Indian Davis Cup Team Mess

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

10nis_ace

Re: Indian Davis Cup Team Mess

Post by 10nis_ace »

Good link Sathya. From the same page and on expected lines: AITA retains Paes as Davis Cup team skipper for tie with Japan
New Delhi: The All India Tennis Association (AITA) has deferred taking any decision on players' revolt against Davis Cup team skipper Leander Paes till April.

So Paes will lead the team against Japan in April.

The AITA says there will be no change in India's Davis Cup squad against Japan and has also requested Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi to play together in the Beijing Olympics which is to be held from August 8-24, 2008.
amr090
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by amr090 »

yikes...looks like a showdown i brewing...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

This is a more detailed article on the decisions by AITA -

Paes will remain captain: AITA

Some sensible decisions by AITA there about talking to the players & requesting them to not to speak to press. Lets see if RB,PA & MB back down now.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Exactly what I expected. 

Anil Khanna and AITA are always adept at coming up with something that confuses and keeps everybody off-balance.  They are way too good at it.  Generally Anil Khanna manages to somehow squeeze out of tight corners.  They basically punted right now. 

They will wait for the players to calm down, and somebody will try to talk to the players and tell them that they have been speaking a lot to LP and that LP is agreeing to change some things etc.   They will offer to kick out Nandan Bal and bring in another coach who is acceptable to the two players (whoever that is).   They may or may not have got any guarantees from LP, but some press items will go out saying "Leander shows understanding about player grievances in Davis Cup" and LP would say things like "I am partly to be blamed for being somewhat insensitive, especially when it comes to the country's fortunes" and "our team really needs the support of the country's top two players" etc .. AITA will send a press release saying "we have been in constantly in touch with the two players" (SP Mishra or Montes might have sent an email or Anil Khanna may even have called once) and that "the players have been assured that their grievances are being addressed" .. They may even come up with some crazy plan for "a rotation between two captains - Paes and Bhupathi" without clearly saying if they are going to implement it (which they won't be planning to) .. 

Basically, the players will get cornered (because of their own inexperience in negotiating and getting their way, as one of you said above!), will get press/media pressure long with some pressure from tennis people, and they will find it very difficult not to come down for the Japan tie.

If they still do not relent, AITA will send in Somdev, Karan and Vivek Shokeen with LP and the PA/RB will look even worse whether we manage to win or not.   But we will go on.

I am not sure if that is all good, but I am not criticizing AITA either.  Just saying what I expect to happen.  Generally I am even in support of AITA doing something to keep people off-0balance and get our work done. 

I will have to criticize if they do not then try to whatever little they can to address some of the issues and get LP to do a better job.  Unfortunately, AITA's track record is not too good in bringing about any fundamental changes, even though they have a decent track-record in crisis management.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Jay, I would be very surprised if Bopanna and Prakash decide to play....they will look like fools if they relent and the matter will be taken even less seriously.  This doesn't even mention the uncomfortable atmosphere that will be present during the tie....i really dont know how they can play together...
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

You will be surprised, Arun.  Things can change, and AITA is quite capable of orchestrating things in such a way as to give the players no option...  I know they are pretty admant now, but they are still young and probably a little idealistic about thing like the wrongs they perceive.   

The key is how AITA manages to turn around Vijay and Mahesh.  Some wheeling and dealing of some sort is needed - because those two know very well how AITA operates.  If those two tell PA and RB to relent, with some proper consideration of the issues they raised, the players would need to do something.   That part of dealing with VA and MB is more difficult for Anil Khanna but I won't be surprised if he figures out a way.   Trust me,  PA and RB are young and I suspect they are not experienced in handling Anil Khanna on this! ..

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Yes, but I think you will be surprised on this one, these guys don't really as much on Vijay and Mahesh as you think, I know Prakash decently well now and he is a strong personality, has his own views and ideas, and i don't know if his thoughts will change regardless of what others say..
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We will wait and see.    I am not saying that those two are doing things on the advice of VA and MB.    Just that they will listen to what those two tell them and will think more about their stance.  There are clearly things these two guys are not thinking of, or expecting. 

But then again, if PA and RB does not change their views under ANY circumstance, they are the losers in the end, and I don't think any of us would be able to support them on that.  As I said above, we will go with SKD, KR and VS with LP against Japan.  That would be sad for Indian tennis, and I hope thesetwo guys won't be that stupid.  There is no point in taking a stance which does not help them, does not help their cause/principle, does not help to change anything for the country, and only causes harm.  An advice on THAT from VA and MB would be tough for them to discard.

Jay
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

Yes you're right it will be interesting to see how things shake up...but honestly it doesn't make sense for them to come back to the team and play right now.  If the whole point of the letter was that they felt LP wasn't a good captain and/or they feel a non playing captain is the better idea, then coming back to play would undermind the whole thing.

I think the smart move on their part here would be to say ok, we agree with you khanna that things should be discussed, and we are willing to discuss but till those discussions are completed and this situation is resolved we will stay out of playing davis cup.
Insider

Post by Insider »

"Time is too short to consider any issue they like to raise"
Poppycock.

Don't take this BS Rohan and Prakash.  Stick to your stand. 
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I don't agree Arun, that there is no point in coming back to the team, if it is fully clear that changing LP is something that is just not on the table.  That is  inexperienced thinking.   The point would be to make LP come down a notch, or several notches, and force him to start being a more sensitive and better-planning captain, with AITA offering to help plan better (things like a full-time manager or an year-round appointment for even LP himself, to nurture not just these players but other upcoming players etc etc).   Make him know that he is no longer the unquestionable dictator who can do whatever pleases him.  

Of course, PA and RB would/might not believe that the "accommodations offerred" would work, and they may well be right on that judgment, but SOME changes could indeed happen - and they may realize that they would indeed be the "change agents".  It is not easy to counter great-sounding proposals, even if you don't think it would work - especially when you are told that it is all because of your tough stance that the changes are being put on the anvil.  If you still oppose, you only lose massively and gain nothing.   You and others.   Rest assured that this will be made known to them.  Do not underestimate AITA and Anil Khanna in giving the players and those who could talk to them, options they cannot refuse.

They will be utterly stupid not to relent to ANY accommodation from AITA and LP, in any case.  I don't think these two are dumb not to listen to advice from anybody to relax their stance, and I don't think people like VA and MB would not advice them to stay tough, if VA/MB feel that wings have been clipped properly and some future plans that mesh with their own and these two players' interest are being worked on.

I am hopeful that PA and RB won't be stupid.

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

Well, Rohan already skipped the Uzbek tie last time, so I won't be surprised if he does it again. The truth of the matter is that 10 years from now, Paes is the only davis cupper among the current lot who'd be remembered. Bottomline is that perfomance--rightfully or wrongfully-- has to talk more than words, then you're in a better position to bargain.
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

jayakris wrote:   Make him know that he is no longer the unquestionable dictator who can do whatever pleases him.  
But let me ask you this, Jay. What if they question next time LP puts Somdev ahead of one of them? Does Paes have that right? Or are they going to yell foul?
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

jay, i don't think the point here is making accomodations....the whole point of their stance is that they want LP out as captain because they feel a non playing captain would be fairer, so AITA making offers that LP will be a better captain and nicer is irrelevant.  In my view relationships have frayed to such a point that for one LP's ego wouldnt really allow him to genuinely try to have a good relationship, and that even if he did, the other side would be so wary that its not genuine that it would never work.  I think once trust is lost it is very hard if not impossible to regain.

I also don't feel it would be anything stupid if they stood by their stand...they on principle feel that a non playing captain is better and dont think lp is a good choice....in my view theres nothing wrong with that stance.  either way i'm of the firm opinion that relationships with this current bunch have frayed to such an extent that it is not repairable to get to a good friend relationship.  at best they will tolerate each other and go out and play for the country.  under that situation there is no way taking orders from lp will work.
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

I also don't feel it would be anything stupid if they stood by their stand...they on principle feel that a non playing captain is better and dont think lp is a good choice....in my view theres nothing wrong with that stance.  either way i'm of the firm opinion that relationships with this current bunch have frayed to such an extent that it is not repairable to get to a good friend relationship.  at best they will tolerate each other and go out and play for the country.  under that situation there is no way taking orders from lp will work.
sorry, but if they'd taken that principled stand, i'd be more inclined to agree. instead they've been going hammer and tongs at leander with anything they could think of. that stand could've avoided this drama.