Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Top 10 Indian tennis players ranking prediction for 2016

Post by sameerph »

I have projected top 400 ranking for Prajnesh.

He is actually currently ranked 608. His last week's 2 points are not yet updated in the rankings. Once that is done, he will be in top 600. He had missed almost entire first half this year due to injury. So, his points are earned only from 9 points ( as against allowed 18). So, if one doubles his current points from 53 to 106, he will go close to top 400.

In late 2013 and early 2014 ( before he got injured again), Prajnesh had a few wins over top 300 players even at challenger level.

So, In fact if he stays fit, I expect him to do better and go to top 350 and I might have put a slightly safe projection of top 400. But, I will stay at that.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, my prediction for Prajnesh is based on him being fit for the full year. He has just turned 26 which will be age for almost all of 2016, so he should be at his prime. Effectively, he missed 1+ year due to injury but has played at a top-400 or so level since he has come back. Likewise, in 2013 (the last year he was fully fit), he played decently in Europe with a couple of top-300 wins, so he seemingly has the ability to get near top-300 especially with the relatively large number of futures in India.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is depressing to revisit this thread at this stage of the year. Only Saketh, RamK and Sumit are ranked higher than they were last November among my TOP-10. And Prajnesh (coming back from an injury-depressed ranking) among those I didn't nominate. Let's hope the others can turn it around soon as well.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So long 2016. I do not participate in predictions because I have no clue. I have hopes for 2017 and the future.

For the future, I hope Sumit and Sasi take the world by storm in 2017.

For the short-term, I hope RamKumar has a breakout year.

For the now-term, I hope Yuki remains healthy. I hope among the old guys, Saketh keeps grinding it out and Prajnesh blooms late.

One can only hope.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Interesting to revisit at this stage of the year in 2017...

Sumit and Sasi are treading water.

Yuki is fit but barely so. Saketh is still injured. RamK is shows flashes of improving and then regresses.

Prajnesh is the only one who seems to surprise on the upside although he is also adjusting to the challenger level.

Somewhat depressing is that there does not seem to be any new prospects emerging in the last couple of years....
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, these were ranking predictions for 2016 but as we can see almost all the players are still below the ranking predictions we made except Prajnesh. It seems none expected Prajnesh to come upto challenger level as he has done now. Hope he continues to surprise us on positive side.

Unfortunately, injuries have his us badly - Yuki, Saketh and Sumit have all been out of the game for long periods of time which have affected their progress and RamK has progressed slower than expected.

Overall, quite depressing but looking at positive side Yuki, Saketh, RamK and Sumit all seem to have the talent to go at least upto top 100-150 level, perhaps Prajnesh too. We did not have this kind of depth on mens side 5-10 years back. It is a matter of getting all of them fit for some length of time which is easier said than done.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, the "depth" is nice, but what we had in the past was 1 player (occasionally 2) participating regularly on the main tour (or at least the upper echelons of the Challenger circuit), which is the missing ingredient at the moment. (Of course, prior to 1988, we had 2 or more on the full pro tour, and the occasional Slam singles quarterfinalist, but that is too far in the past now). It is certainly nice to have three players who are basically capable of being ranked in the 150-250 range (although frequently at the lower end of that range, and often outside it, i.e., worse). We cannot assume away the injuries and fitness issues, which are such an integral part of the sad story of contemporary Indian tennis.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

PKBasu wrote:Yes, the "depth" is nice, but what we had in the past was 1 player (occasionally 2) participating regularly on the main tour (or at least the upper echelons of the Challenger circuit), which is the missing ingredient at the moment. (Of course, prior to 1988, we had 2 or more on the full pro tour, and the occasional Slam singles quarterfinalist, but that is too far in the past now).
Yes, but there were a few years after Leander fell out from top 200 till Somdev made his way up the ladder when we had none even in top 200 ( only a couple in top 300) . That was for about 8 years from 2001 to 2009. We are better off than that now.