Is tennis falling prey to physicality

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

nballa
Please enter the middle number: 1

Is tennis falling prey to physicality

Post by nballa »

recently two american players john isner and sam querry were creating waves and world records.
both are over 6' 7" (john isner is 6' 9") and have a brute of a serve. sam querry served a record of 10 consecutive aces against james blake in his victory over him and john isner served 30 aces in three sets during his win over tommy hass in legg mason classic.

to me tennis has always been a beautiful game where skill scores over brute physicality. but i am beginning to wonder if these giants will put an end to this game as we know it. because lets face it humans are only going to grow taller and stronger.

so do you guys see a scenario in the future where the courts will be made bigger and the nets higher to accomodate these giants. or is this the beginning of the end of tennis as we know it. tommy hass recently joked that players over 6' 6" should not be allowed on court. i mean if you are ranked 500 in the world and take down a no 12 then its got to be physical right?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Is tennis falling prey to physicality

Post by jayakris »

Nah..  The same tall giant lost in back to back weeks to a 5-11 guy twice in a row just a couple of months back.  The guys will figure out Isner a little better.  It is not jst his height that helps him win.  He is a pretty damn good player too.

Jay
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Is tennis falling prey to physicality

Post by arjun2761 »

Hey, there is always wheel chair tennis :D

Of course, Isner is 416 only because he has played only 4 tournaments -- two of which he has won.