Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Post Contact Info For New Spreadsheet

Post by jayakris »

We digress, but my wife is actually from Uduppi.  It would be a pleasure to feed you and family some idli and sambar!! ..

Not sure our tennis players would prefer idli-sambar though.  Ramesh Krishnan is the only one who managed topnotch stuff in the modern era with just an idli-sambar diet :) ....  Avocado sandwich worked for Harsh for a short while when he experimented as a vegetarian many years back, but he did not take it too far.  Hence my comment that even beef is OK in our house.. I can make a mean beef kheema, but my wife's mild turkey kheema is certainly better.

Jay
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Jay, interesting that your wife is a Tulu speaker. It is a small but highly influential linguistic community (centred around Mangalore, right?). I believe Ash Rai is a Tulu too, for instance. I came across a lot of Tulus in the US. So, do your children speak all five languages (the three between the two of you, plus English and Tamil)?
My children unfortunately are not so linguistically gifted (yet!). My daughter speaks English, Hindi and Spanish (but no Bengali  :( or Nepali, my other two languages), and a smattering of Chinese. My son sticks exclusively to English, but loves picking up the occasional word of Spanish (from his Didi) or French (from Ratatouille, Asterix or other assorted sources). 
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Sadly, pretty much only English for our kids, though through classical music and chinmaya mission classes, they have the ability to pronounce both sanskrit-based and tamil-based sounds in Indian languages.  Tough for them to pick up enough of the languages to speak, as their parents don't know each other's languages well enough and speaks English most of the time.  My wife comes from the same community you mention (bunts) that Aish Rai comes from, by the way -- they are somewhat distantly related, but pretty much all bunts in the world seems to need only 4 to 5 degrees of separation anyway  (Shetty is the most common surname for bunts) ..

I believe Nirmit Shetty and Iciri Rai are the only known tennis players from the bunt community.  Prajwal Hegde is the best known tennis writer who is a bunt.

Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

amr090 wrote:
Frequent posters who have yet to send me info include:

Jay, Samarth (S_K_S), Jaydeep, gvhvhg (Ashish), prasen9, arjun, jai_in_canada, Varma, genius, Insider, krinix.
Arun, I would love to help - and I have the space to do so.  But I do have some challenges with my travel schedule, my location not having great public transit in case I am not able to drive the players, and a couple of other personal challenges.  That is what has prevented me thus far from making a commitment in this regard.  I will PM you when I get these things sorted out.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

jayakris wrote: Shetty is the most common surname for bunts..
:Offtopic:

Really? My cousin (sister) got married to a Shetty family in Bangalore. It was an arranged marriage.  Though our last name isn't Shetty, we are considered to be the from the same community in Andhra (as Karnataka Shettys). Not sure what that means. It's all so confusing :)  My wife is a Gujju and she still thinks all South Indians speak Tamil (she is one of those! :))  Doc, we would love to feed you idli/sambhar - my wife cooks "mean" south indian stuff!  I've been meaning to invite punarayan and his family for a while now - never got around to doing it.  Maybe in the summer!!
Last edited by gbelday on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I was not aware of the Bunt community of Dakshina Kannada (or South Canara, as it used to be called) district of Karnataka to have an equivalent community in AP.  The nairs of Kerala (which I am part of) and Bunts of DK are considered of nearly identical traditions and differ really only in their language.  Both communities have a matrilineal system of traditional property ownership (called "marumakkattAyam" in malayALam and "aLiyasampRadAyam" in tuLu) - and both are supposed to have had this traiditon develop due to the need for men to be away in the military etc ...  I will investigate into whether the Shetties of AP are connected too.

Probably should move all this to the chit chat forum.

Jay
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Is this still needed?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Are you so upset at how the Olympics is going, that you went looking for obscure threads to complain about? :) Jay
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jay, I think s/he meant to ask if we were still adding contacts to the list. S/he might be our first member from Switzerland.

I would love to get a copy of the list that was compiled. Not sure if it was ever posted or sent to interested members.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Ah, got it. SH was asking if his/her contact info is needed... I thought it was a question on whether the thread was needed anymore .. Gosh, Olympics is leaving our brains fried, and we are getting confused at siumple English lines these days :)

SH, you reminded us to restart this activity. Arun, who initially wanted to keep up a contact list, disappeared a few years back (well, moving on with his life, but after a couple of years break he showed up a couple of times last year to say hi to everybody)...

I think this is still a worthwhile activity. I am willing to keep a contact list for everybody. Feel free to PM me (or email me at rjayakri at uci.edu ). I will come back and remind everybody after the Olympics is done...

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Haha, it only took me 10 years to come back and remind everybody to feel free to leave your contact info here.

Give us some way to reach you and check on you If any of you disappear for a long time, that is. Not serious details that can be used by criminals to drain your bank account or anything! In my case, you can always contact Department of Civil Engineering at University of California, Irvine, to check what happened to the crazy professor Jayakrishnan -- if I disappear for 3-4 months at a stretch and nobody here knows my phone number (of course, a few here do know my phone number!).

I thought of this today, and went searching for the thread, as we are still worrying about what happened to Jai_in_Canada suddenly several months ago. It looks like nobody knows how to check on Jai.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

This is an interesting thread. Imagine if everyone got our number and started a WhatsApp group. We would be so bugged. 5000 messages a day. Pkb and prasen fighting on some point. :D Saniafan or whosoever that individual was (with double eye girl as profile pic), constantly ranting against Sania Mirza. good this thread never became big.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Haha, that was Saniapower! I miss that dude. Was the definition of a trouble-maker, but was a good sport too, all said and done.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Omkara wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:23 am This is an interesting thread. Imagine if everyone got our number and started a WhatsApp group. We would be so bugged. 5000 messages a day. Pkb and prasen fighting on some point. :D Saniafan or whosoever that individual was (with double eye girl as profile pic), constantly ranting against Sania Mirza. good this thread never became big.
:mad:
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

It was SaniaPower.