Minor Updates and Picasa Compatible Gallery

Report bugs and errors and enter comments and questions here. Anyone can post in this forum and you do not need to be registered member.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Minor Updates and Picasa Compatible Gallery

Post by Dhruv »

Hi all,

Made some minor version updates to the site and a major update to the gallery functionality.  Now you can add pictures form Picasa to the gallery as well making the whole process much easier hopefully.

How to Add Items from Picasa 2

Step 1: In Picasa, use "Folder/Export as Web Page" or "Actions/Make a Webpage...", chosing XML as format in the dialog box.

Step 2: Zip the contents of the resulting folder so that the .xml-file is in the root directory of the zip-file

Step 3: Point the "Import from Picasa" tab of your Gallery's "Add Items" page to the local path of your zip-file and click on "Add Items"

Anyway, try it out and tell me if it works and if I've introduced any bugs.

Cheers,

Dhruv
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Minor Updates and Picasa Compatible Gallery

Post by BSharma »

Dhruv wrote: Hi all,

Made some minor version updates to the site and a major update to the gallery functionality.  Now you can add pictures form Picasa to the gallery as well making the whole process much easier hopefully.

How to Add Items from Picasa 2
:
:

Anyway, try it out and tell me if it works and if I've introduced any bugs.

Cheers,

Dhruv
I tried to upload the Tulsa Challenger 2007 photos and I failed miserably.  The problem may be at my end for probably not doing the transfer of photos properly.  :oops: Anyways, I created something in the photo album that does not contain any photos.  Dhruv, please delete the folder that I created.  Could someone else try to load the Picasa album for me.  The album's link is in Rajeev Ram's thread.  Thanks.
puneets

Post by puneets »

There is no "add items" link for normal members. i guess at present only moderators see that button.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

There should be an add items for normal members if they've created the album.  If it is some else's album then its only the album creater and moderators than can add items.

Could you verify that is the case.  My test account shows this to be true but then again maybe something that isn't true for everyone.

Thanks

Dhruv
puneets

Post by puneets »

Dhruv - I cannot find the button to create a new gallery.

Another thing....I had created a gallery last year and I still don't see the "add items" button for that specific gallery.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Hmmm,  My test account shows three items on the first page of gallery...

Add Album
Add Items and
View Slideshow

I've reset all permissions and now all registered users should be able to add items and add albums and also add comments so the three above should really be replaced by four with Add Comments being the second last field.  Let me know if that is the case.  My test account shoes that to be the case but maybe my test account has some special priviliges.
puneets

Post by puneets »

For some reason I don't see it in firefox. I tried IE, and saw the buttons.

I get the following error when I use the Picasa option to upload the zip file.

The filetype you entered is not supported. Maybe you did not activate the corresponding toolkit. (E.g. Archive Upload for ZIP files)
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Should work now....
puneets

Post by puneets »

Dhruv - Works like a charm now.
This Picasa feature that you have installed is really great.

Here's the album

Tulsa Challenger 2007
Last edited by puneets on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Did I miss it all the time or the Ads by Google were always there?  Dhruv, is it a requirement to have the ads to support the functioning of this site?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

No.just started fooling around today with ads on the left hand side of the forum.  Tries some on the front page for a week as well and decided against those. I've had the google search engine for a while (~2 years) though which generates some revenue (less than the costs for the site) but the main reason for the google search is exactly that "Search".

The answer to the second question is also No.  The cost of running the site (infrastructure) is small (low three figures ... barely).  I was just fooling around with it to see what the possibilities were in case I wanted a dedicated server where the costs will be high 3 or low 4 figures.  We've discussed revenue streams multiple times within the group (moderators) and we've decided not to go with that model (revenue generating).

Hope that answers the question.  If it bothers, I'll take it off.  Was planning to run a test for a week or so.

Regards,

Dhruv