French Open 2018

This is a forum where users can follow various tournaments that have Indian participation or are held in India. GrandSlams and Davis Cup should also be discussed here.

Moderator: Moderators

NeerajC
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: French Open 2018

Post by NeerajC »

PKBasu wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am Google claims it is tomorrow, first up.
Google is showing all R128 matches to start by default tomorrow at the day's start time (11 am or whatever it is) so what you are looking at there isn't accurate

I just looked at the schedule on the app and Yuki isn't on the schedule on day 1.

French open has made a mighty mess of the website. The app is marginally better.
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

PKBasu wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am Google claims it is tomorrow, first up.
Sorry thats embarrassing. Basically, if match is confirmed but schedule not out, it chooses the next day start time for that event.

The issue needs a fix.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Ravishankar Krishnan

Post by Ravishankar Krishnan »

Yen Hsun Lu withdraws. Ruben Bemelmans get in as an LL. So it's Yuki v. Bemelmans now.

May be we can pray for a few more withdrawals and hope that Prajnesh makes it in
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes, so a bit tougher match for Yuki as Ruben Bemelmans played few tournaments on clay ... But clay is not Bemelmans's favorite court.

[R1] Yuki Bhambri (IND,94) vs (LL) Ruben Bemelmans (BEL,111)
Ravishankar Krishnan

Dolgopolov, Nadal's opponent has also withdrawn. Bolleli is on. Prajnesh is 4 out, if I'm not wrong.

Edit: He's two out now, apparently. But he's also signed up for a challenger in Italy next week. I'm not sure how it would work. Can someone help me please?
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jaydeep wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 pm Yes, so a bit tougher match for Yuki as Ruben Bemelmans played few tournaments on clay ... But clay is not Bemelmans's favorite court.

This is significantly harder for Yuki now :mad:
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm
jaydeep wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:52 pm Yes, so a bit tougher match for Yuki as Ruben Bemelmans played few tournaments on clay ... But clay is not Bemelmans's favorite court.

You underestimate how tough it would have been against Lu given he didn't practice on clay.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I was worried that Lu would withdraw. I think he gets to keep 50% of the prize money with this withdrawal, and his replacement gets 50% -- so he will be extra motivated to try and win. This is definitely going to be much harder for Yuki, but not impossible.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yuki has played Ruben Bemelmans once before, in the SF of the Delhi Challenger in 2015, and Yuki won a close match, 7-5 in the third set.

Bemelmans has lost to players ranked 338, 252 and 259 this year on clay. But of course by definition he has far more match practice on the surface than Yuki. Still a great opportunity for Yuki to beat an ageing warrior: Bemelmans is 30 (Yu is 34). Yuki beat him at a time when he was close to his career-high (84), which is not much different from Yuki's recently-achieved career high (83).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I meant "Lu is 34"in the above post :p

Six Lucky Losers so far -- Stakhovskiy, Polansky, Zopp, Otte (#157), Bolleli (#130 who plays Nadal) and Bemelmans. If another slot opens up, the choice will be among Londero (ARG, 172), Safwat (EGY, 182) and Prajnesh (IND, 183).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Agreed. I was almost sure that he would win against Lu. Now, I would put his chances against Bemelmans as 50-50.

6 players pulling out of main draw after qualifying begins is really unjust for those on the borderline of getting into qualies. They missed out on playing qualies and 6 of whom who lost in the qualies get another chance. ITF must do something about this.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

PKBasu wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 am I meant "Lu is 34"in the above post :p

Six Lucky Losers so far -- Stakhovskiy, Polansky, Zopp, Otte (#157), Bolleli (#130 who plays Nadal) and Bemelmans. If another slot opens up, the choice will be among Londero (ARG, 172), Safwat (EGY, 182) and Prajnesh (IND, 183).
I don't think that's how it works.

At this point, it is in the order of rankings. Del Potro might still withdraw so that's one potential spot.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

If they are going just by ranking now (rather than drawing lots among the t+2), then Londero is next, then Safwat (one slot ahead of Prajnesh despite losing the Challenger final to him). Prajnesh is third, so very unlikely to get in now.
Ravishankar Krishnan

Safwat has made it in after Troicki's withdrawal. Prajnesh is supposed to be next in line. Can someone please tell me if him being in the MD of Vicenza Challenger will mean that he will not be considered for an LL slot?