ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by Sin Hombre »

All that should indicate is that post-peak Federer is better than post-peak Nadal on hards which makes sense given the latter has lost his insane retrieving ability of his younger days.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, but, as long as they continue to play, post-peak records will also be part of their legacy and will define the total body of work done by both.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Also, these guys are winning 2 grand slam in a year. I am starting to wonder what is peak!!
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Fed didn't just beat him, he wiped the floor with him. Nadal didn't get a look in. Nadal is as much lost as to what to do against Fed as Fed was against Nadal at his peak.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

On grass and indoor, yes. Outdoor hard will be more competitive. On clay, it is the other way.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 pm All that should indicate is that post-peak Federer is better than post-peak Nadal on hards which makes sense given the latter has lost his insane retrieving ability of his younger days.
Given that are still 1st and 2nd in the rankings, how is this relevant. Arguably, this period is now an extension of their peaks....
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

SaniaFan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:08 pm Also, these guys are winning 2 grand slam in a year. I am starting to wonder what is peak!!
Yes, you make a lot of sense....
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

arjun2761 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:03 pm
Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 pm All that should indicate is that post-peak Federer is better than post-peak Nadal on hards which makes sense given the latter has lost his insane retrieving ability of his younger days.
Given that are still 1st and 2nd in the rankings, how is this relevant. Arguably, this period is now an extension of their peaks....
If you think their current level is anywhere near their peaks, then clearly you haven't seen much of them in 2006-11.

Rafa went 2 years without a GS and Federer had one GS in 6 years going into 2017; of course, they are still good enough to dominate the likes of Cilic, Dimitrov and co in a decimated field.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

What is the definition of peak? When a player is playing his best or when a player is playing better than other players? I guess when he is playing his best would be the peak. And that is where I am not sure if they are much off their peak.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Great win by Chung in the next gen final. Perfect combination of defence and attack with the defending being almost at Murray level at times. Should be a good boost for Asian tennis. For me the next gen was a success.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Yes, Chung played unbelievable tennis to win the inaugural championship and also his maiden pro title. Stunning defense and ice cool demeanor seems to be his hallmark. He had to be obviously good to be at 54 in the world, but I never knew he was this good. Rubulev played very well the first set and half. But he seems to be perfectly fitting the typical type-casted "Russian". I loved the high quality tennis this match offered, but by the time the trophy presentation was over I just loathed this guy. What a sore loser he turned out to be! His team should teach him how to show some respect to his opponent after a loss. Throughout the ceremony and the following photo session he acted like an 8 year old spoiled brat. I am pretty sure he is going to receive a lot flak on social media for his behavior.

Congratulations, Hyeon Chung! :clap:

- Varma
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

He's 20 and he lost his first final so I'd cut him some slack. Easier to be all gracious when you have won double digit slams. I like the fact that he didn't like losing. Losing sucks. I hope he comes out all guns blazing at the Aussie Open with the memory of that loss.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Well done Chung. Some semi-racist posts on MTF in the aftermath unsurprisingly.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Wow, great run by Chung. Will he reach where Nishikori has reached in rankings ?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Andrey Rublev's comments after the match.
“I was playing much better than him. I was, like you said, dictating the match, and then just because I get — I let my emotion go out and everything changed,” Rublev said. “From a little thing, I just lost my control and that's it. I just lost because of my head.”

About Hyeon Chung -
“Mentally he's really strong. No matter what, he never gives up. He always fighting. If he feel he's losing, he’s still always there. He never complains. He never shows emotion,” Rublev said of Chung, who earned his first ATP World Tour title. “That's why most of the time he wins tough matches. When the matches are close, he always wins, because mentally, no matter what, he always there. That's what's happened to me with us today. I was playing better, I was controlling the match, but in one point I let my emotion go out, and when he was losing he was still focused. And that's it.”