General Tennis Discussions

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: General Tennis Discussions

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful story. Sandesh Kurale is clearly a natural tennis talent, who is willing to work hard. His fitness seems the one thing he's really worked on -- while tennis was only possible on the rare occasions that he was able to make the 60Km bus journey to Kolhapur across the state border from Karnataka. Amazing that he is now the under-18 national champion, beating the 13-year-old phenom Manas Dhamne in a 3-set final.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 pm Good points, Arjun. Made me see the point Prasen was making earlier. If indeed the demand for good coaches/physios/fitness trainers is higher than supply then most players will not have much leverage in negotiating payment terms with them. So yes the market will drive that and players just have to go into being professionals with their eyes open and hope that they can turn a profit each year by staying healthy and winning matches.
Anyone lower than top-50 possibly does not turn a profit for even one player leave aside a second person. What I was saying is this. If I am a coach and can get a job in a high school for say $40,000 why would I want to go coach for less than $40k? If I can get a job in the Nick Bollitieri academy for $65k a year, I would not want to take up a part-time job or contract for less than that. I may do moonlight for 3-4 weeks a year, but, I will not want to take a traveling coaching job with 1 player or even a set of players. It is very difficult to coordinate schedules among multiple players.

And, if they have other skills, e.g., to be a bank clerk and earn $50k or high school teacher, etc. they will move in that direction.

Yes, they want to be a famous coach but if you squeeze salaries lower and lower, people will leave. That is basic economics. Now, if you believe that your player will be in the top-50, then yes, you can take it as a business risk. Maybe if you yourself are young. But, when you have a family to feed, I don't think you will take a risk except when the player is truly exceptional. And, the lower the pay goes, the fewer people will stay.

So, I do not think tennis players can afford to squeeze coaches' salaries and expect people to stay. Here is an article on Pro coach pay structure.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Govind Nanda turns pro. His UTR is 13.84 which is quite good and he just won an ITF 25K tournament. All the best to Govind Nanda.

Colee5
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Colee5 »

djoko had a little hiccup today. huge fave to win now the other guys are getting to be passed it.
Joesso12

Post by Joesso12 »

Wow that is great ..... :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Govind Nanda, USA, made the semis of the Cary, NC event and is now ranked around #480.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

The decline of Indian tennis from pre-eminence to its lowest ebb
https://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/t ... 937194.ece
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Good article aimed at shaking things up. That Italy has 20 Challengers (plus the Rome Masters and loads of other ATP tournaments) while India has 1 to 3 Challengers in a good year (and currently no ATP tournaments at all) tells its own story.

But Indian tennis isn't currently at its "lowest ebb". We have potentially 4 top-200 quality players in men's singles -- RamK, PG, Sumit and Yuki -- and one in women's singles. The neglect of juniors is scary, though, and will have a bad impact down the road.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Due to Covid we shall have a extended Challenger session until the 2nd week of Dec which in normal circumstances usually winds up in mid Nov.
This will give our players more opportunities to garner valuable points.
Surprising Sumit has called it quits for this year and would have missed 10 weeks of tournament play since his last tournament in end Sept.Hope he reverses his decision and enters atleast last remaining 3 or 4 tournaments to keep him match fit for the 2022 season
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sumit has a medical reason. He was injured and needs to rest. Hope he rests fully and resists the urge to come back when not fully recovered.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

I think entire Indian tennis contingent should take a break. They are playing awfully bad. They need guidance.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Omkara wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 pm I think entire Indian tennis contingent should take a break. They are playing awfully bad. They need guidance.
Sumanta in top form. :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

suresh wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:39 pm
Omkara wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 pm I think entire Indian tennis contingent should take a break. They are playing awfully bad. They need guidance.
Sumanta in top form. :D
Then, get him in the Indian team! ;-)
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Just wondering, considering the amount of rooftops in city, why are we not considering setting up rooftop tennis courts? One of the biggest issues is the access of tennis courts and court time, which can get very expensive very quickly.

I presume, this will be uncomfortable for residents on the top floor(with the noise). Are there any other reasons this is not viable?
suresh

Post by suresh »

Kumar wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:49 pm Just wondering, considering the amount of rooftops in city, why are we not considering setting up rooftop tennis courts? One of the biggest issues is the access of tennis courts and court time, which can get very expensive very quickly.

I presume, this will be uncomfortable for residents on the top floor(with the noise). Are there any other reasons this is not viable?
It is impossible to walk on the roof tops of apartment complexes as there are lots of pipes and wires. Tennis is out of question.