ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Y2K
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by Y2K »

It will be interesting to see how Delpo plays on clay.Sad that the next gen are still not enough to compete Rafa and Roger.Talent is there but inconsistent.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

The gap between Rafa and the rest on clay is awesome to behold. To beat Thiem (the next best on clay) 0 and 2 is just ludicrously good. And Rafa takes the momentum from the clay season into the rest of the year.
Let us see how badly Dimitrov gets thrashed.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Amazing performance to win title #11 at Monte Carlo. The feeling of inevitability and the ability to grind the opposition into the dirt and them beat him is amazing. We have never seen this kind of dominance in tennis ever and will probably never see it again. King of Clay is truly Nadal.

36 straight sets on clay. Only taken to 4 games on 6 occasions. https://twitter.com/RafaelNadalFC/statu ... 03521?s=19
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Excellent run by Greek teenager Tsitsipas to reach the finals at Barcelona, beating Schwartzman, Ramos-Vinolas, Thiem and Carreno-Busta in straight sets. Next up is clay goat Nadal.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

What a shellacking of Nadal by Thiem. He was aggressive throughout and played an amazing game. Some of the shots were unbelievable! Good. French Open may get interesting if Thiem can become consistent(ly good).
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Judging by the scoreline, “shellacking” seems too strong a word :) Thiem seems the only one who can beat Nadal (occasionally) on clay. He lost the final to Sasha Zverev!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKB, true. But did you watch the game? Thiem made an adjustment in that he stood closer to the line. Maybe 1 foot out instead of 3. And, so he was getting the ball early and hitting the hide off it. He was moving to take everything in his forehand even if he had to run out of the court. He was was coming up to the net and hitting incredible shots from the baseline. Nadal was on the defensive. Thiem was never behind and even when he was broken in Set 2 when Nadal broke him to even up the set, he broke Nadal right back in the next game.

So, maybe shellacking was not wrt the score, but on the field Thiem had significant control and was hitting some incredible shots.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

OK, very interesting, so a tactical adjustment made all the difference. You obviously seem to watch a lot of clay tennis; unfortunately, I largely ignore the clay season! (Explains our preferences among the contemporary greats...).
NeerajC

Post by NeerajC »

Madrid altitude is also a factor (right?) since the balls tend to fly and Rafa has not been as successful in Madrid as he has been in Paris/Barcelona/Monte Carlo etc.

I didn't watch the match but going by all the Thiem played super aggressive.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 am OK, very interesting, so a tactical adjustment made all the difference. You obviously seem to watch a lot of clay tennis; unfortunately, I largely ignore the clay season! (Explains our preferences among the contemporary greats...).
Actually, this is also a function of when I have time. During the semester, I don't watch that much. Right after the semester is done I have more time. Then again later on in the summer, it gets busy. I like watching grass court tennis too unless one player is a out and out server (not any in the top-10, who have more to their game).

Yes, maybe it was Madrid that made the difference. And maybe it was just one day when Thiem was on a song and Nadal was steady, maybe even good, but nothing spectacular. Thiem did play aggressive with respect to clay courts. He did not flat out serve and volley but he came up on many more occasions than what Nadal did and what the average clay-courter does.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Nice write up by Marco Trungelliti on ATP Tour site about his journey/ experience of getting lucky loser opportunity at Roland Garros.

Trungelliti: My Mad Dash With Grandma Back To Roland Garros
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I'm glad he mentioned Prajnesh. The New York Times' Ben Rutherford has a detailed story with the full lowdown on what happened to Prajnesh.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Djokovic pulls through. Sasha survives again. And Dimitrov is out. Djokovic getting into top-10ish form?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sasha got dumped by Thiem, who may be Nadal's biggest threat. Checchinato is dominating Djokovic in the first set ...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

I think Sasha would actually have been the greatest threat to Nadal. But he played too many five-setters, and the toll told on him (particularly his hamstring) today. Amazing that he was still hitting away all the way to the end.

Cecchinato has been a surprise and a revelation at this French Open, coming seemingly from nowhere. He took the first two sets -- including an amazing second set of great clay court tennis -- but is running out of steam in the third set. He has very little experience with 5-setters, so I suspect Djoker will come through this one (but will probably fall to Thiem).