ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by prasen9 »

At the end of the day, whoever goes unbeaten will win. Federer does not have the #1 seed because he sat out the French. If he wants to have the benefits of that, he has to pay the price for that (if at all there is a price). No point crying. The man himself is not (at least not publicly).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 pm Hyeon Chung won the NextGen ("Race to Milan") Finals last year, so he is officially the most exciting player of the next generation (although Sasha Zverev and Thiem didn't participate in the tournament).
The Koreans have come up with a veritable pipeline of tennis players, just as they have in golf (and especially women's golf).
Theim is 24 now and was not eligible for the Next Gen finals which is for those 21 and younger....
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Nadal may be having easy draw but the way he is thrashing opponents is impressive. Next up for is Schwartzman which should be another easy match. His first real test should come against Cilic in the QF and then most likely the winner of Dimitov-Kyrgois match which is next up. Still, path to the final for him looks relatively easy.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, Nadal has not had a big test. However, inherently, this is a faster court than the USO. So, I don't expect him to go all the way.

On another note. The next generation (or half-generation if you want to call it that) after Federer, i.e., Nadal, Djokovic, Murray have largely fizzled. They could not stay fit. Except Nadal maybe. And the next-next has not yet broken through. Dimitrov-Thiem-Zverev need to step up. Maybe this is their breakout tournament. So the interesting subtext for me is whether the new-geners will arrive. Or will it again be Nadal-Federer. By just random probabilities, the chances are that either Nadal or Federer will lose before the finals. So, maybe we will have a new champion.

(I do not think Wawrinka, Cilic or Del Potro are going to win several (>5) GSs and hence not taking them into the equation. Maybe I am being unduly favorable to Murray than Wawrinka.)
Varma

Post by Varma »

Chung vs Zverev is in 5th set with the former up 3-0 serving with 2 breaks. He is playing unbelievable Tennis with great authority! This guy with his ice cool demeanor could be the best of the NextGen, just the way he quietly demonstrated at Milan!

- Varma
Prem

Post by Prem »

Chung wins it 6-0 in the decider against the 4th seed.
6-3, 6-0 in last 2 sets is impressive...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

So now, it is possibly Nadal-Cilic, Dimitrov-Kyrgios, Thiem-Djokovic, and Federer. Not to discount the unnamed, lower-ranked upsetter.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Dimitrov-Kyrgios is in the 4th round today. This is going to be a cracking match. The winner will face the winner of Edmund-Seppi which is on now.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Diego Schwartzman, all of 5'7", is giving Rafa a run for his money. Huge respect for this diminutive Argentine! Sumit should consider emulating him.

- Varma
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Nadal got thru in 4 sets against Schwartzman. Now he will be up against Cilic in the QF which I think he should get thru. Dimitrov got thru against Kyrgois. He is up against Brit Kyle Edmund next. Looks like Nadal-Dimtrov should be the SF from this half with Nadal being the slight favourite in that.

I think Chung can provide tough challenge to not yet 100% Djoker tomorrow. Other 3 matches R16 matches their look easier ones for Federer, Thiem and Berdych.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I'm hoping Thiem & Dimitrov make the semis - I want some competitive semi-finals, and I want ONE of these next generation guys to really step up.
nitin28

Post by nitin28 »

hyeon chung takes first set against djokovic 7-6(4)
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

prasen9 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm The next generation (or half-generation if you want to call it that) after Federer, i.e., Nadal, Djokovic, Murray have largely fizzled.
The second highest GS winner and the 4th highest GS winner of all time have largely fizzled prasen?

You have high standards.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

PKBasu wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:52 pm
Sin Hombre wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 am
Prashant wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:00 am Totally agree PKB - the draw is incredibly bottom heavy. Federer has Raonic, Berdych (always decent at the AO), del Potro, Goffin, Djokovich, both Zverevs, Thiem, and Wawrinka (also always decent at the AO).

In contrast, Nadal has only Kyrgios, Cilic & Dimitrov as contenders in his half, and only Cilic is even in his quarter.
Having Djokovic (six times champion, the man who has won the AO more often than anybody else in the Open era) in one half is an order of magnitude different from having the likes of Kyrgios and Dimitrov in the other half.

Federer has a tougher opponent at every stage than Nadal. Next up is the dangerous Gasquet, while Nadal will play Dzhumur, followed Schwartzman of Argentina. DelPotro is the QF opponent likely for Federer, and Djokovic the SF opponent (unless Sasha or Chung is able to beat the six-times champion). Sasha is the genuine #3 in the world right now: that he faces Djokovic so early in the draw is absurd.
This is clearly proving not to be the case.

4th round
Schwartzman >> Fucsovics

QF
CIlic >> Berdych

SF

Dimitrov >>> Chung/Sandgren

Federer's draw is a complete cakewalk. Highest ranked player is a heavily declined Berdych who is ranked #19

If Rafa doesn't make it from the other half, it will be an even easier run than the latter's USO.

Of course, Djokovic could somehow come back from 2 sets down against Chung and also recover from his elbow troubles in time for the semis.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Varma wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:53 am Diego Schwartzman, all of 5'7", is giving Rafa a run for his money. Huge respect for this diminutive Argentine! Sumit should consider emulating him.

- Varma
I was at Rod Laver watching this match and I cannot agree more.

I knew of Diego as a feisty resilient player before but he won over a lot of fans yesterday.

Sumit talks of Ferrer as his inspiration but the Spaniard was a very talented and technical shotmaker from the start. Diego on the other hand is the shortest player in the top 30 and has really grinded his way up. He has gotten his serve up to the 190 and has great disguise which allowed him to even serve 140k unreturnable services.

More importantly, and has parallels with Yuki's R1 match, the crowd was completely in favour of Rafa at the start (bar one vocal Diego supporter) but his determined play won over most of the crowd by the end.