ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by PKBasu »

Khachanov broke Alcaraz in the middle of the third set to even it up, but Alcaraz broke soon after. He was not quite as flawless in this match as the previous one against Korda, but still won quite easily. Next up is a tougher one against Sasha Zverev.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am predicting Djokovic over Nadal. Nadal had a gruelling five setter and is generally more creaky than ever. His physical abilities are slightly down. (And, no this is not me trying to hedge emotionally.)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Maran Cilic pulls off a big upset to take out Medvedev. So, bottom half is open now- one all Scandinavian QF between Dane Rune and Norwegian Rudd and other between Rublev and Cilic.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The top half of the draw is like the first division, and the bottom half a distinctly lower-quality second division :)

Top half has holder Djokovic vs the greatest clay courter of all time Nadal in the QF, with the winner to take on the great next tennis hope (and winner at Miami and Madrid Masters this year) Alcaraz vs Olympic gold medallist Zverev.

The bottom half has Rune-Ruud (an interesting all-Scandinavian clash, among the first Danish and Norwegian males to get this far in a Slam) and Cilic-Rublev. Cilic won his single Slam 8 years ago. The top half will surely pick the winner, unless the big guns thoroughly tire each other out...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sasha running away with the match against the young phenom! Zverev up 64 64 44.
Carlos hasn't had an answer for Sasha yet, surprisingly!
But he finds one at last, to break Sasha in the 10th game and take the third set. 46 46 64 00
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Sasha won thru to the SF in 4 sets. Watched only parts of the match but looks like Alcarez was not at his best in this match.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Too much hype too soon for the youngster. Sasha the Olympic champion (and 2-time Tour Finals champion) won it 64 64 46 76(7). Sasha has only made one Slam final (the one he lost to Thiem, USO 2020). Will he be able to overcome the winner of Djokovic-Nadal??
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Alcaraz peaked too early and needs some experience to pace it right. He barely escaped a few rounds ago and that was when it was obvious that he did not have much left. Of course, stranger things have happened. So, it is now up to generation next to stop the oldies and gen next-next has to wait. Sasha told Alcaraz that he will win the FO some day.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We can't say the hype got to him when people here have been hyping him as the favourite :D

I created the Alcaraz bandwagon here and still think he is likely to be the next #1 but Nadal and Djokovic are in their mid-30s now (and Federer done) so winning Masters 1000s is not high on their agenda and fans need to realize that winning a M1000 is not indicative of GS at this point.

However, winning a GS is a completely different level and Alcaraz is still not there. I think the USO will be his first real chance.

There have been only 2 GS in the past 6 years which were not won by the big 3.

USO 2020 where Nadal didn't play and Djokovic got defaulted, so Thiem kinda won by default.

USO 2021 where Nadal again didn't play and Medvedev deservedly beat Djokovic. Medvedev has gotten to 2 finals, 2019 USO (where Djokovic retired) and 2022 AO (where Novak wasn't allowed to play) and lost in the finals to Rafa in both.

So outside of Federer, no one has won a GS where both Nadal and Djokovic competed since 2016!
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I don't know when a bandwagon is created but the first mention was by Jaydeep who called him "talented 17 yrs. old Spaniard" on Sep 21, 2020. Then Dinesh mentioned him being tough in Feb 2021. Then Jaydeep called him a phenom on May 23d and PKB called him that on May 26th.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:27 am I think Alcaraz is almost certainly going to be the next big star in tennis.

Best teenage prodigy since Nadal himself almost 2 decades back. No real weakness in his game, except inability to win free points on serve, and has a strong mentality and head.

Going to call it that he is going to usurp the Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev generation within 2 years. Timing wise, Nadal and Djokovic will likely stop winning GS by then.
I would think this was the first post to call him the next #1.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

:-) Just needling you. Glad to have you more active here.

So, now it is a question of Nadal's body. If he can handle two more grueling games. The skills seem to be still there. Of course, the youngsters can raise their game at a big occasion. I think Nadal v. Sascha will decide the winner, but, of course, stranger things have happened. On with the matches.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

33 year old Marin Cilic found an extra gear in the STB to storm through it 10-2 and make his first FO semifinal. It was a baseline duel the rest of the way, with Cilic's first serve frequently bailing him out, and his groundies (including return of serve) often the key weakness. But Rublev was very sporting when he over-ruled the umpire/linesman in favour of his opponent to make it 2-2 in the final tiebreaker. Cilic won the next 8 points through some brilliant aggression, and high-risk shot selection that invariably worked.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

22 for Nadal woohoo
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

It is an incredible feat. 14 slams in the same tournament !!! And, the last few years with his foot and whatever syndrome he has. It required injections to numb it all of two weeks. He said he will not do it for Wimbledon although he really respects Wimbledon and wants to play Wimbledon. In essence, he will not do it again. As a fan, I wonder why. And, he does not want to go for a surgery which is iffy wrt succeeding and may need a long return time. Play, Nadal, play. Play as long as you can. Of course, it is not my body. But, I love Nadal because his matches (and I suppose a lot of great champions') matches are testimony to human perseverance. Testimony to a spirit which does not want to accept "no". What an inspiration.

My wish will be for Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Medvedev turn up at full tilt at USO and let us have a four-way slugfest for one last time and may the best win. Of course, I hope it will be Nadal. But, alas, I think Fed is done after that long period out due to surgery. Which is exactly what Nadal wants to avoid as long as he can.

Let's wait and see.