Age Fraud in AITA (Indian Junior Tennis)

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Age Fraud in AITA (Indian Junior Tennis)

Post by Atithee »

Life isn't fair. People fake resumes and get jobs that they don't deserve. Colleges admit students that you feel are less deserving. Yet, we accept that sooner or later, true talent will rise higher than not. It may not reach the topmost that it may otherwise have reached. So, I'm in Arjun's camp on this. Let your racket do the talking. If you can't compete on a level playing field, enter the "open" tournaments, play qualifiers, whatever you can do. If you're good, you'll find a way. But, you'll never eliminate cheating/fairness in toto in any sphere of life.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Agree with the above sentiment.

If you cannot beat age cheats at low-level junior tennis in India, then tennis as a career ain't for you.
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

Atithee wrote:Life isn't fair. People fake resumes and get jobs that they don't deserve. Colleges admit students that you feel are less deserving. Yet, we accept that sooner or later, true talent will rise higher than not. It may not reach the topmost that it may otherwise have reached. So, I'm in Arjun's camp on this. Let your racket do the talking. If you can't compete on a level playing field, enter the "open" tournaments, play qualifiers, whatever you can do. If you're good, you'll find a way. But, you'll never eliminate cheating/fairness in toto in any sphere of life.
I would normally agree with you and it all sounds great but the reality is a bit different. For one, there are limited opportunities (these "open tournaments" that you are referring to). Also, Tennis is a very expensive sport (even in India). The really good ones may rise provided they keep going at it (and they have the money for it). The rest (including the late bloomers) might just give up. I also don't agree that if you are not at the top, then the sport isn't for you. Try telling that that to the guys ranked 300 on the ATP tour. Should they just give up just because they can't reach the top?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

That is an interesting issue. I recall reading an article from one of the ATP or WTA chief executives in which they stated that they viewed the lower level tournaments main purpose as being to develop talent for the main tour (ATP or WTA) rather than being a lower level end product itself. It's the same model as the minor leagues in the MLB or the diamond league for the NBA. That is, they are not intended for life time 400+ level players to prolong their careers. Only those on the way up or those recovering from setbacks/rehab but on their way back up were the primary focus of the lower level events. Not sure if they have done the best job in marketing their product but the ground realities appear to conform to this model.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

If you have the talent and aptitude to become a top 300 atp level player, you are easily going to beat age cheats in low level regional junior tournaments in India.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

I am not so sure. Talent and aptitude are great and all but they are not enough, at that age, to win against older kids who are stronger and determined to win (at any cost). Kids at that age (12/13) need the right technique to be able to handle faster racquet speeds and most of the kids don't have that until a few years later.

Anyway, the point is that we shouldn't take this issue very lightly. It actually makes it harder to fight the fight if we just brush it off (like some of you seem to).