Australian Open Thread

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Australian Open Thread

Post by PKBasu »

The NYT/IHT calls the boisterous throngs of Aussies supporting Hewitt in Melbourne "obnoxious". My sentiments exactly...(although the NYT probably only noticed this clearly on the day when Lleyton was playing a prominent American).
PKBasu

Australian Open Thread

Post by PKBasu »

Congratulations to Black/Ullyett for winning the AO men's doubles title, 64 64 over the Bryan twins. Their only previous Slam title was in 2001, so there may still be time for the Indian Express to reunite (before next year) and start rebuilding their great career together.
Nate

Australian Open Thread

Post by Nate »

The NYT/IHT calls the boisterous throngs of Aussies supporting Hewitt in Melbourne "obnoxious".
Hewitt brings the rowdy aussies to the stands something the class of Rafter could not do. My take is either Safin (will come out firing, play his best game and dominate) in 3 or Hewitt in 5.
Indian

Australian Open Thread

Post by Indian »

Italldependson Safin's mental game. He has more firepower and ability than Hewitt. But, Hewitt is stronger mentally and won't give up easily specially with the crows behind him.
Hewitt in 4 or 5 sets....though I would like Safin to win this one.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

I don't know why so much is looked into crowd. I think it is obvious that when you support someone it gets boisterous. American crowd were so when roddick played. And as hewitt played some of the toughest matches it is understandable that crowd were boisterous.

We did the same thing when sania played in hyderabad. I am not supporting it as I too did it, but I can understand why it happens. Hyderabad crowd were much more boisterous and they shouted at top of their voices even when a rally is going on. For connoisseur of sports it may look bad, but if you think in fans point I think it is understandable. Oh man, if possible all of you watch sania's match this time in TV if at all she plays at hyderarabad. It looks like an absolute cricket stadium.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Australian Open Thread

Post by jaydeep »

Yesterday Serena win AO and showed she still owns this tournament ... Last year becoz of injury she missed but this year she proved that she is queen of Rod Lever Arena ... :) The way she beat Davenport, I don't give Devenport any chances in future winning matches against Serena in Grand Slams ... Lindsey's confidence must be shattered after yesterday's loss ... So much dominant performance by Serena.

Right now Safin is not second in the world, but he has ability to capture that spot ... Safin is truely gifted player, but always under rated and below performance player ... Hopefully this year he will try to change that.

Some stats of 2005 Australian Open before today's Final ...

Safin - Played 22 sets, 81 Aces, 6 Double faults and 269 winners ...
Hewitt - Played 25 sets, 66 Aces, 36 Double faults and 259 winners ...

So statistic favouring Safin, but as we all knows everyday's ball game is diiferent ... So hopefully we will see another cliffhanger today.

Jaydeep.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Safin played a great macth today. He won rather easily against hewitt. Safin looks like he is back tohis good olden days. Yesterday he looked as talented as federer. He played too good. His net play was awesome, especially the drops he played were very good. We can expect some good contests from top 4 this year. 2005 is turning out to be an exciting year.
PKBasu

Australian Open Thread

Post by PKBasu »

Awesome performance by Safin, after he had looked completely out of it in the first 9 games of the match. Just as one felt that this was yet another Safin meltdown replete with unforced errors, Marat brought out his A game -- and there was really no looking back afterwards. Perhaps the best part was Safin's wonderfully humorous victory speech -- this guy has real charisma, apart from being a linguist.
Nate

Australian Open Thread

Post by Nate »

Looks like the aussies are distraught. The Aus Open website hasn't updated Safin's win yet on their home page. It's been more than 5 hours already since the match finished. ATPtennis.com is quick to update their website though.
Nate

Australian Open Thread

Post by Nate »

correction now - the ausopen.com site is now updated just when I posted the earlier item.
gvhvhg

Australian Open Thread

Post by gvhvhg »

Nate....it is all over the website!!! Match reports, intervies etc...its all there

Congrats to Marat...he proved me wrong....Lleyton seemed to fall apart once he got into it with the linesperson....and frankly, once he got into it with the linesperson, i was done cheering for him

Marat was funny as always in the trophy presentation, it was interesting though, that he did not show any emotion whatsover in victory or in receiving the trophy
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Australian Open Thread

Post by Kumar »

Congratulations Safin.. As expected a relatively easy victory (except for the nervous first set)..

Hewitt with his current game will never be able to hold the top 2 position consistently.. Roddick has more upside than Hewitt.. Hewitt is probably playing the best game of his career (even better than when he was no 1).. and What has he got to show? Losses to Eventual finalist in 4 of the last 5 grand slams.. My gut feeling is unless he does something to upgrade his game, he is probably going to regress.

I think Marcos Baghdatis and Nadal are probably the next potential top 5 candidates.... Watch out for Baghdatis to surprise the tennis world in the next two years..
gvhvhg

Australian Open Thread

Post by gvhvhg »

you are forgetting a few other future top 5 candidates....Harsh Mankad, Prakash Amritraj, Karan Rastogi, Somdev Varman and Sunil Kumar Sipaeya and yours truly :wink:
Nate

Australian Open Thread

Post by Nate »

never mind gvhvhg, it might just be my browser.