New ITF Tournament Restructuring 2017

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: General Tennis Discussions

Post by S_K_S »

What's changing at the ITF? Heard the commentators in Miami say that there will be very few futures going forward because of ITF changes.
Varma
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Varma »

Looks like there are big changes planned starting from 2018 and beyond. I have read articles which quoted Federer mentioning of something on similar grounds.

- Varma
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

"The ITF is recommending that there is a professional player pool "of no more than 750 men and 750 women."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/03/ ... iew/65102/#

Pretty drastic I would say!
suresh

Post by suresh »

If the idea is that 750 men/women should be able to make a living playing tennis, then it might be a good thing. However, there is a danger that it might kill the sport if the gradient for entry gets too steep.

Edit: More details available one the ITF website:

Looks like they will jettison the lowest level i.e., $15K tournaments and the main tour will consist of the challenger and ATP events (for men) and a similar structure for women. The $15K tournaments will be replaced by a "Transition Tour."
Transition Tour tournaments will offer ITF Entry Points instead of ATP/WTA ranking points, with the two systems linked to ensure that the more successful players are able to use their ITF Entry Points to gain acceptance into ITF Pro Circuit tournaments.
Read more at http://www.itftennis.com/news/256730.as ... MXSysYV.99
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a truly drastic step by ITF. Not sure if this will work. I suspect it will create more regional imbalance with players from India and Asia finding it difficult to move up to higher level which they were doing user weaker futures circuit at home. This in turn may preclude attracting youngsters to chose tennis as a sport.

That is just my feeling based on initial reading. I may be wrong in that assessment.
hate.age.fraud

New ITF Tournament Restructuring 2017

Post by hate.age.fraud »

ITF is restructuring its tournaments after a deep analysis of 13 years of data: http://www.itftennis.com/news/256730.aspx

Interesting insights about the Pro Circuit: http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/abo ... thway.aspx
...and the Junior Circuit: http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/organi ... thway.aspx

Lots of data in the links at the bottom of the above pages.

They want FEWER professional players! They are introducing a tournament category between Juniors and Futures. Sigh. Wonder what all this will mean to us.
hate.age.fraud

Re: New ITF Tournament Restructuring 2017

Post by hate.age.fraud »

Sorry, I just saw this was posted earlier by someone in another thread. Moderator, you can delete this thread. Thank you!
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Old wine in new bottle.

If the transition tour still has prize money and players can use those points to get into higher level tournaments, why distinguish them?

On a lighter note, the Asian Tennis Tour started by some of our officials is similar to what is being proposed here. Looks like they were ahead of their time. :p
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I think this is a case of the heart being in the right place, but the wrong conclusion. It is true that it extremely hard for most of the tennis pros to make ends meet. But to have a two tier system as a solution just creates other problems. As Sameer points out, there will almost certainly be regional discrepancies in how promotion can happen.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I was about to say the same thing. They are taking of transition tour as a local one. So, Asian tour will become much more relevant if it works out that way. If the winners at Asian events are given same points as those in Europe some of the regional balance which I talked about earlier will get corrected. Lot of question marks though. Let us see how this pans out.

P<s I will merge post in this thread with the posts in other thread.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

One more post won't make a difference.

There was a time I used to go through all futures tournaments in a week to figure where our players are playing. Often you would come across tournaments with players only of host country. Same happened in India too. I once opened a thread for three women's back to back futures with no foreign participation. I posted each a every result for three weeks. None of the forum members even bothered to post in that thread.

These tournaments can easily be replaced by regional tournaments. From where the best can move to the next level.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

vishalg

Post by vishalg »

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This is a good article on what the changes meant-

What does world tennis’ shake-up mean for India?
For now, the number of events has nosedived. For the first quarter of 2019, men’s tournaments have reduced by 40% (114 to 69).
This is a bit of an exaggeration. More tournaments will still get added to the calendar in March 2019. If one compares Jan-Feb period for 2 years the drop off is from 50 to 44 i.e 10%.
These transition events [World Tennis Tour] will be a waste of money,” says Hironmoy Chatterjee, secretary-general of the All India Tennis Association (AITA). “They are not going to help our players protect their ATP rankings.
This is a bit of an idotic statement which one expects from these AITA folks. How does it matter if the players get points to get an ATP ranking or an ITF ranking ? Were the players winning 15K futures getting so many ATP points to get entry into challengers earlier ? Now at least those getting into top 50/75 in the ITF rankings get a chance to get into enlarged challenger draws.

These people will take time to understand the system and our players will fall back in ITF rankings too due to no home tournaments. :-(
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

This article highlights good points about the new system-

New Player Pathway Debuts As 2019 Season Begins
Those competing at both the ATP 500 and ATP Masters 1000 levels will see a significantly greater prize money distribution in qualifying and the early rounds. This allocates more of the overall pot to the lower-ranked players, with an average increase of more than 80 per cent to those competing in qualifying at that level.
The financial benefits extend to the ATP Challenger Tour as well, improving the viability of fostering a professional career at the lower levels. In addition to overhauled prize money, players will incur less expenses with all Challengers providing hospitality to all main-draw players. As part of the enhancements, the ATP will provide travel grants for singles players ranked between No. 150-300 and for doubles players ranked between No. 75-150.
The ATP is also working to increase the number of Challengers and the number of physiotherapists at events. Additional ATP staff will attend the tournaments, helping to educate younger players about life on the Tour.

In a move to enhance the status of the Challenger Tour, the ATP also has a goal to stream all matches from all events. This will increase exposure of players and tournaments at the level, shining a brighter light on those striving to establish a successful professional career.
So, looks like those in 100-350 ranking bracket will earn much more than earlier while the upward movement from ITF level to challenger level will also be easier really good players.