Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Sports and Appearance Money

Post by BSharma »

PKB wrote in another thread:
….discussions about appearance money are anyway never discussed in the public domain, which is what makes this such a disgusting breach of ethical norms.
Sports and Appearance Money

It is legal for players on the ATP and WTA Tours to accept appearance money; however, golfers on the PGA Tour cannot, although they can accept appearance money on European PGA Tour and other Tours.  Erne Els is playing golf in India currently and he has not gone just for the opportunity to win prize money and if you look deeper, you will find that top golfers demand and are paid appearance money.  Andre Agassi is reported to have received around $1 million to play tennis in Middle East.  Tiger Woods now commands around $4 million to play in Middle East and also demands a private jet to fly him both ways.  Golfer Greg Norman used to charge $200,000 - $250,000 as appearance money in mid 1990s plus $50,000 for fuel for his private jet.

Is discussing “appearance money” in print media a taboo subject? 

If it is, then many golf magazines, American newspapers and newspapers in other countries have been printing something terrible because if you scan these print media, you will find plenty of discussion about the amount of money players demand to participate in tournaments.

I subscribe to two golf magazines and there is always a snippet of how much golfers are getting paid to show up at PGA tournaments.  I repeat, it is illegal to get paid appearance money on PGA Tour, but many top golfers (Tiger is in another league by himself) are paid upwards of $100,000 to hobnob with rich people at breakfast at corporate tents although the PGA Tour does not pay them for participating in the tournament.  The US Open Golf was held in my city a few years back and the news media published the going rate of these fees charged by certain golfers, including Vijay Singh.

Who made up the rule that writing about appearance money in newspapers is unethical?  

Writing about it is not unethical.  Players don’t want to talk about it, and the tournament organizers want to keep the amount of money paid a secret because many sports fans believe that such money transactions do not occur.  The biggest losers are often the fans because occasionally the players hold the tournaments ransom with their demands, the ticket prices at tournaments go up sometimes, and money that could be used for other purposes sometimes end up being used elsewhere.

Is appearance money always good for sports?

We have seen Nadal not only get paid to play in Chennai, but has demanded wild card for his friend.  The wild card could have gone to a more deserving player.  Tiger Woods was paid appearance money to play in New Zealand few years back and the weekly tournament ticket prices went up to $205 from $20 the previous year and when the weather turned bad and the public stayed away because of it, the New Zealand Open suffered a financial loss and the organizers were trying to pay off the debt for the next few years.

Appearance Money, India and Sports-India

Appearance money may be a new topic in the tennis forum of Sports-India, but we have discussed about it in the golf forum in the past three or four years or perhaps more.

It is not the first time that the subject of appearance money has been raised in Indian print media.  The Economic Times wrote about it a year back and Leander’s appearance money at Chennai Open was also reported in other newspapers.  Do we have a double standard here? Did anyone raise the issue of unethical behavior by the press then?

Jay asserted that the organizers of Bangalore Open released the information about Sania’s appearance money to Sukhwant, but retracted his statement when Sukhwant wrote in the forum that the organizers did not leak the information and Jay later added that this information jived with "that Sunder Raju initially had said to HT that there was no appearance money issue". 

Some people are totally convinced that the Bangalore Open organizers are the guilty party, yet I have not seen any evidence that proves their guilt.  I do not know who is guilty, or if anyone is guilty at all.  Playing the appearance money game is a business deal between two parties and sometimes the deal falls through.

May be, the Bangalore Open organizers will regret their decision of not being able to rope in Sania this year; perhaps, Sania may find out that her asking price is not what organizers in India can afford. 

Who knows whether my ramblings make any sense, even to me?  :D
jai_in_canada

Re: Sports and Appearance Money

Post by jai_in_canada »

Wow, Dr. Sharma, this prize money thing really gets you going?!  For some one that saves lives / makes them better, this issue seems to be life and death!  :D 

I feel like singing the Allman Brothers song "Lord I was born a ramblin' man..."  :devil:

To your points:
* Tiger Woods accepting appearance money is grotesque - if he is, then he should donate it all to charity, he does not need any more money than he is legally making
* Discussing prize money should not be taboo - heck, given what else is being "discussed" on the internet, talking about prize money is like talking about candy
* Appearance money is not good for sports, it may be good for business - and don't forget, professional sports is more profession (business) and less sport
* Bangalore Open, Sania Mirza, Sukhwant Basra, PKB, BSharma, Puneet, Athithee, fatwa, Indian flag, Sania's feet, Sania's feet close to an Indian flag, PIL, Bhopal, films, mosque, filming inside a mosque, short skirts, sitting on swings, back spasms, adductor tear, don't think technique, nballa, all Sania's greed and fault .... Man, my head spins!!!
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

There is "appearance money" in everything in life. Appearance money is a reflection of how hard you have worked to get to where you are and the success you have had and the impact that you will cause. We all get an appearance money for turning up to work every day. The people who are experts in their field such as the Doc and PK probably get appearance money for speaking at conferences. Famous politicians and businessmen get appearance money on the after dinner circuit. Therefore, sports people are as entitled to appearance money as anyone else. If your name can add thousands of bums on seats, increased sponsorship or hundreds of thousands of viewers or even millions of viewers then you deserve to be rewarded for that.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Some people are totally convinced that the Bangalore Open organizers are the guilty party, yet I have not seen any evidence that proves their guilt.  I do not know who is guilty, or if anyone is guilty at all.  Playing the appearance money game is a business deal between two parties and sometimes the deal falls through.
I held them responsible NOT because they didn't pay what Sania asked for.  I blame them for seemingly not even trying.

According to Sunder Raju himself (unless he was just giving a careless line to get a newspaper off his back), they had not been in touch with Sania for weeks.  Instead they worked on Serena/Venus.   The indication I see in Sukhwant's ad Prajwal's articles are that they took Sania for granted. 

Frankly they did not need BOTH Serana and Venus, and should have thought of whether they would be able to get Sania too in that case (if they cared).   If they wanted Sania to play, they could have given a part of the $150K they are reportedly giving them and decided on just one of the sisters.  Or at least have done some honest negotiations with Sania, keeping her posted on what was going on.   

It is possible that they showed indications that with those two roped in or being negotiated with, Sania should bite her pride and play for whatever money left because she was a bit of a "captive" party (this is a well-known business negotiation tactic) .. Once the venus/serena opportunity came up and they had to jump at it, they seem to have placed themselves in a tight spot, perhaps out of no choice - and they had no money left to even negotiate with Sania, which might be the reason why they were not in touch with her after initial contact.  Or they placed themselves in that position deliberately for the sake of doing hard-assed negotiations and force out a cut-price deal from a "captive" Sania, and she felt they were totally making use of her.

They do have to take some blame for treating the fan favorite like that, as the newspaper reports seem to indicate something of that sort.  This is all I am complaining about.
May be, the Bangalore Open organizers will regret their decision of not being able to rope in Sania this year; perhaps, Sania may find out that her asking price is not what organizers in India can afford.
The second sentence is a bit too harshly worded, Bhushan.   When the tournament COULD indeed afford about twice as much for two foreign players, they obviously could afford roping in Sania, had hey chosen her instead of others.  This was a case where they chose others - that is no indication that her "asking price" is too much.    Simply that they judged Venus and Serena to be more important.  Probably exhausted their bank on that too.   They should not have, in my view - if they needed Sania.

It is not even clear how much of "asking" happened in this case, due to organizational friction and general disrespect shown by the tournament that they could live without Sania (who they perhaps also thought would still show up to avoid a PR problem).

Jay
Last edited by jayakris on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Here's a dumb question whose answer should be self-evident, but I'll ask it.  If they pay the Williams sisters an appearance fee and then they don't show up due to illness/injury, does the tournament get the money back?  Or is it non-refundable because just the prospect of the Williamses playing would have increased ticket sales?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

:Offtopic:
S_K_S wrote: There is "appearance money" in everything in life. Appearance money is a reflection of how hard you have worked to get to where you are and the success you have had and the impact that you will cause. We all get an appearance money for turning up to work every day. The people who are experts in their field such as the Doc and PK probably get appearance money for speaking at conferences.
I wish I got appearance money to turn up for work and doing what is expected of me.  :D

I look at my salary as what a player gets prize money.  Players get prize money based on how well they do at a tournament.  The same is true for me.  If I see more patients in a day, I earn more money and if I work less hard, I get less.  Players have expenses (travel, accomodation, charges for coaches, trainers, etc) and so do I.  I have to pay for my clinic space, salaries for my nurses and front office staff, medical malpractice insurance premiums, etc).  I get paid for giving lectures at medical conferences, but it is to off-set the loss in income for being away from my clinic (I don't generate income when I am not seeing patients).  My medical college collects all my earnings, substracts the expenses, the Dean takes his cut (it is jokingly called as Dean's tax) and then issues me a check at the end of the month. 

I believe that something similar occurs with most people who are employed as engineers, IT professionals, accountants, etc.  Some companies pay a bonus to their employees, but it is because the workers worked hard and made a profit for their companies.

Some players get appearance money on top of what they earn as prize money, but I don't think that I get what may be considered as appearance money, and I don't think that bonuses are similar to appearance money. 

The only time I felt like I should have received appearance money happened some time back.  The Dean of my college wanted to run an ad in the newspapers and magazines touting the exceptional services provided to patients at the clinics of the medical college and thought that who would be better than Bob Stoops, the coach of University of Oklahoma football team, to have his photo recommending the University of Oklahoma Clinics for the patients.  There was just one snag.  Bob Stoops is an employee of University of Oklahoma, but he wanted about $100,000 to do the photo shoot.  Ouch, said the Dean  :wink: and he got another photo for the ad and he paid none of the models a single penny.  :(

No Appearance Money for These Guys and Gals

Oh man, a particular member at Sports-India has no shame in coming up with a devious way to toot his own horn.  :wink: :D
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

:Offtopic: What is that guy doing with the stethoscope?  Was that the idea of the photographer in case the educationally challenged American couldn't figure out what all you guys in the photo actually did?
puneets

Post by puneets »

BSharma- I can see that you have surrounded yourself by balding and white haired men.  Nice ploy Sharmaji ;)
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Doc is quite handsome!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

puneets wrote: BSharma- I can see that you have surrounded yourself by balding and white haired men.  Nice ploy Sharmaji ;)
My hair is real; the black color is fake.  :D  
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

S_K_S wrote: :Offtopic: What is that guy doing with the stethoscope?  Was that the idea of the photographer in case the educationally challenged American couldn't figure out what all you guys in the photo actually did?
The guy with the stethoscope is Vice-Chair of Internal Medicine.  The ad agency people tell you what to do and he wanted someone to put a stethoscope around the neck and I am glad that he did not choose me.  Samarth is correct - Oklahomans are educationally challenged!  We had to show up at 7 a.m. - a time that was convenient to all of us - and I had spilled coffee on my white coat while we waited for the photographer to set up his camera.  I did my best to hide the coffee stain.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

By the way Doc I have this terrible psychiatric condition and I really must see Dr Gleason! It's a matter of life and death!  :devil:

There will be a very puzzled IT guy at the OU tomorrow when he sees why this pdf page has had hundreds of hits overnight!! LOL!
Last edited by S_K_S on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.