California Challengers, October 2005

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

Well, I don't have the heart to write a match report today, but I will try anyway. While it was quite a disappointing loss to a solid player who seems to be on a roll, it was disheartening to see how the match was lost. The way Harsh played, barring the last game of each set, he deserved to get to a tie-breaker in both. Had he got there, the match could have gone either way. He also had a terrible call while receiving serve at 5-5 (Duece). If only he had broken Bozo in that game and served for the first set....well, too late now. Here's a brief summary of the match....

I missed the first 3 games of the opening set and the score was 1-2 by the time I reached there.

1st Set (5-7)

Game# 4: HM held easily at Love with 3 service winners and a deft volley. (2-2)

Game# 5: LB held at 15 with 2 aces. HM got the only point with a beautiful deep forehad return into the corner of the deuce court.(2-3)

Game# 6: This game saw 2 dueces, no BPs though, and on the second deuce, HM came up with two big serves to finish it in style. He approached the net thrice in this game and won each of those points with ease. (3-3)

Game# 7: 4 service winners and LB held at love. (3-4)

Game# 8: HM held at 15, losing the only point of the game to a double fault. (4-4)

Game# 9: LB held easily at 15. (4-5)

Game# 10: Got to deuce, but with a double fault and managing only to put 50% of the first serves in, HM took good control of most of the points by bringing forth his volleying skills to display on pretty much every point to defend his service game. (5-5)

Game# 11: In the third point of this game, at 15-all, Harsh's court coverage was just unbelievable. His movement, so rich with its aesthetic traits, is a treat to watch. But unfortunately, Bozo hit a big forehand winner for 30-15. HM managed to draw even and got to deuce. A terrible, terrible line call costed him the next point and instead of looking to convert a break point, he was forced to get on defensive and eventually lost the next point and the game. (5-6)

Game# 12: Whether it's the pressure of serving second and defending his serve all the time, or the affect of one bad call at the crucial moment of the previous game....HM didn't look quite the same. He appeared nervous and tentative and opened the game with a double fault. At deuce, he hit a forehad very high into Bozo's comfort zone and Bozo obliged it with a big forehand winner. HM double faulted again to gift the set to LB. (5-7)

2nd Set (4-6)

Game# 1: With 3 aces and a service winner, LB held easily at 15. (0-1)

Game# 2: HM held at 30. (1-1)

Game# 3: LB held at love. (1-2)

Game# 4: HM held at love. (2-2)

Game# 5: BZ held at love. (2-3)

Game# 6: HM held at love. (3-3)

Game# 7: LB held at 15. (3-4)

Game# 8: HM held at love. (4-4)

Game# 9: Noticed the pattern so far in this set? Both the players were holding their serve with ease, although LB was the one getting a lot of free points in the form of Aces with his big serve. He started this game with an UFE and followed it with a double fault (0-30). Then came the suspicious looking ace (15-30). I was very close to the court and could see that it was a bit wide. I was hoping that Harsh would at least dispute the call, but he proceeded to receive the next serve although I could tell, from the way he looked at the spot the ball landed, that he didn't like the call. LB hit a winner on the next point to make the scores even (30-30). HM played the next point with a lot of aggression and approached the net only to see LB hit a great passing shot (40-30). Next point was a 12 point rally, which ended up in Harsh's favour when LB hit an HM's power packed forehand into the net (Deuce). An ace from LB followed by an UFE from HM ended the game in LB's favour. (4-5)

Game# 10: A double fault and two UFEs saw HM staring down the barrel to save 3 match points (0-40). He saved the first with an awesome volley (15-40) and fought tooth and nail for the next point, but it was too late. (4-6)

Here are some statistics:

1st Set (*** Statistics not included for the first 3 games of this set, 2 of which were won by LB).
Total points: 59
Total points won-lost: 28-31
Total points won while serving : 23/37 --> 62.16%
First Serve: 19/37 --> 51.35%
Points won on First serve: 16/19 --> 84.21%
Points won on Second serve: 7/13 --> 53.84%
Total points won on LB's serve : 5/22 --> 22.72%
Points won on LB's first serve : 4/17 --> 23.52%
Points won on LB's second serve : 1/5 --> 20%
Net points won: 10/13 --> 76.92%
Aces (HM) : 0
Double Faults (HM): 5
Aces (LB) : 2
Double Faults (LB) : 0

2nd Set
Total points: 49
Total points won-lost: 22-27
Total points won while serving : 17/23 --> 73.91%
First Serve: 19/37 --> 14/23 --> 60.86%
Points won on First serve: 10/14 --> 71.42%
Points won on Second serve: 7/7 --> 100%
Total points won on LB's serve : 5/26 --> 19.23%
Points won on LB's first serve : 4/20 --> 20%
Points won on LB's second serve : 0/5 --> 0%
Net points won: 5/6 --> 83.33%
Aces (HM) : 1
Double Faults (HM): 2
Aces (LB) : 8
Double Faults (LB) : 1

Barring the last two service games of each set, HM played a very good match. Not only has he developed a very good second serve, which bailed him out of trouble on more than one occasion today, he also improved a lot on his volleying skills. He approached the net very judiciously and ended up winning majority of those points. He won 22 points and lost 27 in the second set. In my opinion, the only difference here is the number of aces....LB's 8 to HM's 1. Having constantly being under the pressure of defending also got him today, which resulted in him getting broken in the crucial games. But again, that's not an execuse and he will have to get used to such occasions and not let the nerves creep in, to let him down at crunch.

Good luck in Boston, Harsh !!! You are heading in the right direction. Keep your chin up and keep fighting. Tennis India is cheering for you and wishes you success all along.

- Varma
Last edited by Varma on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

His movement, so rich with its aesthetic traits, is a treat to watch.
:clap: asusual a terrific match report Varma.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful match report, Varma. Thanks.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Man, what a match report ..

The comments match very well to what Harshul and Harsh said. Bozo just would not give him anything to start a rally or something (most points were just 5 or 6 shots at best) an Bozo was just too difficult to pin back. Having not won much on his serve, HM ended up being under pressure in the final games, and the double faults at crucial points killed him. HM did get a little tight in both sets at the end, unlike yesterday though. Hm had very good success at the net however.

Jay
kiran r more

Post by kiran r more »

Bad luck Harsh but a brilliant report.Best of luck to you harsh for nest challengers.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Great report Varma, man you a good!!! The stats give a good idea of how close the match really was!!

1st set:
Total points won-lost: 28-31

2nd Set
Total points won-lost: 22-27
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Harsh needs to add a bit more accuracy to his service. Probably hasn't had enough time with the new racket to feel comfortable about some of his serve variety items - like the one out wide etc (I rememebr him hitting great ones during Aptos in 2004 summer - but did not see much of that lately). This is something he will work on during the break after the next three weeks. Needs to hit hundreds of serves. Some of the double faults probably happened on going for too much rather than trying a bit more variety. He can win points once the serve goes in properly, wherever, and he did that yesterday. But at crunch times under pressure, you look for a bit of extra and end up with double faults. On Tuesday it worked - yesterday it did not.

But the bottom line is also that Harsh still has a lot of work to do on the power/muscles area. Some of his shots, especially the volleys, etc, will get a lot more punch with that. On his ground strokes, both FH and BH, he has plenty of pace from timing and technique - and that may not need much work. It is on the other varuety items where some of these power issues would win him 2 or 3 points extra. That is all you need in these kinds of matches. Another thing is that he needs to make sure that he plays with his highest intensity on EVERY point. Sometimes he has a tendency to lose his intensity, perhaps thinking some strategy in his mind or something for a split-second, and hit a softer shot or a loopy forehand (clearly an unforced error) -- I am sure that is exactly what happened at deuce at 5-6 in the first set when he hit something to LB's comfort zone (as Varma mentions above). When he is "in a zone", he does not hit those shots.

The best way to get into a zone and stay in the zone is to trust your body and just go for it constantly - the adrenaline constantly pumping. The more physical work you put in, the more chance you have to stay in the zone. For a player without good instincts, this won't work. For HM, he needs to get into a zone and play on instinct at crunch times. The Nadal-type intensity all the time.

By the way, HM will be working with a really good trainer at the center down here which is Lindsey Davenport's base in Lake Forest, near where I live. A good tennis-specific trainer from there was at Carson watching Harsh yesterday too. They have started chalking out a training plan. Unlike last year when he was with general athletic trainers who only worked on general items and did not have a clear plan for him to use during the year on tour, now he will be much more on the ball next year with strict work-out and monitoring regimes during the tour to keep his strength levels going (and improving) through the year.

Though he is a smooth mover on court with great anticipation, the trainers also have identified some first step quickness issues etc to work on and to add a tad bit more speed. More work on core stability etc too. It is dead-serious business now. Stuff that would have been done years back if we have any proper clue on things in India, still needs to be done.

I am pretty sure that if all goes well with that and HM puts in some more hard work, he will be in the 125-175 range in even 5-6 months time. Then who knows what happens!

Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

It is hard to do, isn't it? I think improving physical fitness will also raise Harsh's mental consistent-intensity. Good to hear that Harsh has been set up for some tennis-specific fitness training. Jay, does the credit go to you for organizing this?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No, I had nothing to do with this. Harsh's coach Harshul Patel identified the people he can work with. My location helped, as HM has a place to stay! Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Terrific detailed match report ... Varma great job.

Jay thanks for ur inputs about Harsh's training schedule ... Nice to see Harshul Patel properly chalk out plan for Harsh for next two months ... Last year we experianced that how general physical training changed Harsh's game and confidence ... So definetly this time also Harsh will benefited from it and moreover this time his training is more game specific ... Jay please continue giving update on that.

Jaydeep.
Harsh

tennis

Post by Harsh »

I wanted to thank Jay and Mr. Varma for coming and cheering me on and for the match reports. I had a tough start in the 1st rd but came back with one of my best comebacks. I wasn't hitting the ball great or feeling comfortable, but I had to fight and believe that I could change things around, and that's what happened. It was definitely one of my best matches.

In the 2nd rd my return of serve let me down a bit and I was not able to make Bozolac play as much as I would have liked on his serve. A mental error at 5-6 in the 1st set cost me the set. I will need to address that. In the 2nd set I had my chance to break him at 4-4 and failed to do so. He hit some good returns and played a solid game at 4-5 to break me and win the match.

I am in Boston now and preparing myself for qualies which starts tommorow. There is a chance I might make the main draw, which will be nice. We will have to wait and see.

Jay mentioned about the training, and yes we have set up a training schedule in southern california with Lindsay Davenport's trainers. I will be training at their facility for 3 weeks in December in preparation for the Chennai Open and the Australian Open qualifying. We have made a request for a wc at Chennia and are waiting for a reply from the tournament organizers.

Harsh
dmehra

Post by dmehra »

Hey Harsh,

Nice to hear from you. I am sure such matches will only make you a better player. Keep up the good work.

All the best for Boston (hopefully u will make the main draw w/o the qualies). I hope things worked out for you there and am sorry couldnt be of much help.

Dushyant
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Thanks for the update, Harsh. Chennai should absolutely give u a wild card - nobody deserves it more than you do. Good luck in Boston, the training, and the Chennai wc.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

I think Harsh has a solid chance at the qualies in AO this year...hopefully he can make it in and be 1st indian male since Leander Paes in the singles of a slam