Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

BCCI to fund tennis players

Post by Sandeep »

In a good sporting gesture BCCI decided to support players from other sports also keeping up their promise made earlier. The first beneficiary most likely would be Karan Rastogi with a sponsorship amount of 40lakhs for this year.

Note : BCCI will also fund Aditya Jagtap (squash player) with annual sponsorship of 20 lakhs

BCCI to fund tennis, squash players
Last edited by Sandeep on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: BCCI to fund tennis players

Post by suresh »

Sandeep's link is not working -- so I am reposting it below:

BCCI to fund tennis, squash players

This is good news.

Suresh

Edit: Link works now an extra http:// showed up, don't know how? software change?
Last edited by suresh on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Suresh's link also not going thru... Good gesture from BCCI...

I am probably opening a can of worms.. not sure if Karan is an ideal candidate for such a sponsorship though. His performance lately has been very mediocre. Yuki would have been an ideal choice.
puneets

Post by puneets »

Here's a working link

HT article
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

yes with a plumeting ranking and which shows signs and has a very good potential of droping even furhter way down , karan surely is a controversial choice , even today he lost to a 1000 ranked player at cal.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Rajiv, I disagree on two counts. First, Karan is in a slump -- the problems are mental more than anything else. The talent is there and I predict that he will rise up the rankings soon though I wonder if his coaches are doing the right things. (I have not complaints against choosing someone like Yuki). Second, the guy he lost to is ranked 1000+ only because he has not played a lot. I also think the Kolkata clay is nothing like European clay especially if the bounce is not true -- then a serve and volley player like Vishnu becomes a handful.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

One could argue that there are better candidates than Karan Rastogi and Aditya Jagtap to receive the funding from BCCI, but it was BCCI's decision to choose these two players.  What were the selection criteria?  Did players have to apply to get this funding?  We may never know!

Somdev versus Yuki?  Saurav Ghosal versus Joshna Chinappa versus Dipika Pallikal?  I guess we would not agree on one tennis player or one squash player if Sports-India members were given the charge to hand out a decent sum of money.  :wink: :D
mamta

Post by mamta »

karan has a sponsor rite??? how come he was chosen?
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

mamta wrote: karan has a sponsor rite??? how come he was chosen?
it is bcci...they're mysterious!
shaili

Post by shaili »

why do indian sports fans always crib? when there is no sponsor we lament about the public / private agencies not supporting players. when there is a sponsor, we lament about the choice of the player who has got / not got the sponsorship.

is sponsorship valid only for players who are performing well or have performed well?

world over sponsorship of sportspersons is a given...whether an upcoming player or a succesful one.

as a sports community - maybe we should be a bit positive about what we have than be negative about what we dont.

one day when there is plenty of money to go around and the intention to spread funds to more sports and more players - we will all crib a bit less.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Welcome back shaili.

I think the complaint was mostly because there were earlier reports on some big sponsorship from other quarters for Karan (I am not sure if all the promises materialzed, however).  And eerybody here is worried about Yuki getting some funds and Somdev having enough to get going on the pro tour, also.

All of us are Karan supporters, so I am only happy to see him get more help.  I just wish he would get out of this blasted slump he is in, and start playing like he can.

Jay
wrestlinglife

Post by wrestlinglife »

im sorry, it is more than a "slump" which is a euphamism. let's be honest and straight for a second--karan is over-hyped, over-rated on this forum. let's talk about him when he wins something.
WTATourCoach

Post by WTATourCoach »

Greetings my friend...what are the specifics of these sponsorships?  Any idea?  Can you describe BCCI as a business/entity to me?  Reason being, is that we are looking for some financial backing for India's number two ranked tennis player, male or female, Sunitha Rao.  You can send me a private message, if possible, to explain the specifics as you understand them and perhaps assist me with contact information for the appropriate persons responsible for making these decisions.  Thanks.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I don't know the details of the sponsorship, but BCCI is the Board of Cricket Control of India.  They are the quasi-government body that administers Indian cricket, and apparently flush with funds, enough to sponsor other athletes.
sunitarao

Post by sunitarao »

I am  surprised that some of the forum  members have raised  eye brows  at Karan  getting some financial  support from BCCI .

Its  obvious that  Karan  is not playing his best tennis right now.    However,  it happens with  even the best players.    They  go through the lean phase. Even during this lean phase,  Karan  has defeated  ,    one  of the most crafty players,  HM,  not  once  but twice.    In  Delhi future  he lost to Kedryuk,  from a winning position.    In fact  that  has been his story  past few months  _  losing to hot player , from  winning position.

That does not take away anything from Karans  profile.    Our best junior since Lee:    Though  Yuki  is coming along,    but he will take some time to catch  up with Karan_  even for junior  level.

Even at pro level    KR  has  pretty good record  better than any of his contemporary _ winning satellite  and    four  or five  futures,    including that clay court win in Morocco.  And ,of course ,  defeating a top  100  player at atp chennai,    playing big match against nadal and defeating about  six or seven  top  200  players.                                                                 

How can we forget  his win against Greul,  who reached a career high rank of top 70.  IF SKD defeating  Isner  is a great acievement,  simply because  Isner reached  a top 110  ranking,    then  Karan  defeating greul is more imp because  greul reached top 70  and Karan beat him  when Karan was only  18 or 19

And then  he achieved all this even before celebrating his 21st  b day.

So    KR  deserved it  and we should be happy that one of our boys got it.

Its  so typical an Indian attitude  when  we start pulling down  our own boys  due to some  personal prejudices  or bias.