Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: General Tennis Discussions

Post by jayakris »

Just for comparison, I took a look at Sumit Nagal's progress also. Born 1997 (August), he is a year behind Jared.

Sumit Nagal W-L record
2011 juniors 7-5
2012 juniors 20-11
2013 juniors 22-16 pro 1-1
2014 juniors 24-12 (turned 17) and pro 2-4
2015 juniors 10-4 pro 7-7 and and an 18-3 run in India to come to top-500, then a 10-6
2016 pro 11-6 start of the year brought him inside top-400.

Sumit Nagal Cumulative record
93-60 (153 matches) when he was ready to go into run to came into top-500
122-75 (199 matches) when he reached top-375 this year.

Striking, isn't it, how many more matches he has played? About 160 matches at a healthy 63% winning record when he reached top-400 levels. About 40 more than Jared who played a bit fewer junior matches than Sumit.

But Sumit has picked up so much experience playing in so many places, on so many different surfaces too. We have to be extremely pleased with how he has progressed. I will be surprised if he isn't inside the top-300 or 250 by the end of the year and then probably top-200 or top-175 by the time he turns 20 next August (barring injury). He is ready!
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, I think as of now Sumit has progressed faster than what would have been expected based on his junior results. I think he would be ahead of his junior peers right now, though I have not checked. It is so good to be saying this on the transition from juniors to pros about an Indian kid. Usually, it is the other way around.
NeerajC

Post by NeerajC »

Great perspective, Jay. These kinds of insights are certainly one of the reasons why many of us read this forum everyday!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sumit is only ranked 20th amongst players born in 1997 or later. That would usually mean a career best around #100 and most of the career spent around #200 (usual 5x and 10x multipliers).

The reason we tend to rate Sumit higher is the absence of easy points. I would rate Sumit's results at least as much as his South Korean rival Duck Hee who is ranked 182. Almost all of the latter's points were earned in either Korea or China and he has played twice the tournaments.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, at this point I can only feel that he will get to 200 or 175 without too much problem. He is ranked lower because, again, he has not taken the easiest path. But he has managed a couple of wins on average per tournament before losing too, even at the tougher events. With some more of easier wins, he would be ranked around 300 quite easily by now. But anyway, let us see how things go from now on. Once he is inside top-250, we will talk about moving into top-150... The rise from 200 to higher levels is always much more difficult to predict, as talent really comes into play at that point. We have to wait and see. Things have progressed quite well for Sumit so far, and he is maturing very well. That's all we can say.
vatsal323

Post by vatsal323 »

The serve will always be a handicap for Sumit. That is the only thing that keeps me worried about Sumit.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Jay, simply superb analysis ... Sumit's progression is looking very methodical and I would be really disappointed if he doesn't break into top-75 before end of 2018.
Adina

Post by Adina »

Dear all,

My name is Adina and I am a Postgraduate student at Aberystwyth University in Wales. I am currently working on my thesis for my Masters in Marketing and my project is about Maria Sharapova's doping incident. I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to spare a few minutes to take part in my research by completing the survey down below.

https://abergeography.eu.qualtrics.com/ ... hXBZ5rw1rn

Thank you in advance!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There is a nice article on CNN about tennis and how costly it is to support a pro: Tennis Player Support Cost. As a poor country, maybe we should leave the supporting to the small rich families or have the government pick up the cost for the most promising youngsters. I also think we should invest in other cheaper sports.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We at least have a significant tennis tradition, which is an advantage over other countries (like China) that don't. We absolutely need to support tennis more, because it is a major world sport in which we are still producing world leaders (like Sania Mirza, current #1 in her speciality), and have very few other sports where we have ever produced world beaters (the other ones are badminton, billiards and shooting, perhaps at a stretch archery).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Not sure if this has been discussed already

What is the role of state tennis associations in our country ? While i am sure they have responsibilities framed by AITA, do they have to submit an annual report to AITA on the development of Tennis in their state. Shouldn't they have details related to funds received from AITA/Government and how it was utilized on their website or somewhere accessible to public?

While MSLTA has given all the details related to their junior development on their website, KSLTA doesn't even have their vision on their website.What are they doing for their TOP 3 players in each category ? What is the point having so many IAS, IPS and politicians in the committee? Not just KSLTA, most of the state associations are functioning as a private academy forgetting their purpose of existence.How do you hold them accountable ?

There are a lot of companies/people willing to sponsor, we have a lot of world class juniors with great potential but we lack structure. We have no idea how to bring these sponsors and players together and that's what AITA and state associations should be focusing on apart from organizing good level tournaments unlike this year which was a wash out for women. Scrap ATT.

I feel like we are going nowhere in Tennis :damn: . Few players who made it big have made it on their own without any support from AITA or state associations (with exceptions like Ram). This is the biggest difference between big sporting nations and us - involvement of Tennis associations.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Ram

Post by Ram »

Kevin wrote:Not sure if this has been discussed already

What is the role of state tennis associations in our country ? While i am sure they have responsibilities framed by AITA, do they have to submit an annual report to AITA on the development of Tennis in their state. Shouldn't they have details related to funds received from AITA/Government and how it was utilized on their website or somewhere accessible to public?

While MSLTA has given all the details related to their junior development on their website, KSLTA doesn't even have their vision on their website.What are they doing for their TOP 3 players in each category ? What is the point having so many IAS, IPS and politicians in the committee? Not just KSLTA, most of the state associations are functioning as a private academy forgetting their purpose of existence.How do you hold them accountable ?

There are a lot of companies/people willing to sponsor, we have a lot of world class juniors with great potential but we lack structure. We have no idea how to bring these sponsors and players together and that's what AITA and state associations should be focusing on apart from organizing good level tournaments unlike this year which was a wash out for women. Scrap ATT.

I feel like we are going nowhere in Tennis :damn: . Few players who made it big have made it on their own without any support from AITA or state associations (with exceptions like Ram). This is the biggest difference between big sporting nations and us - involvement of Tennis associations.
Good post! There is no accountability nor coordination presently among state and National associations. AITA should encourage State associations to conduct more tournaments locally and have 5 big tournaments nationally. This will bring in players who cant afford travel costs to participate in more tournaments and thus showcase their talent. Many talented less privileged players drop out for this reason.
Wrt to State officers.....Hard courts are a premium in India. But still premium courts are used by IAS officers for their club tennis in the mornings !!! :-(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I watched some IPTL action yesterday, and will be going again today for the India-Singapore match in the evening (one cannot watch both matches in a day, unless one wants to be trapped inside for 8 hours, as they don't allow re-entry -- bizarre given the sparse crowds).
Jelena Jankovic vs Kirsten Flipkens was the set I watched yesterday. Flipkens has an effective under-spin backhand (i.e., aggressively sliced) but was erratic. Up 3-1, she eventually went down 4-6. I just missed Sania's MxD match yesterday, but should be watching all the matches today. (Interesting that Sania-Rohan are winning, but Sania-Dodig lost yesterday…).
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Is CTL cancelled this time?