Moderator: Moderators

sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: AITA News .....

Post by sameerph »

In terms of points, our players are likely to win many more playing 3 challengers than in 1 ATP event. However, the money would certainly be more in an ATP event. However, challengers would probably benefit larger pool of players other than our top 4 while in an ATP event at most 1 or 2 of our players will earn it terms of points and money.

There are long term benefits from an ATP event like increase in overall popularity of the game resulting in attracting young talent.

One can argue either way. But overall considering current level of our players challengers should be better. Once we get 2 or 3 in top 100, ATP's would be better.

China has been having multiple ATP events for a long time now but have not been able to bring up top 100 level players.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Sameer, I have high regard for your opinion and you have some very valid points. However, I still would like to have two ATP 250s.

In your analysis, you are comparing 3 home challengers to 1 ATP tournament. In reality, the issue is not that. Assuming proper management, the comparison should be 1 ATP tournament and 2 abroad challengers to 3 home challengers. Use the money at the ATP tournament to fund the abroad trips.

Also, we differ, because I don't particularly care for all the passengers in the tour. I care for the top 3-4 players. Those are the ones who can win accolades for us. The only others are the juniors/young-players. Give them WCs to the qualifying. Given that I care for the top players only, I think the extra ATP tournament would be very beneficial.

Performing at at quarter-final of an ATP tournament, albeit at home, will give the RKs confidence that they can perform abroad too in challenger finals or in the early rounds of top ATP tournaments.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

I think with more players improving the rankings, AITA should really push forward for a 2nd ATP 250 in India. It's not about whether we should shun the challengers or not, I think AITA is well equipped to vouch for an ATP tournament in addition to those challengers. They can have it in the Asian swing. If you want to be an Asian powerhouse, you have to behave like one. Ecuador, Colombia have ATPs, why can't we have one more than them?
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Why couldn't we hold on to our Challengers in February? From 3 to 2. Now with lower prize money. If we can't hold on to Challengers, can we ask for an ATP? Just wondering
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Omkara wrote:Why couldn't we hold on to our Challengers in February? From 3 to 2. Now with lower prize money. If we can't hold on to Challengers, can we ask for an ATP? Just wondering
From 3 (Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata) in 2014 to 2 ( Delhi,Kolkata) in 2015 to 1 (Delhi) this year. However, it is our inability to keep them due to commercial issues and all and it is not that ATP has taken them away. We had a second ATP event in Mumbai few years back but we could not hold on to it and it went first to KL and now predictability to China.

Our discussion here is more hypothetical considering that we have the money and we have to choose between 3 challengers and an another ATP event.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Got it.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

IOA Support for AITA, JFI in Face-off with Ministry

In a significant move, the Indian Olympic Association has sent a letter to the Sports Ministry supporting All India Tennis Association president Anil Khanna and Judo Federation of India president Mukesh Kumar.

Mehta said if need be, the IOA is ready to go to court. “If the federations go to court, which they will eventually, if the ministry forces them to give up their posts, then we will also support them in their fight," Mehta told Express from Delhi on Monday.
Anil Khanna has a lot of connections and is pulling them quite effectively!
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

VReddy

AITA News .....

Post by VReddy »

sameerph wrote:The challenger and futures calendars for the first quarter of 2017 have come out.

The lone challenger which was in India (Delhi) in early part of last year in too is out of the calendar this time. So, we have gone from 2014 to 2017 from being hosting 3 challengers in February to none now. :damn:

Only good thing there are 6 weeks of futures lined up in February-March. There were only 3 of them this year and that too in April-May. So, at least our second string players will get to play at home in early part of the year when usually there are lower level of tournaments and tournament cut tends to be quite high everywhere.
Excuse me for this rant but I need to let it out :rant: :p

As an outsider (in terms of no contacts in tennis circles), the whole AITA & administration of Tennis in general seems like a mess. The whole Davis cup scheduling, promoting ATT, none of the top players getting along with AITA, lack of transperacy involved. On top of it, people/groups as powerful as TNTA, Bhupathi, Sports Ministry, Chidambaram (while in power too), Amritraj family do not seem to be able to get any sort of control over AITA like the Khannas seem to have.

Inspite of following Tennis for so many years on this forum, I am still not able to figure out the funding / expenses of AITA - responsibility of the State Associations, funding by the state governments to Tennis and so on. Where is all the money going?

I wish similar to Cricket (with Dravid, MSK, Srinath, Kumble, etc,.), we have the new blood take over the Tennis administration. Especially with a guy as solid as Somdev who has done enough work now to show that he is interested/open to the path of Sports Administration - I am not even sure if there is a sound path for these guys to make it beyond a TNTA or a TSTA at the moment which makes it really sad.
prasen9

Re: ATP/ITF/WTA tournament calendar updates

Post by prasen9 »

Just a minor quibble. MSK, Dravid, Kumble are the coaches and selectors now. KSCA has Brijesh Patel as the secretary, I think with Bhat and Ganesh as ex-players in the managing committee. Ganguly is the CAB President. But, most of the administrators in cricket are still the usual shady characters.
Varma

AITA News .....

Post by Varma »

What happened to the tennis players association that was started by Buji and others? They were talking big initially but nothing seemed to have happened. Does anyone have a clue?

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I have moved last 3 posts to AITA news thread as it does not directly related to calendar updates and discussion on this.
Varma wrote:What happened to the tennis players association that was started by Buji and others? They were talking big initially but nothing seemed to have happened. Does anyone have a clue?

- Varma
It does look like that has petered out. Have not seem anything on that for some time. I guess it may be difficult to do anything substantial till one gets into the organisation running the game.

Regarding that saw a news report recently -

AITA has a temporary new President

So, a new president will be elected on 31st March, 2017. Will that be a chance for Mahesh and company to take over helms of AITA ? I hope there is some change for the good of tennis in India.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

If the news is true and AK is on his way out ,than surely this has to be the greatest news since the sliced bread was invented.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Rajiv wrote:If the news is true and AK is on his way out ,than surely this has to be the greatest news since the sliced bread was invented.
:devil: :rofl: :devil:
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Just before the interim president was selected, Anil Khanna was made the Hon. Life President. So now he will forever be involved :p