General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

2007 Indian Tennis Quiz

Post by BSharma »

This is the time of the year when I usually bring out my Top Ten list about Gifts from Santa Claus (I was right about Harsh Mankad  woohoo) or Sports-India Wacky Sports Awards.  I thought I might try something different this time and I have come up with a “2007 Indian Tennis Quiz” that has ten questions to see how attentive you have been in keeping up with the Indian tennis scene this year.  If you have trouble answering question #4, you will probably pull your hair and say, “I knew it.  I should have paid more attention to what Jaydeep writes in his posts.”  The tenth and last question is the only one that may not have an answer in the forum although I will not be surprised if Jay has not written about it somewhere in the forum.  Jay can answer correctly all the questions in his dream, but this quiz is to see if you have what it takes to become a "SwamiIndianTennisNanda".  :D

So brush up on Indian tennis news of 2007 until I post the quiz shortly.  No peeking allowed once the quiz gets posted.

Good luck.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Re: 2007 Indian Tennis Quiz

Post by BSharma »

Sports India Tennis Quiz:

1.  Sania Mirza is an outstanding doubles player and it is evident by the fact that she has won four WTA doubles titles in 2007.  She has also found success with different partners in women’s doubles. 

Which female player/players has/have partnered her MOST often on the WTA Tour in 2007?

A.  P Schnyder
B.  S. Peer
C.  B. Mattek
D.  Both A and B
E.  Both B and C

2.  Which Indian male tennis player beat the highest ranked player in singles in 2007 (invitational tournaments are excluded)?

A.  Rohan Bopanna
B.  Prakash Amritraj
C.  Karan Rastogi
D.  Somdev Varman
E.  Sunil Kumar Sipaeya

3.  Sania Mirza is a player who rarely loses to players ranked far below her.  Did she lose a singles match on the Tour in 2007 to a player NOT ranked in the top 200?

A.  Yes
B.  No

4.  Shikha and Neha Uberoi have three sisters who have played in professional tennis tournaments.  Their names are the following, EXCEPT:

A.  Diya
B.  Naina
C.  Nimita
D.  Nikita

5.  Sania Mirza’s singles record in 2007 was 30-19 and the highest WTA ranked player she defeated in 2007 was ranked between:

A.  #1 - #4
B.  #5 - #8
C.  #9 - #12
D.  #13 - #16
E.  #17 - #20

6.  India played two Davis Cup ties in 2007 and the following players besides Leander Paes were part of the team.  Which player did NOT get to play in the Davis Cup matches?

A.  Karan Rastogi
B.  Vivek Shokeen
C.  Sunil Kumar Sipaeya
D.  Divij Sharan
E.  Rohan Bopanna

7.  Mahesh Bhupathi had an average year on the Tour in 2007 and his doubles record was 29-19 while the win-loss record of Leander Paes at 40-29 was slightly better.  The CORRECT statement about them is:

A.  Leander Paes won more men’s doubles titles than Mahesh Bhupathi in 2007
B.  Both of them won the same number of men’s doubles titles in 2007
C.  Mahesh Bhupathi won more men’s doubles titles than Leander Paes in 2007

Bonus question – Which player has more career men’s doubles titles?

8.  Graduating from Futures and Challenger level tournaments to ATP level tournaments (International Series) and Slams is the goal of professional male tennis players.  Which of the following Indian players played the MOST ROUNDS at main singles draws at ATP level tournaments (not Challengers/Futures) in 2007 (invitational tournaments are excluded)?

A.  Prakash Amritraj 
B.  Rohan Bopanna 
C.  Somdev Varman 
D.  Karan Rastogi 
E.  Navdeep Singh

9.  Yuki Bambri and Poojashree Venkatesha are the highest ranked junior Indian tennis players, per International Tennis Federation (ITF).  Who is ranked higher?

A.  Poojashree Venkatesha
B.  Yuki Bambri

10.  Tennis is the biggest part of Sports-India forum, but the golf section remains quite busy with Jeev Milkha Singh, Jyoti Randhawa, Arjun Atwal, Daniel Chopra, Shiv Kapur, Smriti Mehra, Vijay Singh and other players doing well in golf tournaments all over the world.  Jeev made history when he became the first Indian golfer to play at The Masters in 2007, Daniel Chopra won a PGA Tour title and Smriti Mehra won a conditional card for the 2008 LPGA Tour.  Here is tennis question that involves golf.

One Indian professional tennis player rubbed shoulders with Fijian golfer Vijay Singh in an exhibition event in New Delhi and then partnered Indian professional golfer Mukesh Kumar at the Royal Challenge Grand Prix pro-am meet in India and carded a score of plus 12.  Name the tennis player.

A.  Mahesh Bhupathi
B.  Leander Paes
C.  Sania Mirza
D.  Prakash Amritraj
E.  Vijay Amritraj

End of quiz.  How well did you do?

Grading:

Number of Correct answers:

Less than 10 because you found an error in the answer sheet – You must be Jay

10:  You are a true disciple of the great SwamiIndianTennisNanda aka Prof. Jay and the Swami will bestow you with an appropriate title that you can add to your user name at Sports-India.

10:  …and you also can give the history behind each correct answer or were present when each of the ten events took place – You must be PKB or his true disciple

8 to 9:   You spend too much time gathering news for Sports-India or you memorize every word that Sameer and Jaydeep post in the forum.  You have made Sameer and Jaydeep proud of your performance on the quiz.

6 to 7:  Your work ethics is not up to par and you must spend more time keeping up with the Indian tennis scene rather than writing about the poor work ethics of Indian tennis players.

4 to 5:  You spend too much time making Top Ten lists  :oops: or reading them or your favorite section in the forum is the General Chit Chat section. 

3 or less:  Oh man, you belong to the wrong Sports Forum and it appears that cricket is your only cup of tea.  :D

How can you grade your performance if you don't have the answer sheet?  Good question. :D

Correct Answers:

1.  Sania has played three tournaments each with Peer and Mattek and has played with Schnyder in two tournaments in 2007.

2.  Rohan Bopanna beat #134 Mischa Zverev of Germany at Dublin Challenger in July 2007).  Prakash Amritraj defeated #142 Ilia Bozoljac of SRB at Newport in July 2007.
Somdev Varman beat #99 Robert Kendrick at Kennedy Funding invitational, New York in July 2007 but it was an invitational tournament and is excluded from consideration for this quiz.  Karan Rastogi won over #105 Thiago Alves at Chennai Open in Jan 2007. 

3.  Ma Emilia Salerrni of Argentina was ranked #213 when Sania lost 2-6 5-7 to her on clay courts at Morocco in May 2007.

4.  Diya is the oldest daughter of Madhu and Mahesh Uberoi and the youngest are the twins – Nimita and Nikita.  Diya played in the $10,000 Tallahasse Qualifying Draw in 2003 and the twins played in Aurangabad Qualifying Draw in 2007.

5.  Sania beat Martina Hingis (ranked #12 by WTA then) in Aug 2007 and it was her victory over the highest ranked player in 2007.

6.  Divij Sharan was part of the Indian Davis Cup team against Kazakhstan but did not play a match.

7.  Both Paes and Bhupathi won two men’s doubles titles each in 2007.  Paes won ATP Masters Series Indian Wells (w/Damm) and Rotterdam (w/Damm) while Bhupathi was winner at ATP Masters Series Canada (w/Vizner) and New Haven (w/Zimonjic).  Bhupathi leads 41-39 over Paes in career men’s doubles titles.

8.  Prakash Amritraj  4 (3 rounds at Newport and 1 round at Chennai); Rohan Bopanna  3 (one round each at Stockholm, Mumbai and Beijing; Somdev Varman  2 (one round each at Washington DC and Mumbai); Karan Rastogi  2 (2 rounds at Chennai); Navdeep Singh 1 (1 round at Mumbai)

9.  Yuki Bambri is ranked #34 amongst boys and Poojashree is ranked #53 amongst girls in the world, as of December 16, 2007.

10.  Leander Paes played with Vijay Singh in Delhi and then partnered Mukesh Kumar in Kolkata.  He is known to occasionally play golf when he gets some time off from his hectic tennis schedule.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

How well did I do in my own Indian Tennis Quiz? 

Not well.  I was one wrong answer away from being debarred from Sports-India and asked to join an exclusive cricket forum where I could argue if Tendulkar is the only cricket god or not.  :oops:

How could I not do well in my own quiz?

Well, instead of making up questions about what I knew, I created questions about topics that we passionately discuss in the forum……how far up the WTA ranking ladder can Sania climb?......her losses and her quality wins?......who should play for India in Davis Cup matches?......will the glory days of Indian tennis return when a few men regularly played in the singles main draw at the highest level of competition?...... “The united we stand and divided we fall” saga of Indian Express……how good are the junior players in India?

My performance in the quiz tells me that I have been spending more time discussing male bonding and whether Ranadeb Bose and not Ishant should have been packing his luggage for the Australian tour.  :tomato:

I expect Jay and PKB to correctly answer all the questions with Jay probably finding an error or two in my answers and PKB giving a color commentary about each of those questions (darn…he can always find the time and money to get to all these tournaments  :D).  I expect Jaydeep and Sameer to not miss more than a question or two although they are capable of matching Jay and PKB's performance on the quiz.  As for the rest of you, I am eager to learn how well you did on the quiz.  Surely, you will do better than me.  :D
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Are we allowed to "research" the answers?  Or is that violation of ethics?  If it is open book, I may survive, otherwise, guys, I am packing up my bags (rapidly).
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

prasen9 wrote: Are we allowed to "research" the answers?  Or is that violation of ethics?  If it is open book, I may survive, otherwise, guys, I am packing up my bags (rapidly).
Feel free to take the quiz without preparation and after doing some research work. :D 

I answered questions number 2, 3, 4 (I got this one correct, thanks to Jaydeep) and 9 correctly although after searching for answers, I could answer all of them correctly, unless Jay or someone else finds my painstaking research to be wrong.  :oops:  I thought I knew the Indian golf news pretty well and while trying to come up with a question that dealt with Indian tennis and golf, I came up with this particular news item and of course I read the answer to my question.  If not for that news item that I read, I would have answered it wrong, hence I did not take the credit for getting it right.

Addendum:

All of you are too valuable to pack your bags and head off somewhere else.  OTOH, I still feel that Ranadeb should be packing his bags instead of Ishant. :damn:
Last edited by BSharma on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Thanks, Bhushan for your posts like which help keep the forum active when nothing much happening on the sports scene.

Unfortunately, I could not live upto your expectations & got only 7 out of 10 right.  :damn: I got no. 1, 7 & 10 as wrong.

But, I have got 1 correction to your answers.  :D  Apart from the players you mentioned above ( answer to Q. no. 8 ) , Purav Raja also played in Mumbai ATP main draw.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Whoaa .. good stuff.  need to run .. will try later.  Jay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Dr. Sharma you are a genius - not "the" genius, but "a" genius.  You have found me out!  I got only 4 answers correct.  And like a true pyschic you have divined that I spend too much time reading the Top 10 lists!  What?!  I thought that that was the best way to get "information" in a succinct format.  Sort of like reading people magazine for news or watching Fox news for the truth.  Now you have burst my bubble, and I have to read the rest of the threads.

Then again, no matter what you score, you lose.  If you get too many correct, then you are a sports geek, too few and you should not even be allowed on the tennis threads!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

sameerph wrote:
But, I have got 1 correction to your answers.  :D  Apart from the players you mentioned above ( answer to Q. no. 8 ) , Purav Raja also played in Mumbai ATP main draw.
You are correct, Sameer.  :D  I could put only five choices in the multiple-choice type of questions and I debated whether to put Navdeep's name or Purav's name as the fifth choice.  I am not sure why I picked Navdeep over Purav, but my goal was to put the information about Purav in my answer key and somehow I messed it up.  :oops:  In fact, if you look at that answer, I have several typing errors because I was cutting and pasting the answer from a MS Word document.

My goal for making the quiz was to test the knowledge of the best Indian tennis fans in the world i.e., take a bow, all of you, but also to give information as sort of a refresher course at the end of the year.  :D
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jai_in_canada wrote: ... I thought that that was the best way to get "information" in a succinct format.  Sort of like reading people magazine for news or watching Fox news for the truth.  Now you have burst my bubble, and I have to read the rest of the threads.
Oh man, what a day I am having.  :damn:  First, I get lumped with the communists by a Swami from California  :D and then the philosopher from Canada equates my Top Ten list with Fox News.  I do not know which one is worse.  :wink: :D