General Tennis Discussions

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

vatsal323
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: General Tennis Discussions

Post by vatsal323 »

rajitghosh wrote:Is CTL cancelled this time?
Yes
gbelday
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by gbelday »

I can understand why they made these changes but I don't like the "no-ad scoring" at all. I thought that's what separated the boys from men :) Kids who have that mental edge almost always win deuce games (don't have data to support but this is from my observations). They already started to implement these rules in the NCAA matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Scintillating tennis last night by Sania/Rohan as they won their match 6-0 against Melo/Bertens (with Kyrgios replacing Melo for the last game, and almost winning it but for brilliance from our pair at deuce).
Indian Aces were down badly before their match, with Philippoussis losing to Moyà 4-6 (in a match where it really didn't seem that both players were retirees) and Kirsten Flipkens lost 2-6 to Bertens.
Our amazing pair restored parity (with me a one-man cheering squad having some impact in geeing Rohan up at least :)).
Dodig/Feliciano managed to win the doubles in a 7-point shootout (although Melo/Baghdatis had dominated early in the set and our pair somehow managed to squeak back with brilliant retrieving and lots of Lopez magic), and then Feliciano Lopez did the same in singles against Kyrgios to cap an amazing evening for the Indian Aces. My wife and two daughters were skeptical before hand, but they are converts now: the IPTL rocks!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The IPTL format is really terrific for the spectators. One innovation is the Coca Cola Power Point, where the team gets two points, so you can gamble at 30-all with it, and take the game with a single point. Feliciano was down 4-5 (his service having just been broken) but he put pressure on the Kyrgios serve, and took a PowerPoint at 30-15 (15-30 for server Kyrgios) and won it to take it to a 7-point shootout at 5-5, which he won on the seventh point!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I made eye contact and exchanged a "Hi Buji" with Somdev as he was chatting with Moyà courtside, wearing the smart office-shirt and ear-piece of an official. But he hasn't retired: I exchanged messages with Purav (coach of the Singapore Slammers), and he confirmed that Buji is doing this only while on his injury break from the game.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

PKBasu wrote:I made eye contact and exchanged a "Hi Buji" with Somdev as he was chatting with Moyà courtside, wearing the smart office-shirt and ear-piece of an official. But he hasn't retired: I exchanged messages with Purav (coach of the Singapore Slammers), and he confirmed that Buji is doing this only while on his injury break from the game.
Nice to hear that
Varma

Post by Varma »

Over the years, we have had a lot of discussions about "Cramps" and how/why they trigger. I have read something today in "Australian Open" website, which though not scientifically proven, struck to me as something believable...especially since it came from former ATP touring physio Bill Norris.
1. The ‘old’ man can still outlast the young gun
The way Rafael Nadal at 30 outlasted 19-year-old Alexander Zverev over four hours and six minutes added further evidence to an observation made by former ATP touring physio Bill Norris. In his book ‘Pain, Set & Match’, Norris makes the observation that he’s seen players play tennis in all sorts of weather conditions with differing degrees of intensity, yet he’s never seen a player cramp in practice. His conclusion: that cramping is largely mental, brought on by the tension of a close match. That goes a long way to explaining why Nadal, with all the distance his body has on its clock, was able to be the fitter player, notably when Zverev started cramping immediately after the 37-stroke rally the two men played in the fifth game of the final set. Twelve years ago, a young Nadal lost a five-setter at Rod Laver Arena against a more experienced Lleyton Hewitt, because Hewitt knew how to manage his nerves and his body better. Now it's Nadal who uses that advantage to get the better of the leader of the next generation of tennis stars.
Australian Open - Five things we learnt of day 5

- Varma
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

It is an interesting thought, however I have definitely seen cramps in practice in soccer, football (American), and among runners. I can attest to cramping at swim practice when I was younger, as did many of the guys I was swimming with. Having said that, the idea that cramps are more likely if you are nervous strikes me as entirely plausible...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Also, are the practices that long? 5 hours non-stop with random back and forths?
Varma

Post by Varma »

As far as I know, even though they don't do it on a daily basis, playing 5 sets in practice is quite common. They do so by rotating practice partners to simulate a fitter opponent.

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Thanks. Also assuming that there are no breaks in between and it is 5 set continuous. Then, maybe the guy's theory has some legs.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The one player I've seen cramping in matches most often is Yuki. Hate to pick on him, but it happens to him in crucial matches (finals usually) and is certainly a combination of mental and physical issues. My theory is that Yuki played too few competitive matches at crucial stages of his life (between the ages of 16.5 when he won the AO junior title and 20, for instance) and so didn't have enough opportunities to get accustomed to being behind and fighting back in matches. (He was more accustomed to being a frontrunner, so even now frequently wins the first set of a match but struggled physically if put under pressure later in the match). The situation has improved over the years, but I still lament the wasted crucial years when he spent too much time at Bolletieri's and too little time playing competitive pro tennis.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

This is great news for US mens tennis! Too bad for UVA though (Somdev's alma mater)
https://www.usta.com/en/home/stay-curre ... ennis.html
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nicole Gibbs's blog entry about pro tennis cost.

UNRAVELING THE ACTUAL COSTS OF PRO TENNIS
Varma

Post by Varma »

To highlight the disparity between singles and doubles, here is an interesting observation...

Bryan Brothers
Turned Pro: 1998
Career Title: 112
Career Win-Loss: 1020-322
Career Prize Money: $14+ Million

Kei Nishikori
Turned Pro: 2007
Career Title: 11
Career Win-Loss: 325-151
Career Prize Money: $17+ Million

To put things into perspective, Berdych with 13 titles in his 15 year pro career won almost double the amount of prize money than Bryan brotherss.

- Varma