CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Report bugs and errors and enter comments and questions here. Anyone can post in this forum and you do not need to be registered member.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Sandeep »

Hi dhruv,

We all know how famous sania has become after australian open. On this occassion I would like to upload a photo album of sania in our gallery section. I can assure you that this will be the most comprehensive Sania's photo album on the on internet. I have some 400 odd photos with me. I uploaded quite few before, but you deleted many while you were making some repair to the site. Can you tell me what is the probability that you will delet them again if i upload all 400 photos?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Dhruv »

Well, as long as they are your own photographs and not copied from any other site then it should be fine. The last time I deleted the photos as some copyright concerns were raised to me by some people who owned the actual photographs.

If you know that the photos you have do not have copyright concerns, i.e. are photos you have taken or friends of yours have taken and are willing to have them online by all means go ahead. However, if there are copyright concerns like last time I will delete the photos. I am sorry but I cannot deal with the hassle of litigation.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Dhruv,

I was not talking about the copyright ones you removed. Once you were doing some changes in the site, and you said it takes too space much to back up all these photos. And so you deleted some. That is why I asked. Are photos released by newspapers under copyright law. Can I load photos collected from newspapers.
nkoth
Please enter the middle number: 1

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by nkoth »

Yes, photos in newspapers and magazines are copyright of the photographer who took them.

Only pictures that YOU actually took should be posted in the gallery. You are the copyright holder of those photographs. :)

-neil
Kumar
Authors
Authors

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Kumar »

Neil, can one upload those photos, if we correctly identify who owns the copyright?

Do you think indian newspapers will come after the forum? Just curious!!!
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

hi

Post by Sandeep »

Well neil do you think that, the photographer would copyright the photos. Copyright should be registered. Like how juniortennis.com does on all their photos. I don't think newspaper photos all copyright acts. Dhruv please clarify.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by BSharma »

IMHO, the newspaper people usually copyright their entire edition (on-line or paper). They do not put a copyright symbol on every article or photograph.

We have several forum members who work for the press and they can easily clarify this issue.
PKBasu

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, I think everything published in a newspaper is the copyright of the newspaper, including photographs (unless these are from another source, in which case the 'paper will mention the source).
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Dhruv »

Kumar wrote:Neil, can one upload those photos, if we correctly identify who owns the copyright?

Do you think indian newspapers will come after the forum? Just curious!!!
I will try and explain this issue how I understand it

Newspapers and magazines have the right to the material that they have published. If someone wants to use this material they have to specifically get permission from the newspaper or magazine in question which may give them permission either for a fee or for free. Ofcourse this agreement should be in writing (verbal agreements are well exactly that). I will give you an example -- If material was not copyright in papers what would prevent the HT from publishing photos and news articles from the TOI or vice versa or even worse have a "new newspaper" start up without any journalists and photographers and take all the best articles from the early editions of the various papers in India and have your very own newspaper. All that material is copyright.

The biggest fallacy out there is that "Material is only copyright if it is registered with the proper authorities." In most countries (and I don't want to take the chance) work is copyright from the moment it is created. The law may require you to register the copyright if you want to sue someone but that can be done after the fact. A good reference that I have used when I was reading about copyrights is

http://www.copyright.gov/

That's the US copyright office. I hope that helps.

So once again if any of the material in the galleries is copyright material and is brought to my attention, I will take it down immediately like I have done previously. If anyone is aware of potentially any copyright material in the galleries please let me know.

Thanks
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Hi

Post by Sandeep »

Thank you dhruv for all that you said about copyright. The whole gallery of 121 photos right now in sania's section are from newspapers. And recently Indian added a photo to it and even it is from press. SO if you think they are copyrights and may pose a problem to the site, please go ahead and delete them.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Dhruv »

Ok. I will delete the entire album in 24 hrs.

If there is anyone else who added photos to that album please let me know within the next 24hrs and identify those photos (if any) that may be present that have been taken by you or friends of yours etc. I will be deleting the album as it may have possible copyright issues as discussed above.

24 hrs (give or take a couple of hours)
gvhvhg

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by gvhvhg »

on that note I remember adding two pictures of PA to the gallery from his match against Srichapan at the Usopen....those were from the Us open site....so i guess you should delete them too
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Dhruv »

gvhvhg wrote:on that note I remember adding two pictures of PA to the gallery from his match against Srichapan at the Usopen....those were from the Us open site....so i guess you should delete them too
I think I removed those a long time back when I saw them but have a look and see if you find them cause I tried and failed.
Indian

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Indian »

I agree with Dhruv that we shouldn't take a chance on copyright issues. It's never very clear anyway.
Dhruv: I uploaded 2 photos recently. 1 was from a website, and other was a screenshot of BBC website(not sure how it works on these things as I clearly quoted BBC webpage itself and not the photo). Also, I uploaded few photos in Other sports album some time back, again photos are from public sources. Please delete as you want.
Gues all the photos here come from some newspaper/website/external source?
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

CAN I UPLOAD PHOTO ALBUM

Post by Dhruv »

the BBC website screencapture should be fine I think as it is quite obvious where it comes from and would require a stretch (I think) to consider it an offense. If they take offense I can always take it down. I have found, having dealt with this before(unfortunately), people are less offended/more understanding when they are given credit for something than when something that is righfully theirs is posted on an open forum without their knowledge or them being given credit.

A lot of photos have been taken by members of the forum esp. the event type photographs (e.g US Open 2004). There are others that have been given to us by journalists and a lot of those in the Davis Cup section I have written permission from the various news agencies to use the photographs (who hopefully had the right to give me the permission). As the site is also registered with a lot of media outlets we get emailed photographs by the sports agents/ managers/news agencies to use in our reports or put in the gallery. I think most of the motor sport photographs have come to me in that manner.

I guess I should make this point : If people find photographs that they think might add value to the gallery and it is from a media outlet, just PM me or one of the moderators and we should be able to get in touch with the proper authorities and get the permission needed to post the photos on the site. Most companies are fairly helpful about this and I see no reason for that not to be the case in the future.