Hyderabad WTA-Main Draw/results

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, that Hindu article is totally ludicrous. Somebody must have released wrong info to the press. I doubt TNTA would do that. Some little bit of hype to get people to come to events is fine, but this news item takes the cake if somebody tried to use this hype. What IS going on in Chennai? Everyone trying to act like IMG or what?

If either of those ladies play at a $10K ITF, I will positively shave my head. I don't even think you can pay them to play even an exhibition, at such short notice!

Jay
vishnureddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vishnureddy »

I think Maria Kirilenko will be a player to watch out for in the coming years. Hers will be the first match in the centre court today. I watched her first two matches in the outside courts and she played very very well and also she won the US Open 2002 Juniors and her age is just 15. Going to watch the match just for her on the centre court today and ofcourse support her.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Oh Boy, are you correct, sir! .. Indian newspapers and tennis fans have not caught on to the BIGGEST PHENOM playing out there. That is Kirilenko. This girl (a couple of months younger than even Sania) is in the QF with three qualies wins and then an upset of Angie Widjaja.

Those who think lowly of ITF junior ranks, should know - she is #3 in the world, winner of US Open juniors and a whole bunch of other events.

Go Kiri!

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

By the way she is listed as "Ambidextrous" by ITF. Have never seen her play. What, she serves with right hand and hits with the left hand or what? :wink:

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

vishnu - as you will be watching the match today, could you post a quick match report .. also of Manisha's doubles match if you can?

Jay
vishnureddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by vishnureddy »

Well Maria Kirilenko has won.She almost lost though. It was very close in the first set. But Angelique Widjaja broke the serve of Maria when it was 6-5 and won the set. And she was winning easily with 5-3 up and 40-30 on serve. Then started Maria's run and won 4 games on a run. Then she raced to 5-1 lead but after a slight hiccup won it 6-3. The crowd also started supported her after i started it :wink: 8-) . Maria Kirilenko reminds me of Hingis with very few errors but also very few winners and also she builds the points very well. She will be a defnite top - 20 player in the world.

I didn't see much of Malhotra's match as it was taking place in the outside courts. Only saw 4 games and it was 2-2 then.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Well, thats that for the Indian challenge, Mary Pierce/Sania Mirza lost to Elena/Iroda. Not totally unexpected, though things looked promising in the 3rd set with them up 3-0 but then the Rus/Uzb team turned it up a notch or Sania/Mary faded fast for an easy victory.

In the womens side now I am hoping for a Tammy/Iroda final. Lets see what happens though. A tourney full of upsets so far.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Sania/Mary were actually up 4-0 in the final set. It's a pity they lost. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the match and I tihnk Sania played some unbelievable points.