is her counseler's role that I more concerned about...
Last edited by arjun2761 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.