India needs to host more tennis tournaments...

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

munnabhai
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

India needs to host more tennis tournaments...

Post by munnabhai »

I have been wondering this for a while...

There is a great tennis culture in Chennai, Hyderabad, Delhi and I am sure in other cities as well, but how come AITA doesn't organize challenger tournaments in India? We have about 10 legit players in the top 500.

I understand that maybe Masters and 500s can be thought about after we get more players in the top 200, but if the AITA organizes at least 5 challengers in India more Indian players who are in the 400 range will get WCs and a leg up into the rankings.

I am sure there are many tennis fans in India and more can be created if we have local challengers in different cities. We fill up 50,000 big stadiums for football and cricket matches...filling up tennis stadiums will be a piece of cake for us.

They organize a Masters in Cincinnati for god's sakes, I can totally imagine India hosting a Masters in Chennai, Hyderabad or Delhi. Thats 5 or 10 years down the line though..

So why not host challengers in cities like Hyderabad, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Pune or something? Or do they already do it and am I just a loser for starting this unnecessary thread?
Saniapower
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: India needs to host more tennis tournaments...

Post by Saniapower »

AITA to be blamed for that :mad:
Sport culture not there in various governing bodies
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

AITA is planning on a domestic circuit during coronavirus days. Domestic Circuit
knarayen

Post by knarayen »

Not many people show up to watch local events (I could be wrong) and they will be playing to mostly empty stands - given current social distancing guidelines this should work. AITA comes up with a reasonable idea after all. Who knew?