Indian tennis calendar 2008

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian tennis calendar 2008 (Sunfeast WTA cancelled!)

Post by jayakris »

From the Times of India -

WTA Open cancelled

After running into trouble regarding venues, the WTA Sunfeast Open, to be held from October 6-12, has finally been cancelled, reports Anupama Bagri from Mumbai. The $175,000 Tier III event is no longer listed on the WTA calendar. Kavita Bhupathi, sister of Globosport MD and tennis ace Mahesh, confirmed the development to TOI. “The event has been cancelled. However, we cannot spell out the reasons now. We will issue an official statement early next week,’’ she said. TNN

So, that is the end of that! .. And I am awaiting news on what is up with the Bangalore ATP net month.

Jay
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian tennis calendar 2008 (Sunfeast WTA cancelled!)

Post by BSharma »

jayakris wrote: From the Times of India -

WTA Open cancelled

Jay

Puneet,

Should I believe Jay or is he pulling a fast one on people like me?  :wink:
puneets

Re: Indian tennis calendar 2008

Post by puneets »

This time it seems true...you need not worry :)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

This is sad.  If we keep going this way, the WTA will not give us any tournaments in the future.  Why are these tournaments that were held in the past in trouble?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Probably Sania being injured & not doing well may have led to sponsers shying away . That may be one of the reasons for cancellation of WTA event. But what is happening to ATP event ? This was staged successfully in Mumbai in last 2 years . Then, the venue got changed to Bangalore & now that too looks doubtful.
:(
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

We have a remarkable ability to shoot ourselves in the foot. Awful news  :damn:. I just hope the ATP event isn't cancelled, as it is quite important to the development of Somdev's career.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I have to think the ATP event is cancelled.  The ATP news item to the players seemed to be saying "when" and not "if" .. It said, the players will have 24 hrs to redo entries when the final decision comes out!  ... That didn't seem to show any indication that it may not be cancelled .. May be I am reading too much.

Jay
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Why is the ATP event being canceled?  Why do these people not sign contracts in advance?  What is happening?  I am very sad at these turn of events.  In my eyes, this shows an unprofessional attitude and ATP will be reluctant to go through these things in the future.  If we did not have the sponsors, why did we get the event approved?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Actually India hasa pretty solid record of not cancelling events we promise to ITF, ATP and WTA - especially in the challenger and futures levels .. There have been a few tour events that are cancelled here and there around the world in the past, and India has held something like 25 events in the last dozen odd years without cancelling any.  We have also put together some events in extremely shortnotice like the world doubles championship.

It seems to be a bit of a coincidence that these two events are getting cancelled.   So, I am sure that it will immediately cause such a proble with ATP and WTA.

Well, ATP also has to do their fair bit to help tournaments.   WTA actively work towards bringing some top players to the events (and have some rules ad guideleines to get players to do that) but I am not sure if ATP does enough of that.  If Bangalore's biggest problem was that the top players are not willing to come for whatever reason (not sure of that, but I am sure that had a lot to do with it), then nobody can do anything.

Jay
10nnix

Post by 10nnix »

PKBasu wrote: We have a remarkable ability to shoot ourselves in the foot. Awful news  :damn:. I just hope the ATP event isn't cancelled, as it is quite important to the development of Somdev's career.
Relax PKP, this guy is capable of making 30-40 ATP Points every two weeks. This can easily give him 18 tournaments with average of 30-40points each. With 30, he makes it to about top 75 & with 40 he makes it to about 50 after he has played full calender (Every player plays about 25 when they are healthy and top 18 tournaments are what I am talking about here.)

That is what I take his natural ranking at this point, anywhere between Top 50-75, pure numbers, does not require any leap of faith here.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Bangalore ATP (2009 Sep) Cancelled

Post by jayakris »

Well, the official word just came from ATP, in their bulletin to the players:

August 24, 2008 - Bangalore Canceled: The ATP event in Bangalore scheduled to start September 29 was canceled. Therefore, the deadline for the other two events scheduled that week (Metz, Tokyo) has been extended to Monday, August 25.

I guess we guessed that this was going to happen...

Jay
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Re: $436K Banglore Open ATP 29 Sept - 4 Oct 2008

Post by sameerph »

Well, this is from ATP tennis site -
Bangalore Suspended Due to Security Fears

The ATP Board can confirm that it has today, regrettably, accepted a petition from the Bangalore Open to suspend the 2008 event due to the local promoter’s security concerns. The total event prize money of $400,000 will now be paid into the ATP player pension fund.

Does that mean local promoter ( is it globosport ? ) shyed away & gave security as one of the reasons. What is so bad about security situation in Bangalore ? There are several other cities which have held sporting events after much worse terrorist attacks.

It is sad that back to back big events in India are cancelled within a few days of each other.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Does it mean that Bangalore loses face, a tennis tournament and $400,000? Will the sponsors pay $400,000 without hosting the tournament?

I hope that I am not being taken for a ride by Sameer this time. Once bitten, twice shy. :D
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

No, Doc . I dare not do that to you. :-)

I am too surprised about that bit about prize money going to pension fund. That is crazy that organisers are giving away $ 400,000 just like that.
What do they gain from that ?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

The news is indeed there at the ATP site. This is really ridiculous. Security concern?? ... Are you kidding me?? ... What security concern suddenly? ..

If the organizers said this as a bogus reason to save face, I will be totally pi**ed. This is a national shame. Isn't this the first case when any higher-profile international event is cancelled due to security fears in India? Are we admittng that we are a banana republic that cannot offer security for a piddly tennis tournament (when we are taking up a mammoth CWG in two years, world cup hockey, etc)? ...

Did the Indian government know? .. I am totally mad right now. If there was only a money concern and the organizers gave this reason without being advised to do so by the police, RAW, CBI or somebody, the organizers should be sued for national libel (is there something like that?) ..

Boy, am I mad. Shameful.

Jay